Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
That my friend sums it up.

Let's just agree to disagree !! Some people like you prefer VFM over some sort of snob value or brand name. You'll not buy a Ducati but you'll buy 3 different Japanese bikes !! I will buy one 1098R and be happy

This is quite a useless argument actually. People have different opinions. No point arguing abt it.
My point exactly. I was never looking forward to this anyway.
Old 9th May 2008, 20:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let's just agree to disagree !! Some people like you prefer VFM over some sort of snob value or brand name. You'll not buy a Ducati but you'll buy 3 different Japanese bikes !! I will buy one 1098R and be happy

This is quite a useless argument actually. People have different opinions. No point arguing abt it.
I totally agree. For 50lacs, I would rather buy a used Supra/Evo/Impreza and TC my Baleno and buy 2 Jap SBKs.

The 1098R is going to be bought by upper uppers just for the snob value. Sadly these may even end up in a corner of the garage unused within a few months of purchase.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:18   #48
BHPian

as posted earlier, the first 1098r is already sold.
the person who has bought the bike is still awaiting it to reach here.(cant give out the details of that)
there is one more in the pipeline which should sell sooner than later...
Old 13th May 2008, 21:22   #49
BHPian

People,

I loaded my 2005 Ducati 749 onto a container headed for Bangalore just yestreday.

I was wondering if anyone knew how Ducati is planning to handle service in India. Do they plan to send technicians to major cities or do they plan to train service personnel in major cities? I wanted to know because the twins needs adjustment to the valve system every 6000 miles.

Also, can existing Ducatista avail the services if the bike was imported otherwise?
Old 13th May 2008, 21:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thought these wanted more maintenance than Japs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby STi View Post
People,

I loaded my 2005 Ducati 749 onto a container headed for Bangalore just yestreday.

I was wondering if anyone knew how Ducati is planning to handle service in India. Do they plan to send technicians to major cities or do they plan to train service personnel in major cities? I wanted to know because the twins needs adjustment to the valve system every 6000 miles.

Also, can existing Ducatista avail the services if the bike was imported otherwise?
Great! any idea regarding customs duty etc?
Old 14th May 2008, 09:23   #51
BHPian

My bike will be 3 years old by the time it gets to Bangalore.

I'm guessing I'll have to pay 52% of the bike's value because its coming on TR. Thats close to $6.5k.
Old 14th May 2008, 14:52   #52
BHPian

scooby sti: keep in touch with our member Doctorque - he will assist you with the service, since he is the guy from precision motors (ones who got the ducati)!! Am i right Doctorque??
Old 14th May 2008, 17:59   #53
BHPian

hmmm... that is correct... i am from PORSCHE centre mumbai though.
will definately assist you with the service part. do call when you need it at the porsche mumbai dealership.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:00   #54
BHPian

thanks guys....will keep in touch
Old 9th August 2010, 18:38   #55
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have any inputs on the quality of service from Ducati in Bbay? I've generally heard poor stories of porsche after sales and after what became of the audi showroom wondering if Ducati ownership is a nightmare or have they got their act together.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:36   #56
BANNED

Well, food for thought .. Ducati sells as much as the jap superbikes sell in Japan .
ducatis are manufactured in limited quantity so that the snob value is retained .
The ducati is much faster than a F1 until take off .

Ducatis feature slipper clutch which is dry and not present in any other bikes .
Ducatis use a chain which is special .. dunno the exact details .
Ducatis use wheels which are machine from a single block of alloy .

And ducatis proved that even with 2 cylinders they can beat the **** out of jap bikes .. All that you need is a good rider .

In 2004 when I wanted to get Ducati to India .. unfortunately they went to China because they thought Ducati would sell much better in China .. and it did sell . Ducati is almost late by 6 years .
Old 9th August 2010, 20:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
And ducatis proved that even with 2 cylinders they can beat the **** out of jap bikes .. All that you need is a good rider .
Well...they did manage that with a cubic capacity advantage over the Japanese bikes. In motogp they weren't allowed a CC advantage and Valentino Rossi won several titles on a Honda and a Yamaha.

I'll give you innovation...the Desmodromic valves left Honda and Yamaha scratching their heads for 2 seasons.

But please for heaven's sake don't make Ducati out to be the be-all and end-all of marques. Globally outsold by a huge margin they are (currently) still on the verge of being insolvent. Their QC of late leaves a lot to be desired from what is, essentially, the Ferrari on 2 wheels!
Old 22nd August 2010, 21:41   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
But please for heaven's sake don't make Ducati out to be the be-all and end-all of marques. Globally outsold by a huge margin they are (currently) still on the verge of being insolvent. Their QC of late leaves a lot to be desired from what is, essentially, the Ferrari on 2 wheels!
Well , it is like going to a ball with a 20 yr old unknown great looking girl vs a middle aged actress . I am sure the middle aged actress would attract more attention . so is the case with ducati .
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone have any inputs on the quality of service from Ducati in Bbay? I've generally heard poor stories of porsche after sales and after what became of the audi showroom wondering if Ducati ownership is a nightmare or have they got their act together.
The best person to answer this would be our member Spiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
. I always believed Bimota was considered the Ferrari on two wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Well , it is like going to a ball with a 20 yr old unknown great looking girl vs a middle aged actress . I am sure the middle aged actress would attract more attention . so is the case with ducati .
I understand you wanted to get the Dealership of Ducati and offcourse you would have a soft spot for them. I dont mean to hurt your feelings in anyway. In India Ducati is more of a Mannequin of a middle aged actress than the Actress herself. By this i mean there are more Window shoppers who admire the bike but a few who have actually bought it. This is due to the fact that the 848 cost around 15 Lakhs and for the same amount you would be able to get yourself a bigger Busa, R1, Intruder, GSX1000, CB1000, 1000RR and the Bandit. The 1 litre bikes from Ducati would be in the 20 lakh plaus bracket and this makes no sense to the common man, mind you i am not talking of an enthusiast with loads of money or even someone who has loads of money and wants the bike for upmanship status.

My friend owns a 1198, but on rides the Busa and the R1 get more glances. Its not how famous you were (middle aged actress) but how famous you are ( fresh face in the 20 year old unknown great looking girl with great backing). The factor of the great backing also plays an important part,the Busa was part of a Hindi Movie, so the public relates to it.

All are great bikes and i would love to own them at some point but in India Price is the key for the bikes as these are for a Niche audiance. A brand recognition is also what plays an important role. So India Ducati is a 20 something pretty face new comer, while the Yamaha's, Honda's and Suzuki's are the middle aged actresses with lots of star power. You see Ducati plays both roles in India, the young 20 something and the middle aged actress. No hard feelings

Last edited by speedy : 23rd August 2010 at 12:29.
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

From what I've heard recently, Ducati has dropped its prices drastically. The 848 now costs 12 something lakhs. They still won't sell that much as they are horrible street bikes (the sportsbikes of course and not the naked street bikes) and that's where most guys ride.

In any case, I rate MV Augusta higher than Ducati in the above mentioned argument.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks