Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 18:55   #16
BANNED

Like our cabs/buses, maybe the biker wants way, always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
All the superbikes that I have ever seen always have their headlights on all the time?
Headlight ON ==> Give me way !!!
Old 31st March 2008, 19:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Its mandatory in the US since some time now on bikes but the cars there come with DRL anyway even though its not required by the law.
Can't say it is mandatory in allover US. Had been to California and have seen majority of m/cycles without DRLs. As per the California law, there should be provision for this, but not mandatory. In US many laws are not unique across the states. You know, helmet is not mandatory (or ther's not a helmet law) in Colorado, Illuinois and Iowa. See this link Mandatory Helmet law

One of my friend was there at Kansas and he told that Helmet was not mandatory there, unless you need a insurance so and so.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Can't say it is mandatory in allover US. Had been to California and have seen majority of m/cycles without DRLs. As per the California law, there should be provision for this, but not mandatory. In US many laws are not unique across the states. You know, helmet is not mandatory (or ther's not a helmet law) in Colorado, Illuinois and Iowa. See this link Mandatory Helmet law

One of my friend was there at Kansas and he told that Helmet was not mandatory there, unless you need a insurance so and so.
My CBR 600 was imported from Los Angeles and it had a switch from the factory to turn the headlights off. Of course it was an '88 model so I guess there was no rule that time but one of my best friends who is also a biker, lives in Fremont and he was telling me that you do not get any bikes now with switches to turn the headlight off, just the switch for hi/lo beam. So I'm guessing that you saw bikes with after market switches added to them like here in India. I can assure you, there wont be a single bike in the showroom of any of the brands with the switch.

Even Ohio does not require riders to wear helmets.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

It certainly makes sense for the superbikes to have the lights on at all times. With the speeds that is possible on these bikes, we might just get to hear the sound blur. The lights are a safety feature.

Most cars abroad have this feature. May not be required in India where our average speeds are low. I asked my colleague why she is driving with her Highlander's lights on. She replied they cant be switched off. I thought she was kidding me.
Old 31st March 2008, 22:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
redfire : Can't say it is mandatory in allover US. Had been to California and have seen majority of m/cycles without DRLs. .
Need to view this from CA weather point of view. CA is a state with moderate weather, and they feel they dont need such features. But even CA driver's handbook suggests you switch on your lights when things get wet.

Similar logic for European cars - Europe sees more cold / snowy weather than many parts of US. A major factor in deciding if DRL is mandatory is the weather. If weather is wet / snowy for greater /significant part of the year, you would see the DRL rule applied more.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Need to view this from CA weather point of view. CA is a state with moderate weather, and they feel they dont need such features. But even CA driver's handbook suggests you switch on your lights when things get wet.
You are right. CA is on brighter side and in the rule it may not be mandatory. Was there till last Dec for some months, mainly LA and Chicago. In Chicago I haven't seen any biker as the weather was peaking to extreme winter. All cars were running on lights (actually they can't be called as DRLs as there were no full bright days any ). But in LA I have seen majority of bikes without lights at day time, even 2007 and newer models. Anyway as Techno said we follow DLR in rides. And I personally follow DLR (park lamps/low beam) when there's poor light at day time.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Don't you get distracted by all the public beside trying to let you know desperately that the light are ON ?

I could not even manage with parking lights ON yestearday (It was cloudy and about to rain)
Oh yeah. Bollywood and the desire to preserve my car/bike's battery are what unite the nation, really.

Even in India, DRL is very useful - especially on one of those lovely older highways with a canopy over the road - where you dart in and out of the shadows continuously. It helps to be extra visible to oncoming traffic and pedestrians - as the eyes play a lot of tricks in these conditions.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

I always keep my low beams 'ON' on highways, no matter what. It surely increases the safety.

And when it is cloudy and raining heavily during daytime, parking light only won't help. You have to use your headlamps.

>> desire to preserve my car/bike's battery

How can the battery get drained if you use headlamps on a running car/bike? Battery always gets charged when the engine is running right?

Last edited by clevermax : 31st March 2008 at 23:18.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Even in India, DRL is very useful - especially on one of those lovely older highways with a canopy over the road - where you dart in and out of the shadows continuously. It helps to be extra visible to oncoming traffic and pedestrians - as the eyes play a lot of tricks in these conditions.
Yeah very true. And i love such kinds of roads.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How can the battery get drained if you use headlamps on a running car/bike? Battery always gets charged when the engine is running right?
Oh yeah. But the lets-save-the-stranger's-lights brigade thinks otherwise, I'm sure
Old 1st April 2008, 00:42   #26
BHPian

While I see a lot of guys do ride with the light on Fantastic Keep it up!- Is called the two second advantage! i.e.between a rider without his lights on and one with it on the diff in time being noticed is two seconds. - And that give the other somuch more time to take any evasive action to avoid a collision.
no one will point out your fly is open, but keep the headlights on and everyone and his aunt wants to tell you that.
Unquote
Well - isint that a good thing! Afterall thats what having a shiny set of wheels is all about!
On a more serious note -the fact that all notice you will kep them ouy of your way.
Old 1st April 2008, 07:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Oh yeah. But the lets-save-the-stranger's-lights brigade thinks otherwise, I'm sure
Exactly. Everytime I have tried DRL, I would find people trying to help me on every traffic signal to save battery(or whatever).

But on a gloomy cloudy day it is a very good practice.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:45   #28
BHPian

Drl

I ride with my Blade headlights switched on and it's a habit now, whether in my daily commute to work or a Kamikazi Sabbath ride with the boys. Does it make a difference? I think so. I certainly spot a bike or car running its lights long before I would another, or perhaps it's the contrast...I don't know. What I mean is, if ALL the vehicles on the road had their lights on in daytime, would it have made much of a difference in terms of safety for any one particular car or bike?
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

In most of the European countries (Scandi esp.) its a rule to drive with the headlights on. But it has mostly to do with the gloomy overcast situation in such countries. I am not sure if it makes sense to implement the same in India. For all I know, there would be some hazaar junta waving their hands to indicate that the light is on!
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
In most of the European countries (Scandi esp.) its a rule to drive with the headlights on. But it has mostly to do with the gloomy overcast situation in such countries. I am not sure if it makes sense to implement the same in India. For all I know, there would be some hazaar junta waving their hands to indicate that the light is on!
Fountainheader: I experience the kindly and concerned junta EVERY single day and, since I'm too polite to simply ignore them, I end up waving acknowledgement at them like some smarmy royalty passing by on his steed. I guess they take me for a raving lunatic who doesn't get the message .

Last edited by netchef : 2nd April 2008 at 20:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks