Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 18:43   #226
BHPian

Can anyone suggest ways & means to lower the bike height as i am 5'7" so i feel the bike should be bit lower than it is so that i can touch the ground with my feet firmly.

Now that the bikes is at repair store i was thinking to go ahead with any such mod (if within reasonable $$$ & way without make the riding uncomfortable or risky)
Old 11th June 2009, 19:07   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bravo View Post
Can anyone suggest ways & means to lower the bike height as i am 5'7" so i feel the bike should be bit lower than it is so that i can touch the ground with my feet firmly.

woah! hats off to u man for riding the bike, the last time i checked out an mt01, i could barely even balance it due to the height restriction.

anyways coming back to the topic, i doubt if u can do anything. lets see what s6 or manson say.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:20   #228
BHPian

Hi!
you can definitely lower the bike.i think you will have to to the adjustment in the rear mono shock.if you have an instruction manual i think you will get the details.i had seen a r6 2006 being lowered as the height of the r6 is too much.one disadvantage of lowering it too much is your side stand will not come into the right parking position.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:55   #229
BHPian

Thx nandishpal, i will consult it my repair store. may be one can try & experiment before finalizing the same.
Old 11th June 2009, 21:22   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
Hi!
you can definitely lower the bike.i think you will have to to the adjustment in the rear mono shock.if you have an instruction manual i think you will get the details.i had seen a r6 2006 being lowered as the height of the r6 is too much.one disadvantage of lowering it too much is your side stand will not come into the right parking position.
increasing preload will only help so much. radically lowering the rear ride height will affect handling.

Better to get a custom low seat than messing with the shock beyond its limits.
Old 11th June 2009, 21:31   #231
BHPian

actually there arent any custom low seat available. cox the original seat doesn't have very thick layer of inner padding.

On a lighter note May be i should resort to wearing HIGH HEELS
Old 11th June 2009, 21:46   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bravo View Post

Now that the bikes is at repair store i was thinking to go ahead with any such mod (if within reasonable $$$ & way without make the riding uncomfortable or risky)
You get something called lowering links. Its mainly used for motorcycles used in drag racing. Check if you can get those. Your best chance is EU. You will not get them for this bike in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
woah! hats off to u man for riding the bike, the last time i checked out an mt01, i could barely even balance it due to the height restriction.

anyways coming back to the topic, i doubt if u can do anything. lets see what s6 or manson say.
Are you planning to buy an MT?
Old 11th June 2009, 21:47   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You get something called lowering links. Its mainly used for motorcycles used in drag racing. Check if you can get those. Your best chance is EU. You will not get them for this bike in the US.

wouldnt those affect the dynamics of the bike? esp the handling aspect?

Quote:
are you planning to buy an MT?
lol, noways s6, the mt is huge!!! the r1 is more than enough for me,just perfect. had checked out the MT at the yamaha showroom when i went to take delivery of my bike.

Last edited by aadix : 11th June 2009 at 21:52.
Old 11th June 2009, 22:47   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
Well, its like my feets are bit up from the heels side but i balanced it well cox when its centre of gravity is at place you wont find any issue. I had to wear bit loose jeans to allow my legs spread wide enough to help balance the bike buy reaching ground. initially i had trouble to take u turn ... i dropped it instantly cox my legs couldn't support 260+kg of weight so i found myself standing on road with mt MT lying between the legs on the road. I learnt my way up by taking longer route to find some circle or by taking more cautious approach like when u-turning a car with small turning radius (back & forth type of movement)

BTW my younger bro has an R1. When i ride that my feet are firm on the ground. I suppose Yamaha should have done some change keeping in mind the average Indians height of 5'7ish. I would say i still had a test ride some how on a guy who was willing to sell off his MT01 ( i suppose he still has it under 300 km on dial & about 16months old now) so i felt it right under me. Think of those who just see the bike on display & cant even get to sit on before buying (meaning paying each & every penny to the company) ... thereafter its solely his risk If any guy is 5'6" or shorter then he certainly explore the best joke of life that he can sit on the bike cant touch the ground with his feet to keep the bike stable ! the bike will be pure waste for him.

The company should make some arrangements for interested folks to if not drive test it but at-least sit on the same for feeling how its to sit on a SBK. Yamaha should have some tracks in town where they can educate avid buyers to learn how to maneuver the bike & keep safe.I believe HONDA trains each SBK buyer before handing over the keys sooo sweet of them !

I know for varied reason MT01 didnt do well here in india. here most users are speed freaks. Everyone who saw my bike with me perched on it (say around town at red lights or parking or even when driving parallel to them even car owners) had One QUESTION to start with "whats the top speed of this bike, then whats the milage like & HOW MUCH FOR IT $$$" initially it was nice but later i just rebutted them by saying its dad's gift so invaluable & top speed is just 70kms (cox my tach shows 70 as RPM dial so they were rudely shocked how come such a huge bike just get just 70km/hr as top speed. Any aspirant who wanna buy a SBK looks for R1 Busas CBRs but not very many for MT0 or intruders. Boy I must say the thrill of riding a naked/cruiser or what ever you wanna call MT01/intruder is mind boggling. Its a true experience in it self.The very first throttle is enough to let you have goosebumps all over your body. When you start cruising it clubbed with its Monstrous ROAR & pickup you are set on a ride of your lifetime. I am sure those who love racer bikes must be feeling the same. But i am more inclined towards cruisers ! They have some charisma to them, a very manly appeal. Sorry to offset any ones feeling but all this my personal rambling not to offend any one.

I wish if there were some more MT01ers in India & esp delhi. I can see how my bro enjoys when he has many other R1s as company. I sometimes feel happy to have a sort of LIMITED EDITION bike

so not many aspirants can make their mind cox they dont see too many around & cant even get the hang of this bike. Trust me if one rides this Torque monster they will surely wanna have it any time soon

Last edited by Jonny Bravo : 11th June 2009 at 22:49.
Old 11th June 2009, 23:40   #235
BHPian

Hey just to know.. The bike is it been sold or still available???
Old 12th June 2009, 00:59   #236
BHPian

I have got no idea !

Last edited by Jonny Bravo : 12th June 2009 at 01:04.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:07   #237
Senior - BHPian

Jonny...I'll be joining you soon. 10 days...give or take a few. Hang in there and we'll do a Rajasthan ride in October
Old 12th June 2009, 15:36   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Jonny...I'll be joining you soon. 10 days...give or take a few. Hang in there and we'll do a Rajasthan ride in October
And u never said this! Congrats mate! So we should soon be expecting a treat from u on this!
Old 12th June 2009, 16:54   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparajith View Post
And u never said this! Congrats mate! So we should soon be expecting a treat from u on this!
Apologies to jonny for hijacking his thread. Apar - I will do full justice to the 5th attempt to buy a Yamaha MT01 in a separate thread of my own. I also have no money left to buy myself a jujube, let alone take you guys out for a night on the town.

Thanks for the enthusiasm - the bike will make it's way from Bangalore to Chennai first and then onwards to Mumbai. So you'll have plenty of time to get familiar with it.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:21   #240
BHPian

Yepppe Ho. CONGS in advance. bro do have a thread started when you get the MT01 loaded with writeup & pix for us to feast. As for RAJASTHAN any time bro its my home State. Its nice feeling to see one more join the elite MT owners club. Why will it come from blore-chennai-mum how much on road price now ... Claps for you bro.

Most Viewed