Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 14:24   #1

Battery for Suzuki GS500

Hi,
I just got my Suzuki GS500 from US to Delhi. It needs a 12V 11A battery, I have looked around in Kotla but did not find one.

Any suggestions on where I can buy the battery? Also any recommendations on good mechanics in South Delhi, for future use?

Thanks
RaSingh
Old 26th November 2008, 15:37   #2
BHPian

sir plz try in the Yusuf sarai market near green park,this market has very big and variety's of automotive battery.for mechnic try in khan market Anand bhai's workshop or pm me.
Old 27th November 2008, 13:49   #3

Exide has introduced a new battery: 12V/12amp dry which goes fine in the Comet. I guess you can use this one if nothing is available and it should go fine with your bike. It costs around 1200/-
Old 28th November 2008, 13:11   #4

Sumit,
Can you please tell me where can I buy this battery from.. I have also heard of this battery but cant find it in battery shops.. tried kotla, narojini nagar.. etc

Thanks in advance
Old 28th November 2008, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ampere hour is not so important in a motorcycle battery. The dimension is more important. If you tell me the exact dimension of your existing battery, plus all the numbers that you see written on the battery plus the brand name then I can help you locate an exact replacement from Exide's long list of batteries.
Incidentally I work for Exide.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Ampere hour is not so important in a motorcycle battery. The dimension is more important.
Why is it so? Could you explain please?
Old 28th November 2008, 17:54   #7

I dont have the battery on me today (gave it to a shop to see if they can do something).
But it was a Exide battery (from US)
The bike is 500cc with a switch starter
When I look up on the web, this is one of the batteries I find for this model:
ManufacturerPower MaxModelCB10L-B2Weight7Volts12Amp-Hour11CCA160Length5.3125Width3.5625Height5.75I can find the numbers written on the my Exide battery, tomorrow, if needed.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Old 28th November 2008, 18:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why is it so? Could you explain please?
In a motorcycle generally the space is very restricted. If the battery doesn't precisely fit the chamber in terms of width, depth and height where it is supposed to be kept then it is virtually impossible to use it.
In a car, for example, you can still get away with a battery which is slightly taller than the OE as long as the bonnet doesn't touch the top.
These are all general statements by the way. Some foreign cars will have very precise battery chamber where you just can't fit anything else.
By ampere hour isn't so important, I meant if the OE battery is 11 amph then it's fine to use a 10 or 12 amph battery. But the dimension should be precise. Also on a motorcycle the electrical load is very small - it doesn't have power windows, AC, music system etc - lol. So a marginally lower powered battery is also ok.
Old 28th November 2008, 19:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
In a motorcycle generally the space is very restricted. If the battery doesn't precisely fit the chamber in terms of width, depth and height where it is supposed to be kept then it is virtually impossible to use it.
Yep this is true and correct, but batteries a litle larger than standard can be accomodated with some jugad.

Quote:
By ampere hour isn't so important, I meant if the OE battery is 11 amph then it's fine to use a 10 or 12 amph battery. But the dimension should be precise. Also on a motorcycle the electrical load is very small - it doesn't have power windows, AC, music system etc - lol. So a marginally lower powered battery is also ok.
Ah is important especially in new bikes where everything is run off the Battery including headlamps. Using a battery with lesser Ah rating than std can be tolerated if the bike isn't used extensively during night. If the bike is to be used at night then going lower than company recommended Ah rating is not good.
Old 28th November 2008, 20:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasingh View Post
I dont have the battery on me today (gave it to a shop to see if they can do something).
But it was a Exide battery (from US)
The bike is 500cc with a switch starter
When I look up on the web, this is one of the batteries I find for this model:
ManufacturerPower MaxModelCB10L-B2Weight7Volts12Amp-Hour11CCA160Length5.3125Width3.5625Height5.75I can find the numbers written on the my Exide battery, tomorrow, if needed.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Sorry brother I didn't see this earlier. I will see what I can do tomorrow or Monday. If Exide India has a battery that will fit, then you will get it. Incidentally Exide India has absolutely no connection with Exide USA. That company has an Indian subsidiary called Tudor India, but I doubt if they have this model in India. They sell batteries in India under the brand name of Prestolite. You could enquire with them nevertheless.
Old 29th November 2008, 00:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

If nothing Helps

Contact KRP(Kaulson Racing Products) New Delhi.
Old 29th November 2008, 13:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Raisingh
I enquired within our office. The Exide India batteries that would come closest to your size are 14LA2 and 14 - 3A. These are easily available in most shops (let me know if you can't find them) and you can quote those numbers and any shopkeeper would understand.
The base dimensions of these two batteries are same as your OE but the height is 2.2 cm (almost an inch) taller. Please check if it's possible to fit such a battery. If not please try some other brand.
This is the best I could do.
Sudipto
Old 29th November 2008, 18:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised that this bike needs such a powerful battery. The 600's and 1000's use an 8.5Ah battery these days. The Busa needs the 11Ah.

Last edited by straight6 : 29th November 2008 at 18:36.
Old 29th November 2008, 19:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Honda City uses a battery that's smaller than that needed in a Maruti 800. It's a question of sophistication of the electrical design and also the alternator. The more advanced your alternator the less powerful battery can you do with.
Old 30th November 2008, 11:48   #15

Sudipto,
Thanks a lot for your help!! I will check the dimensions and then look for the battery.. will let you know how it works out
Thanks again
Rasingh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks