Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2005, 16:19   #1
BHPian

Story behind the Hayabusa!!

This is the info I got about the Suzuki Hayabusa..

The symbol itself is called a Kanji (Japanese) The writing on the fairing is called hayato or hayabusa. Regardless of the pronunciation the meaning of the symbol means strong and fast.

Based on many sources I have ascertained the following historical information about the Hayabusa. The name as you may have not heard comes from the Japanese Peregrine falcon. It is one of the few animals which can travel at about 300km per hour (in a dive). The designer apparently came up with the name while walking along the beach and seeing this bird. The colour scheme of gold/bronze and silver are similar to those of the falcon its self.
Believe of not - it is said that this falcon often hunts actual Blackbirds.

Having done further research, the 'Japanese Very Fast Train' which travels at about the same speeds is also called the Hayabusa. I think this was this pre-dates the Suzuki use of the Hayabusa term.

I have recently been informed that the term Hayabusa was also used to name a WWII Japanese aircraft. Designated the KI-43 it was built by the Nakajima conglomerate and was classed a fighter. This was apparently the first use of bird names for aircraft.

The Hayabusa was first rumoured to exist during 1998. It was finally launched in Spain on the Catalunya circuit in April 1999. It joins the lists of top speed limit breaking bikes over the years. In fact it is the first production motorcycle to break the 300kph barrier ! The namer of the bike is reported to be Suzuki Product Planning group - Akihiko Muramatsu.

Logical Competitors at the time of launch (1999) included :
Kawasaki ZZR-1100 (ZX11) | Honda Blackbird CBR1100XX | BMW K1200 | ZX-12R

The Hayabusa is classified as a sports tourer and not a sports bike in the vein of the Fireblade, R1 and the like.
Note that Suzuki promotes the bike as the Ultimate Sports Machine.
Old 31st March 2005, 16:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Please credit the original writer/website and provide the link from where you got this information.
Old 31st March 2005, 16:32   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

this is avaliable at www.suzukihayabusa.org
an awesome site for hayabusa guys

u should check out the extended modded busas they have prepared for drags

also there is a video of a DODGE VIPER beating a stock BUSA
awesome video
Old 31st March 2005, 16:48   #4
BHPian

Sorry Rt,
I actually posted for details in another forum and the guy responded, its not his view point, its what he found, so I dint know who to credit the info to..
Will surely makesure that i do it next time around..

Hey thanks for the help scarlet......
Old 31st March 2005, 17:31   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No problemo VINCE
what are friends for
motor heads can do anything for a fellow motor head

pls pls pls check out the site for the busas
hardcore busa guys from around the world
Old 31st March 2005, 23:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The Hayabusa is classified as a sports tourer and not a sports bike in the vein of the Fireblade, R1 and the like.
The busa engine is tuned(Valve timing) for power right from midrange, that's the only fact that justifies it as a tourer. Otherwise the riding position absolutely sucks for touring, handlebars are too low and windshield is even lower. Engine refinement sucks compared to the blackbird.
The best tourer bike in my opinion is the honda blackbird. It looses out big time to the zx12 and the busa with respect to power and top speed.
Old 1st April 2005, 11:19   #7
BHPian

@topend_hooligan:
So true about the riding posture.. Very very low.. U'l have a back ache a few kms into u'r ride....
And the fact u mentioned about why its a tourer, well, never knew that.. thanks for the info.....
Old 1st April 2005, 11:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The busa engine is tuned(Valve timing) for power right from midrange, that's the only fact that justifies it as a tourer.
Erm, by that logic, the Ducati 999 is a tourer too!

The size and weight of the 'busa are the main reasons its classified as a "hyper-tourer". Suzuki never intended on making a sports tourer nor did they want to make an all out track machine. They simply had one goal in mind - top speed. Everything on the bike is designed with this in mind. From the aerodynamic bodywork to the wierd headlight and hump in the rear. Also, wheelbase was kept long to make it stable while at 190mph. The riding position as well is made with this in mind.

Remember, many outright sports bikes of their day are now classified as sports tourers. Look at the Kawasaki ZX6R of 2002 for example. At the time it was at the top of the 600cc pack. Now, with the launch of that radical new track ready ZX6r, the original ZX6 has been classified by Kawasaki as a sports tourer. Same goes for the CBR600. Changing times tends to blunt a once sharp piece of machinery.

As far as the perfect sports tourer with a stress on "sports", the VFR800 has been widely acknowledged for more than a decade as being the best there is.
Old 1st April 2005, 14:07   #9
BHPian

Oh yeah i forgot the VFR800 . Its a proper tourer with lots of low end grunt.
Old 24th May 2005, 13:19   #10
BHPian

I love the looks of the vfr 800 too! Awesome!
Old 19th April 2006, 01:09   #11

This piece of info is Cool man !!
Old 19th April 2006, 10:42   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is said that this falcon often hunts actual Blackbirds.
Awesome! Excellent read behind a legend.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks