Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 20:40   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

is yamaha planning to launch r6 too in india ?

hi guys,
any update of r6 being launched in india, r1 is too costly,
any body have some new above it please share.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure on this but I believe there is some restriction or extra tax on 800 cc below bikes or something like that & thats why Yamaha brought the R1 & MT01.

Will find out more on this & confirm.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:11   #3
BHPian

Saw one last week near Poona Motors in camp.it was white and red,looks awesome I must say.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am not sure on this but I believe there is some restriction or extra tax on 800 cc below bikes or something like that & thats why Yamaha brought the R1 & MT01.

Will find out more on this & confirm.
you're right about the restriction...homologation is waived for bikes over 800cc
Old 16th April 2008, 22:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
Saw one last week near Poona Motors in camp.it was white and red,looks awesome I must say.
What did you see Payam, the R1 or the R6 or the R15?
Old 16th April 2008, 23:19   #6
BHPian

The price difference between the R1 and R6 I'm guessing should not be a a whole lot. Here in the US its only a 2000$ difference. While the r6 sells for 9500 the r1 sells for 11K+.
Old 17th April 2008, 01:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nope. The R6 will not be launched due to homologation issues (which will make up 15% of actual vehicle cost itself, if done) of bikes <800cc. At least not in the immediate future. Confirmed from Yamaha guys themselves.

Although the Fazer is en' route.....expensive, though....

Not much holds in store for Yamaha unless they go the CKD/SKD route with proper service & warranty backup, like the rest of the import markets.

OT: We can expect the first CKD/SKD's to come from our local maker, if you catch the drift...
Old 17th April 2008, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
hi guys,
any update of r6 being launched in india, r1 is too costly,
any body have some new above it please share.
There is no huge difference in the price between R6 and R1.
The 'Indian' R1 costs arnd 12L on-road, hence R6 should cost at least 8-9 L.
Old 29th July 2010, 10:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

I just heard from someone that Yamaha is actually launching the R6 within this financial year.

Does anyone know if there could be any truth to this?

I'm aware of the < 800cc rule. How is it that Kawasaki India is getting around this for the 650R that they propose to launch. Does the Thai free trade agreement create some exceptions to this rule?

Thanks in advance !!
Old 29th July 2010, 22:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

R6 may not be a hit if there is no big price difference between this and R1. Also, I heard people get bored with a 600 before long and tend to move on to a litre calss or more. And, in Indian context CCs command more respect. In other words, there is no substitute for CCs.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: is yamaha planning to launch r6 too in india ?

Any news on when the Yamaha R6 is being planned in India? There are a few scoops every now and then in magazines but nothing concrete. I would specifically be interested in saving up for this machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I just heard from someone that Yamaha is actually launching the R6 within this financial year.

Does anyone know if there could be any truth to this?

I'm aware of the < 800cc rule. How is it that Kawasaki India is getting around this for the 650R that they propose to launch. Does the Thai free trade agreement create some exceptions to this rule?

Thanks in advance !!
+1 to this. I too would like to know how Kawasaki got around the 800cc rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
R6 may not be a hit if there is no big price difference between this and R1. Also, I heard people get bored with a 600 before long and tend to move on to a litre calss or more. And, in Indian context CCs command more respect. In other words, there is no substitute for CCs.
While this is true in other countries with fantastic roads, I hear people here complaining about the litre class superbikes being a bit difficult to handle in our Indian city traffic conditions. Compared to the 1000cc class, at least a 600cc sportbike seems like something we can manage to ride to work
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
While this is true in other countries with fantastic roads, I hear people here complaining about the litre class superbikes being a bit difficult to handle in our Indian city traffic conditions. Compared to the 1000cc class, at least a 600cc sportbike seems like something we can manage to ride to work
On the contrary, the R1 would be easier to handle in traffic compared to the R6 coz of better torgue. The R6 would have equally aggressive seating position like the R1. There is not really too much of a weight difference between the two. The R6 finds preference strictly on the track and nohwere else in comparision the R1.

Not sure of the difference between the heat generated of the R1 and R6 in traffic conditions.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:51   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
On the contrary, the R1 would be easier to handle in traffic compared to the R6 coz of better torgue. The R6 would have equally aggressive seating position like the R1. There is not really too much of a weight difference between the two. The R6 finds preference strictly on the track and nohwere else in comparision the R1.
Sorry for going slightly OT, I was of the opinion that the excess torque in the R1 makes it all the more eager to lift its front wheel readily at the slightest twitch of the throttle Solely from this view, wouldn't the R6 be easier to ride in city traffic? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Seating and weight-wise, both are almost similar I agree. Aside from that, the R6 is a very-high revving engine that is more suited to the track, I totally agree with you on that.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
+1 to this. I too would like to know how Kawasaki got around the 800cc rule.
Kawasaki has got the 650R and Hyosung got the GT650 and the ST7 down to India as CKD kits. Parts are assembled locally and shipped to dealers across the country.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:42   #15
BANNED

Having ridden both the R1 and R6 - latest gen. Let me tell you both are neither comfortable city commuters - atleast not in Bangalore. With horrendous traffic.

But to solely have one in the garage both of them are equally good for regular joes like us. People who would probably never take these bikes to the limits they are meant for.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed