Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 21:35   #1

American Custom Choppers in India

www.acecustomz.com is looking for a partner to distribute our motorcycles in India. I've posted pictures to my gallery on BHP and you can also look at the gallery on our website. The bikes are fierce not only in appearance but push almost 100 bhp (95 but who's counting, right?) to the rear wheel!!!

You all seem to be very knowledgeable about the scene in India so would you please share with me:

1) What are your thoughts on bikes like these, will they go over in India?
2) Do you know any car or motorcycle dealers who would be interested in partnering with us?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

Jeff
Old 7th February 2009, 10:56   #2
BHPian

Ace

Hey Ace. I went through your website. The bikes are neat and with the famous S&S drivertrains there is no doubt that these are highly reliable machines.

As for business in India, I am sure you will have no difficulty in finding a dealer but all this is subject to the kind of pricing, investments, duty structure and end Retail price to the customer that matters. Ofcourse, the custom motorcycle will not fetch you masses, but then at what cost will you get a distributor to support that? Low sales, high investments would require high returns on investments. So in a nutshell, what pricing are you looking at? What are the initial volumes? What plans do you have for after sales? I'm not asking for business details right here because there is a lot more than just this. However, if in a few words you could explain the above, yes, you will have people who will be interested as the word will get moving.

Also, I hope you know that the average Indian man is shorter than the average American and csutoms are long riding machines.

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 7th February 2009 at 10:59. Reason: Height!
Old 7th February 2009, 11:42   #3
BANNED

What about registration? It is not mandatory that the vehicle be tested at VRDE or somesuch establishment?
Old 7th February 2009, 15:13   #4
BHPian

The bikes are good no doubt, but what about their emission ? This aspect needs to be looked into, too.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 7th February 2009, 21:45   #5
BHPian

all of the above are very valid points! but the biggest restriction would be duties! thats what is still the reason harley hasn't entered the indian market, but been trying for quite a while.
Cost is the magic question here! Volumes is definately out of the question but you shall have to make an analysis towards what costs you are looking at as the number of true enthusiasts willing to sheel out enough cash would be quite low!
You must also understand that India might be the largest 2wheeler mkt but the point is 2wheelers are an economic way to get around here, not that there aren't enthusiasts but the percentage is very low, in other words most people ride 2wheelers as a compulsion and not by choice, so you're going to have a very very limited target market!

Best of luck!
Old 10th February 2009, 07:32   #6

Extremely good looking bikes, yes, but it seems to me like you need a lot more ground clearance if you want to ride them in this country!
Old 10th February 2009, 09:36   #7
BHPian

Your Web site is very low on technical information and high on bling bling. Contrary to popular opinion, the Indian vehicle buyer isn't dumb. Bringing first world junk to India will more often than not fail (anyone remember Montego, Peugeot?)
  1. I don't see a single bike that has Ace stamped on the case. The pictures on your Website could very well be those of Victory concepts or any other American custom.
  2. I couldn't find a lot of technical information on engine specs, final drive, FI, emissions. What is unique about your bike other than looks?
  3. You seem to have used "American made" quite generously and having lived in America for a long long time, I can say that in the automotive industry, that's not a good thing. And people know it.
  4. You may want to get a technical writer to go over your Web site. Some of the writing is a bit amateurish and if you expect people to spend millions of rupees (I am expecting your prices to be close to 10 lakh or above), they would pick up on that stuff.
Good luck, I would like to see you succeed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks