Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 03:37   #1
BHPian

Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8)

Hi folks!

Thought I'd join the league.. I got my Suzuki Katana 600 around 2 weeks back.. actually exactly 2 weeks back!! :-D
Fell in love with it with the first sound of the throttle, dual headlight looks with full fairings, looks so massive and masculine, and the neat nametags on the front!!
Though what I was not sure of was spending so much in an old bike, and that too one that I'm buying for the first time (in terms of SBKs).

The bike was handed over to me by a mech only, who I still feel got much more outta me than the bike was now worth, but then.. I guess I was too much desperate now to get those new set of wheels now..

So, here's what I can make of an ownership report for starters!! :-)

Start Status - The bike had done 15k on the speedo, had an aftermarket exhaust, decent sound, K&N fitted, all original body, pure black with the metal name tags.. Original tires, though felt they could've been better though..

Mileage (let's be Indian for a while.. :P ) - Within my first week I covered close to 240km on the bike, up and down the NH8 as well as in city driving, and I couldn't get more than 8-10kmpl.

Handling - Didn't feel much of a trouble anywhere, except a li'l for the turns at times.. not used to a big turning radius.. don't get the feel to "lean" much on this.. Way too heavy; even to try a wheelie :P Though never felt unstable as such on the bike till now.. be it on speed or slow..

Power - It's purely exhilirating..! I guess I couldn't have felt any other way, since I have not been on a bigger machine before.. (just my P180 till now). It's not too much but neither any less for what one could ask from his first Sports bike..

Engine - Reliable four-stroke, 4-cylinder, air/oil cooled, DOHC 16-valve engine>> that's what impressed me in the first go.. I know not that much about engines (even though my Dad's an expert in 'em :P ) but surely figured out that among the ones present without much electricals in them, this engine was an amazing pick.

Suspension & Gear shifts are not bad, but not that great as well - considering that the bike is quite old now!! The gears change is pretty hard as of now.. Mech says would help improve that a bit.. as for shockers! Thanks to our lovely Indian roads, nothin can help to my satisfaction I guess.. lol..

However, I could still figure out a couple of initial annoyances (limitations), which I'd mention later..

Hickups!!
- The bike seemed to get "restricted" pushing beyond 120kmph (6-6.5k RPM to be precise) and started creating a missing exhaust note sound.. I got it checked this weekend, and the mech says it's probably bcos of the jets and costed me another 5k to put in new Jets (the whole kit i guess)
- The throttle wire actually came off (didn't break but just came off somehow) after 5 days, which of course got fixed easily.. though caused quite a bad impression/hesitation..
- After the new jets, the bike seemed to run much smoother and definitely better in terms of the top speed, however, the acceleration seemed to be a wee bit lesser than earlier.. THe mech said it was so cos the new jets were set to throw more than usual fuel level as of now.

- Today the bike seemed to just go missing in the initial few rpm's in the first gear, or even the second. I mean, it's running fine on Idle, but as soon as I put it in gear and try to push off, it kinda just shut on me.. I had to rev it and warm it a lot to drive further. So, kinda still not sure what's happening.. The exhaust note still keeps cutting at such instances, like it used to when trying to push beyong 6.5k rpm.

I'm taking it back to the mech tomorrow for a check so let's see.. I'll keep you guys posted with new pics, and cleaner shining body!! :-D

Pics available on this link - "Katana Pics - Jas" (will be updated)

Hope I get more technical / precise in my verbology with time! :-)

Cheers,
J.

Keep it clean! Keep it mean!

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd December 2008 at 14:13. Reason: 2 smileys per post max. Please read the Team-BHP rules before continuing.
Old 14th December 2008, 15:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on your latest acquisition mate. The first one is always special.
Is your Katana a carb of fue injected? If its a carbd then I'd check the carbs firts thing and have them balance to troubleshoot the acceleration issues you are facing.
Also, if the tires are bad, and you intend to keep your ride for a while have them changed first thing.

manson.
Old 15th December 2008, 02:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks manson.
Tires are okay for now, still good to go atleast 4-6 months.. It's 4 valve 4 cylinder (4carbs).. got em synchronized all good!!
By this evening there seems to be quite some choking happening in the exhaust, a pat-pat sound all the time, like the one that comes if u cut off the ignition and bring it on while driving bike at a good speed..
Not sure what's all wrong with this.. but would surely get this sorted out.. :-|
Old 15th December 2008, 02:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
THe mech said it was so cos the new jets were set to throw more than usual fuel level as of now.
If that's the case, the bike should accelerate faster!

Who is your mechanic? He might not know much about this bike and is probably learning on yours!

Its a carb engine so you need to let it idle with some choke since its cold there now.
Old 15th December 2008, 09:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Wait, what aftermarket exhaust does it have? Not a locally made can i hope? I have seen a 400 move like a karizma if not slower due to a bad exhaust.

manson.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:12   #6
BHPian

Not sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Wait, what aftermarket exhaust does it have? Not a locally made can i hope? I have seen a 400 move like a karizma if not slower due to a bad exhaust.

manson.
That's one thing I havent been able to check on.. Don't think it's a hi-fi brand one, but looks neat.. (see if you can make out anything from the pics here > PICS)

Though for that fact, the acceleration and top speed both seem to be improved to me.. and for the mech, he's based out of Man Sarover Garden, New Delhi, and seems to have good knowledge / hands-on expertise in stuff.. i mean he can atleast (logically) justify some explanations that he answers to my queries.. Of course, with my level of know-how on this I can't be that good a judget too.. :P

Cheers!
J.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

The exhaust can looks like a 'local' replacement. A bad exhaust can be one of the reasons to the flat spots you have been experiencing.
If I were you, I would have the bike checked at another mech before spending another buck. Second opinions (honesty prevailing) can do wonders sometimes.
In the last couple of years, I have not heard about a workshop for imported motorcycles up north apart from Bittu Bike wala. Check with Navpreet for this guy, he had bought his ninja back in 2005 from bittu if i remember correctly.
Wait, I just remembered Speedy mentioning a mech based in Khan market too.

And, get your Katana a pair of crash bobbins, these are a must for the noobs (heck even pros actually) on a faired bike to avoid any damage whilst a fall.

manson.
Old 16th December 2008, 00:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

its a nice Bike J. but i fail to under stand the HRC sticker onthebike.
Old 16th December 2008, 01:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy!
The Katana's a really nice bike to deal with, especially in city traffic. Although a bit on the heavier side, its comfortable when you deal with crosswinds on the highway. It was on the list of bikes I was considering, before I got the SV650.

And like Manson said, do get those crash protectors! Not to forget, good riding gear.

Good luck with the bike!
Old 16th December 2008, 12:55   #10
BHPian

Very nice bike!! One of my favourites in fact. I've been dreaming of a Katana since high school. Unfortunately the wife is not too sure about why I "really need" a bike :(
Old 17th December 2008, 20:18   #11
BHPian

congrats on ur sbk man
i own a ninja zx 10 r and even i have checked the mileage out hehehe i dont get less than 15kmpl man
Old 19th December 2008, 16:53   #12
BHPian

Thanks!

Thanks all for your wishes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
its a nice Bike J. but i fail to under stand the HRC sticker onthebike.
That was probably some previous dumbo who stuck it anyways... I know.. It's not a HONDA that I'm riding now.. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Wait, I just remembered Speedy mentioning a mech based in Khan market too.
And, get your Katana a pair of crash bobbins, these are a must for the noobs (heck even pros actually) on a faired bike to avoid any damage whilst a fall.

manson.
Will absolutely do that, although it's kinda improved now.. the only thing left is the pops at a low rpm (specifically around 3.5-4k rpm) and I think this article (HERE) helped me understand it much better..
Crash bobbins are also on my to-do list along with a good DSG/AS jacket and gloves.. :P but one by one.. BUDGET is somethin for me too..

Also, I bought a quick Toolkit for myself, so would start off with my first oil change and fairing checks soon as well.. attached the pics just 140 bucks for these..!!

Till next time..
Cheers!

J.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8)-18122008007.jpg  

Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8)-18122008053.jpg  

Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Ownership Report (Dec 2k8)-18122008009.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2008, 12:00   #13
BHPian

Congratulations!! I owned a 2001 Katana 600 for a couple of years. Nice stable bike. In US City/Freeway conditions I would get about 45MPG (about 18-19 KMPL).

The 120 kmph restriction seems odd. The bike has reasonable top end to push 160 kmph. With the custom exhaust and filter, you should have a peppy ride. I used to ride my Katana with my buddy who had an R6. On local highways, freeways, it wasnt too much trouble keeping up. If I ever went to the track I am sure I would have noticed the generation gap

From what I remember the 4-6k RPM is the power band on the Katana.

Missing exhaust note could be be due to improper carb synch. Although, on my R6, Rats had chewed on some wires in the Fuel intake area causing one of the cylinders to not fire. The mech identified it as soon as I rode it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
Hi folks!

Thought I'd join the league.. I got my Suzuki Katana 600 around 2 weeks back.. actually exactly 2 weeks back!!

Mileage (let's be Indian for a while.. :P ) - Within my first week I covered close to 240km on the bike, up and down the NH8 as well as in city driving, and I couldn't get more than 8-10kmpl.

Hickups!!
- The bike seemed to get "restricted" pushing beyond 120kmph (6-6.5k RPM to be precise) and started creating a missing exhaust note sound.. I got it checked this weekend, and the mech says it's probably bcos of the jets and costed me another 5k to put in new Jets (the whole kit i guess)
Cheers,
J.

Keep it clean! Keep it mean!
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:13   #14
BHPian

Wrong question may be, but I saw a GSX 600 F on sale in New Delhi on bikez.biz. The pictures looked like exactly your bikes. Is it by any chance the same or a similar model.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:23   #15
BHPian

i think jsmonu try to get to another mech in your city. might help.

first think for a carbed bike would be to check the carbs, clean them and then syn them together.

Get to someone who works on such bikes regularly..

Last edited by invincible7 : 23rd December 2008 at 18:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks