Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 12:16   #1
BHPian

How much for a 2002 Katana?

Hi folks!

This might be more like classifieds, but it's just a check so posting here..

What according to you should be the buying price for a 2002 Katana, clocked 15k on the odo, and in all original shape.. got a new battery placed with servicing done to tune some anomalies..
Let me know ASAP pls, as I'm being asked for 3.2Lacs for the same.

Still not sure if it's the best price..

thanks in adv.

Regards,
J.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

post some pics and the reg details. Locals may be known to the bike so they may be able to provide some insight on it. The condition of the bike will be the deciding factor for the price. IMO, nothing more than 3- 3.25 if it comes to you with 0 expense required (not even the tires).
Old 12th November 2008, 13:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

J. please also check the status of the papers. That is a very important thing to check. The SBK guru's will be able to provide you some inputs .
Old 12th November 2008, 19:48   #4
BHPian

Can-o-tuna? The Katana has always lived in the shadow of the GSX and generally doesn't fetch decent resale prices in the international markets. It may be a different story in India though.
Old 13th November 2008, 03:07   #5
BHPian

Confused..again.

I got to know the following along with the fact that it's the only available Katana 600 around Delhi, GGN, Noida..
I'm worried about couple of things where I need opinions from ya all..
1. Tyres are like not completely gone, but not in too good shape too, so I guess would need to change em soon enough.. (whats the cost for new ones too)
2. The Bike's got an AP registration, clocked close to 13k (how much more can it take, or what else would it ask for soon enough).
3. seller says it can't be transferred to a delhi registration now, but i would get a "Letter of Sale".. not sure if that's okay.
4. Finance options then..?? (Where can i get financing of 3.25lacs??.. and quickly???!!)

Thanks again guys. reply asap.

Regards,
J.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. Tires would be 15-17k for a set.
2. 13k if genuine should not worry you provided the engine is in sound state
3. You will need NOC from AP RTO. Estimate some amount for registration to Delhi. I dont know why isn't it possible.
4. Personal loan is the only way of financing it.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
3. seller says it can't be transferred to a delhi registration now, but i would get a "Letter of Sale".. not sure if that's okay.

Thanks again guys. reply asap.

Regards,
J.
Bro, this does not feel right. I am pretty sure the papers of the bike are not clear other wise there is no way this kind of an issue would crop up.

As I mentioned earlier, please do have the papers checked by someone who knows about this stuff. I know you really want a SBK ( and so do i btw ) but just does not make sense to buy a lemon and regret .
Old 13th November 2008, 15:49   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your quick replies Sammy and Dipen.

Actually I'd got that information from the seller (in Mansarover Gdn) "Indirectly" so talked to him today..
He says there's no problem if I want to get the registration and everything done, just that he didn't get it while taking from the first buyer, and of course, no body keeps these bikes for long, so don't take the pain of gettin it all done.. Anyways, the "letter of Sale" is like the NOC from the original seller's end.. i think that should suffice
The engine is sound, he's a mech himself, so confirms that all 4 cyl (carbs) would be in synchro.. he'll tune it all before handing off.

Will let you know as I proceed.. I really want to get one ASAP now... and can't seem to find any other such feasibly priced option.. :P so goin greedy.. :P

Cheers!
Old 14th November 2008, 03:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

@jsmonu

It has been observed many times that bikes are older than claimed. Just ensure its a 2002 manufacture and not 2002 registered. Better, post some pics. There are members here who can very well confirm if its a 2002 and if all the original panels, indicators, lights are intact for that year.

If you dont have pics, manage to this this at the earliest.
Also list all the papers that are available from the seller.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:15   #10
BHPian

spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
@jsmonu

It has been observed many times that bikes are older than claimed. Just ensure its a 2002 manufacture and not 2002 registered. Better, post some pics. There are members here who can very well confirm if its a 2002 and if all the original panels, indicators, lights are intact for that year.

If you dont have pics, manage to this this at the earliest.
Also list all the papers that are available from the seller.
Thanks dipen.. I am stupid of not thinking that earlier..
for the papers, they seem good to me.. from the first seller.

here's a quick pic i snapped of the bike.. the guy didn't let me snap it from the back of front due to the plates and of course.. I haven't bought it yet..
Attached Thumbnails
How much for a 2002 Katana?-09112008031.jpg  

Old 19th November 2008, 03:06   #11

hey,one of my few posts here on team bhp but since i know my bit and have quite a bit going on with bikes,i can put in a little bit.The bike is definately a post 98 cuz its got the new body,looks like its in good shape,price wise trust me its a good deal.I have some bikes for sale and around 3 lakhs u end up gettin 1 much older 600 like the cbr 600f2,f3 which are faster and better looking but at the same time older.So for a newer bike the price is really good.

Suzukis dont have great resale so thats why you getting it so cheap,a same year honda like the f4i would fetch upto 4 4.5 lakhs.I have a cbr 600 f2 and a hayabusa so trust me.The katana is a underrated bike which is very capable of keeping up with other bikes of the same capacity.Choose wisely though suzuki parts and resale can be a pain.Contact me for more help.

Note from Mods : Please use spaces after punctuation marks, avoid SMS language, do not use foul language and do NOT post about items you have for sale on the forum. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2009 at 05:02. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:35   #12
BHPian

@muksdachux

Thanks so much for that NeaT info.. I'm already in for the Katana 600. I'd already got quite a few recommendations for this bike for such a price.. even though not a grand one, but many say that the bike is still one of the best sports touring types around.. so i'm happy.
plus, you know it's like a dream that I thought i'd probably be able to fulfil only after 10 years or so, but just like that. the jolt of getting through this took over and I have to get this now. hopefully i'll post pics next week.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 24th November 2008, 18:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

I just quickly readup some brief reviews on this one, and it seems a great first big bike, and at that 3L price it is superb vfm too if you intend to keep it for long.

Now your queries;

Tires should cost you 15K, the 150 rear will be a little hard to find though. Once you buy the bike, touch base with me on this, i'll hook you up with someone in bombay.

Finance is mostly going to be an issue to procure on vehicle finance, see if you can get yourself an attractive personal loan scheme. If you have a relative working in an MNC bank, they are known to lend 'soft' loans to their employees, and members of immediate family.

Registering the bike from AP to DL can be a serious problem if the import papers are not in place. And, if they are in place it could be an expensive affair to transfer, so transfer only once you are certain that you are going to keep the bike for long. If you decide to part with it soon, the transfer cost will mostly be a 100% loss. Ask a driving school, or an agent how much is costs to register an imported vehicle. Typically is it three times the percentage of the road tax for domestic vehicles.
In bombay, the domestic vehicles are resgistered vide paying 7% road tax, and 21% for imported vehicles.

Parts are mostly not a problem, unless your bike is an antique. If you cannot find something locally or off the reguslar bike portals, www.ebay.us is a great place to shop.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 24th November 2008 at 18:32.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:21   #14
BHPian

hey Folks!

Thanks for everyone's responses.. But the news is that I've finally got my hands on the KaTaNa!! Yes.. That's correct!
I've already guzzled my way through mileage worth 1000 bucks of Petrol.. :P (in 2 days) lol..

So c ya all around.. for now.. I'll take a break and keep revving that throttle!

For pics this link should help.. " Katana Pics - Jas "

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks