Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Superbikes - Headlights Always ON ??

All the superbikes that I have ever seen always have their headlights on all the time? (i have never ridden one, so I am not sure if they are built like that )

Any ideas for the reason for this???
Old 31st March 2008, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Daytime running lights. These are very common in cars also. Might not be in India.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

some countries like UK, US have made headlights to be always on for bikes, I am not sure if this is for cars too. This is essentially for safety purpose.

Some information here:

Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daytime headlights dubbed a dim idea : November 2006 : David Millward : UK : Telegraph Blogs
Old 31st March 2008, 12:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Technocrat : In some countries like UK, US have made headlights to be always on for bikes, I am not sure if this is for cars too.
DRL. Not yet mandatory for cars in USA. But a standard practice even for cars for many European makes. So, if you have an 'import' in USA (an European car), then chances are that your car has DRL.

Reason - safety. For better visibility to on-coming vehicles.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

You'll find the same on my bike(s) and car too. Its a regular Pulsar Its just safer to ride/drive with lights on.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Daytime running lights are a fantastic safety move. I keep the low beam lights on, for all highway drives (whatever the hour). Not only does it increase visibility to oncoming vehicles, but even to the guy you are overtaking in the same direction.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Daytime running lights are a fantastic safety move. I keep the low beam lights on, for all highway drives (whatever the hour). Not only does it increase visibility to oncoming vehicles, but even to the guy you are overtaking in the same direction.

GTO: well said. There is a school that counts the excess load on the charging circuit hence fuel consumption, but the benefits far outweigh the niggling downside.
As a corollary, racers in the mid 80s would disconnect the alternator and belt in their cars in the hope of marginally more usable power at the wheels? Is this practice still on?
Old 31st March 2008, 15:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

When ever I am riding on highway with my group all of us keep our headlights on. I follow this solo as well. So far not in car as yet.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

I generally request my co-riders to keep the headlights on as well.
Enables better visibility in the rear views.

or shall we say hindsight is 20/20.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
You'll find the same on my bike(s) and car too. Its a regular Pulsar Its just safer to ride/drive with lights on.
Don't you get distracted by all the public beside trying to let you know desperately that the light are ON ?

I could not even manage with parking lights ON yestearday (It was cloudy and about to rain)
Old 31st March 2008, 15:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Don't you get distracted by all the public beside trying to let you know desperately that the light are ON ?

I could not even manage with parking lights ON yestearday (It was cloudy and about to rain)

no one will point out your fly is open, but keep the headlights on and everyone and his aunt wants to tell you that.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:50   #12
BHPian

It is recommended that all two-wheelers have their lights turned on during the day as well as night, since it makes them more recognizable. Most superbikes come preset with Daytime Riding Lights, which get turned on automatically when the bike is in motion. It is a precautionary measures, highly recommended for two-wheeler, not really required for 4-wheelers unless the day time weather reduces visibility.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:59   #13
BHPian

It's a safety measure to prevent any ontoward incidents. It's a good practice to drive with lights on during times when it is cloudy or when it appears dark.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its mandatory in the US since some time now on bikes but the cars there come with DRL anyway even though its not required by the law. In the UK, I'm guessing its come into effect only recently because I've always noticed that an SBK imported from a European country or even Australia used to have the option to switch the headlights off. I haven't really seen a new bike from that region in some time now. You will always notice that a bike from the US market will always have its front turn signals turned on along with the headlights as well.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Daytime lights dont make too much sense in India except when overcast or cloudy.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons the concept evolved was due to gloomy days when visibility was low.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks