Team-BHP - Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/50620-suzuki-katana-gsx600f-ownership-report-dec-2k8-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 1103978)
Wrong question may be, but I saw a GSX 600 F on sale in New Delhi on bikez.biz. The pictures looked like exactly your bikes. Is it by any chance the same or a similar model.

stupid: yea, that was my bike's ad, and kinda did that half minded. half hearty.. but u never know.. If i get a good deal, i'd probably just upgrade..

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapra (Post 1103846)
Congratulations!! I owned a 2001 Katana 600 for a couple of years. Nice stable bike. In US City/Freeway conditions I would get about 45MPG (about 18-19 KMPL).

The 120 kmph restriction seems odd. The bike has reasonable top end to push 160 kmph...
From what I remember the 4-6k RPM is the power band on the Katana.

Missing exhaust note could be be due to improper carb synch. Although, on my R6, Rats had chewed on some wires in the Fuel intake area causing one of the cylinders to not fire. The mech identified it as soon as I rode it in.

Hey Thanks! It's always a pleasure talking to someone who's already ridden a Katana before.. I think I should have updated in the forum earlier, and after the new jets and a bit of tune up (and li'l more experience) I can now easily push the bike up to a 105mph (and maybe more... but Delhi roads..aarrgghh!!)

Could you elaborate a bit on the "Power Band" part? Though I'm still getting an amazing cut-off kinda feeling with constant backfire (popping) happening right at 4k rpm.. Just wish I get to figure this out and get all fixed easily asap..
Here's a video that I took last week, about the backfire issue that might help a bit.. although keep in mind that it's increased now..

YouTube - Suzuki Katana 600 Exhaust check - Jas

Quote:

Originally Posted by invincible7 (Post 1104435)
i think jsmonu try to get to another mech in your city. might help.
first think for a carbed bike would be to check the carbs, clean them and then syn them together.
Get to someone who works on such bikes regularly..

This guy sure works on different bikes, and seems to practically know much about the bikes, but then.. I'm still lookin for a decent mech in Delhi as an alternative..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmonu (Post 1107700)
Could you elaborate a bit on the "Power Band" part? Though I'm still getting an amazing cut-off kinda feeling with constant backfire (popping) happening right at 4k rpm.. Just wish I get to figure this out and get all fixed easily asap..

From what I remember, the 4k-6k RPM range on the Katana is where it generates max power. Enjoy the bike and ride safe. The previous owner of my Katana had marked this range on the tachometer with a permanent marker. As I recall, the modifications included a -1 drive sprocket & a custom exhaust.

It was an interesting bike. My model had a cooling fan that would come on each time the bike was switched off. This had a reputation for draining the battery.

Hello fellow bikers,

Sorry for the delay in the next update.. as I had my hands full with this new White elephant of mine.
I'm in office, and would probably detail much some time later in bigger review.

As of now, the following:
- I've ridden it a little over 700kms now, and am still in love with the looks, handling, as well as the power delivery.
- Did an oil change, air filter change, as well as oil filter done.
- The seller actually did quite a lot of temp fixes, due to which I had to put in a bit myself.
- Got new rear brake pads fitted, spark plugs changed due to a recent issue (i'll explain later). Jets were already upgraded to oversized ones.

- The only thing I've got to complain about is the bike being a carb one, and no FI. Cos, with the daily knick knacks I now realize the complexity of handling such a "manual" machine. (Recently had to get the carbs cleaned, result of fuel leak due to a float sticking out)
- I've taken it well over a 110mph on the speedo, without any issues at all, though it's my personal feeling / observation (and probably since the bike's old) that it's not for long rides with high speeds.. Apparently whenever I've done so something or the other has bothered me.

Again, I'm not even near the expertise and full understanding of this engine, so still trying, and always on the lookout for help.

Well, off for now! More or less, I'm still in love with it, but definitely would want to upgrade now! :D

So until next time..
Cheers!

Jas.