View Poll Results: Old 600 vs newer 400
Older 600 9 40.91%
Newer 400 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Older 600 or newer 400? Which one?

I have found a couple of 1989 - 1990 CBR 600 hurricane's. One in really good shape.

I will also be checking out a couple of 400's. A ZZR400 (not sure on the year, but post '94) and a superfour ('94 ).

For those not in the know, the 600's put out around 97 horsepower compared to the 55HP of the 400's. Here's how its stacked up:

600 +ve's
1. Power
2. More comfortable riding position
3. Parts are easier to find as 400's were mainly Japan only bikes while 600's were sold worldwide.

600 -ve's
1. Old! 15 years old now, that's pretty darn old!
2. Crappy looking. C'mon, spending so much money, you want something decent.
3. Crappy brakes on the older CBR's. Sliding calipers are always seizing up.

400 +ve's
1. Newer bikes. The ZZR is still in production so thats a good thing.
2. The super4 is great in the city.
3. Adequate power for our roads and highways
4. Would be easier to sell

400 -ve's
1. 50% less power than the 600.
2. More cramped riding position (although the ZZR is the exception)
3. ZZR is the same size and weight as the CBR, but with half the power!

Well, I'm inclined towards the 400 as although its not as quick as a 600, it does make more sense. For my purpose which is basically long distance touring, I think the 600 would be great, but then the newer ZZR400 has a great riding position as well. hmm.

What do the bikers out there say?

Last edited by Rtech : 23rd February 2005 at 17:48.
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Anyday the 600s unless untill u plan to ride the bike only on long runs.

Reason: u really need to rev the 400s to get into the powerband while in the 600s ur in the powerband almost all the time

Besides the parts is also an issue for the 400 coz most of them except a few like teh zzr are outta production & their spares are also difficult to source.

Also from what i have heard from litre bike riders(in US & Aus), a good 600 rider can actually give a tough time to a litre bike rider

So u have clear winner in the 600 coz aftre all u wud be putting in that kinda money for performance & not just looks rite ??
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyday the 600s unless untill u plan to ride the bike only on long runs.
It would be the other way around wouldn't it? The 600 for long rides, the 400 for town?

Quote:
Reason: u really need to rev the 400s to get into the powerband while in the 600s ur in the powerband almost all the time
Well, thats true, but thats where the fun is. In town, redlining a 600 in second means you're outa road before you know it. A 400, well, you can bounce off it's limiter all day long in the city. That would be fun.
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:56   #4
BHPian

Zzr400

Hey Rtech,
Owning a 400 I can say from experience that newer the bike the better it would be. Although much slower than the 600 But definately will give you lesser problems. And from the pic's ZZR 400 for sure....................No doubts on that one............................
Old 23rd February 2005, 18:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
It would be the other way around wouldn't it? The 600 for long rides, the 400 for town?
Well let me put it this way, the 600 can be used both in town as well as on highways while the 400 wud be suitable more for highways(indian highways, my friend did 195 on his 400 RR) coz of its high revving nature..

besides this the seating of a 400 is damn uncomfortable wrt to most of the 600. I know this negates my own logic of highway riding on a 400 but then the fun u get makes up for the pain while in city u dont even get to get the bike in powerband & still ride it in that awkward position in the city traffic.

Quote:
Well, thats true, but thats where the fun is. In town, redlining a 600 in second means you're outa road before you know it. A 400, well, you can bounce off it's limiter all day long in the city. That would be fun.
Nope it wud be really irritating having to rev it all the time to get into the powerband unless ofcourse u r looking for a screamer.. & if ur then look no further than an inline 250 or 400 they make the best sounds it almost orgasmic

from personal exp a 250 sounds better than a 400.. anything above doesn't have that magical sound :(

Hope u get my point
Old 24th February 2005, 08:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

hey rtech ,
was lookin out for a bike myself so have gathered knowledhe in bits and pieces .
i d say don't go in for a kwacker coz of the high priced spares , if you want to go in for a 400 find a nice superfour , u d get a nice one for i think 2.75 , maharashtra motors (mehmud choudhary ) showed me the best lookin superfour i ve eva seen which was a 94 model for 2.75 , and looked newer than a 2002 , it was butter smooth , but he wudnt budge from that price
if u want sherry s number ( pune ) lemme know , coz he told me abt a super four for arnd 2.75 and a f600 early 90 s for arnd 3.25
even our fellow member s600benz was telling me abt a nice superfour ( red colour ) and there s this cbr 250 also which he knows of around heera panna
incase u re lookin out for a gzxr 750 lemme know , its totally refurbished new tyres , batt and stuff but its a 1991 model , u shud get this for arnd 2.40 ( the owner s askin for 2.8 on the fne ) so i feel sum good bargainin skills wud be of great help .

and btw had gne to zulfi also once and he thought that the superfour was the best bike i cud go for in the 2.75-3 lakh budget due to its seating position and decent amt of power , the only drawback is that it looks very plan , maybe like a bigger pulsar .
pm me if u need any help .
Old 24th February 2005, 11:06   #7
BHPian

Rt,
Now that u have enought money to get one of these machines, if I were u, i'd rather save some more and go for a newer machine.. They got those outdated looks.. do u really want to put u'r bucks into this?!!
For eg, if I had the money to get a hero honda passion(47.3G), I wouldn't go for it.. I'd rather save some more money and go for a bullet.... Or an RD...

Ok, guess it was a sad eg.. heheheee...

But my point is save some more bucks and get a better one..

_RiCKY_

Last edited by vinsanity : 24th February 2005 at 11:10.
Old 24th February 2005, 11:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

newer 400, less headache..

make sure to exercise those hand/shoulder/neck muscles if u r planning for any of the bigger bikes
Old 26th February 2005, 01:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
newer 400, less headache..

make sure to exercise those hand/shoulder/neck muscles if u r planning for any of the bigger bikes
It's actually the reverse.
The 400s (except maybe the ZZR) have a pretty agressive riding posture as compared to the 600s. Rtech has already mentioned that.
That is because the ZZR comes under the category of street bike and not sports bike. The CBR 600 F series was labelled a 'sport tourer' hence the comfortable sitting posture, single seat, main stand etc.

@ Rtech it depends to a large extent on the exact specifications. If you could tell us the year, model, condition & cost, we could give a much better opinion and tell you as to which would be more VFM.

All said and done, I still think it is better to go in for a more powerful bike so that you do not get bored of it soon. Besides the parts also would be comparatively easier to get as you have pointed out. Of the other points a few I do not agree with.

1. The hurricane might be looking crappy because of an unattractive colour combo (that could always be changed). Concentrate on what's inside. Imagine at a signal there's this snazzy 400 and a lesser snazzy 600. At go, the 600 beats the $hit out of the 400. Now which bike would you like to be on ??!!

2. Crappy brakes on the older CBR is something that I'm not aware of. The ones on my F2 r pretty decent.

3. ZZR is still in production but the 600 model. The 400 was stopped in the late 90s (I think). For that matter even the CBR 600 is still in production. But whatever the case, there would be hardly any components common with a bike 8 - 10 yrs old.

4. Adequate power is a very relative term and for us speed freaks, its never 'enough'

5. 400 easier to sell than a 600 ? I don't think so, particularly in a place like Mumbai which is full of rich power hungry kids. In fact 95% of the bikes being imported currently are in the 600 & above category because those r in demand !

These r my thoughts & experience collected over a 2 year search for a good foreign bike. BTW, how much r u getting the hurricane & the ZZR for ? See a well maintained older bike may be a better bet than a $crewed up younger one.

Another point of view . . .
What would u prefer ?
An old Karizma or a less older Splendour ??!!
Old 26th February 2005, 06:18   #10
BHPian

Go for the Kwacker.
Very very comfortable and the years do count!!! A 10 year old bike is better than a 15 yr old.
The ZZR is the bike to buy! Go go go... do they have one in Green ?

The reason for the 400 over the 600 is that you'll get a more reliable bike (compared to the 600), more easily available spares, and 90-95%usable power. Compare that to the power of the 600 you wont be using the extra 40-50bhp in most places. So why not trade those 40-50bhp for a nice design, comfort and easily available spares?

Kwacker all the way. BTW how much is it costing you ?
Old 26th February 2005, 12:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

hey guys does anyne now hoe much a mid 90 s or further zzr400 cost me , and hwe much forr a 600 yamaha or a kwacker mid 90 s models again .

manson .
Old 1st March 2005, 11:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The CBR 600 F series was labelled a 'sport tourer' hence the comfortable sitting posture, single seat, main stand etc.
Well, when the CBR600F was launched, it was by far the most sporting of all the 600's of its time. Now ofcourse it is looked at differently.

Quote:
ZZR is still in production but the 600 model. The 400 was stopped in the late 90s (I think).
Nope, the ZZR400 is still sold in Japan. The CBR400rr was stopped in the late 90's. Although the Super four is still sold.

Quote:
400 easier to sell than a 600 ? I don't think so,
Well, I meant a newer 400 would be easier to sell than a 89-90 600. I know a guy sho has been trying to sell his 600 hurricane for 2 years now. No luck, at his price anyways.

Well, I would love a 600 no doubt, but I believe the 400 would make a wiser buy. Plus, I'm sure a 400 would be able to keep up with the biker bikes on almost any road here in India. Maybe not so great for the stoplight drags though...
Old 1st March 2005, 12:11   #13
BHPian

Wow, so Rt, do we see a final decision here on u'r bike hunting??!!
From reading the posts and u'r stand on the 400 me says "Go for the 400".....
Ya even i like the 600, especially after seeing seeing the R6 at the B'lore meet.. She is awesome man..

_Rt, go get her_
Old 1st March 2005, 12:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

So when is it coming Rtech
Old 1st March 2005, 12:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Your guess is as good as mine Techno !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks