Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 17:18   #1
BHPian

1983 Honda Superdream

Hey. How much should I pay for a 1983 Honda CB400N Superdream in Mumbai. The bike is in original condition with the engine unopened. While the papers are clear, the bike has not been re-registered since its first registration. Could this be a problem? Second, theres an oil leak from somewhere and is leaking on the left hand side screws, above the gearbox. Is this a serious problem?

Thanks a tonne in advance
Old 11th February 2009, 20:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude, would suggest you pm Manson and Straight6. I am sure you would be able to get the entire history of the bike.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:00   #3
BHPian

I cant tell u the history of the bike but i might be able to help with price and problems (not the registration one)

I bike in original condition (Silencers, Indicators, Rear View Mirrors Head lamp etc) should fetch anywhere close to or over 1 Lakh, but can go down to as low as 40k if shes not in great shape.

As for the Oil leak - Both sides of the engine have engine covers - its been a long time since i've worked on a CB, but i would think it should be as simple as changing a Gasket - but that just depends on which gasket. If i remember right - there is a small rubber ring that seals the engine bay - if thats gone you would have to get the engine out of the bike to repair it. Is the oil leak from the screws or is it leaking onto the screws?

What colour is the bike and can u post some photos. I have a friend who could do alot of the work for you (He's got 3 CB's) but he's in pune.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:19   #4

I have seen a lot of these bikes and I can confidently say none of them are in really good shape. I would say the value of the bike is maximum 50k. As far as the RTO passing is concerned, it should not be a problem. However agents might charge you upto Rs 2000 for the same. But these bikes have a lot of heating and other issues so I would not suggest getting into it
Old 12th February 2009, 14:30   #5
BHPian

Samir: Where is this friend located? WIll he help out on a Honda CL350? Very similar to the CB series. This is a 1971 model, that has been taking out after almost 20 years. Engine is jammed. She is quite a classic, so want to revive it.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:34   #6
BANNED

Oh CB's are going for 1L thats quite good price if bike is in good condition as they are good runners and powerful enough for indian roads.Samir let me know if you know any good CB within 1L.
As my recent RD picks costed me a lot and bloody thing is that people are ready to pay those high prices.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 12th February 2009 at 14:39.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:46   #7
BHPian

@djpeesh,, this bike is located in colaba if im not mistaken,listed by a guy named wesley right? its been on the market for some time, spoke to him in december and he told me that the timing chain needed to be changed, hes asking for around 89k now, was 99k couple of months ago. have you ridden it? id think youd be able to get a good deal on it as it has been lying around for some time
Old 12th February 2009, 14:54   #8
BHPian

@Tuffryder - Hes in pune. He's not a professional mechanic or anything just somone who enjoys working on bikes - so no garage or anything.

@Ajaybiz - I dont know of any bikes. I live in the UK and so dont knwo much about bikes/cars for sale. I've been offered just over 1L for my bike - but id never sell it.

I guess with the influx of bigger more powerful bike's in the country the value of the CB fell. I still enjoy riding mine - Its smooth and comfortable.

Oh DJpeesh - If you do end up buying the bike - i have the workshop manual for it. You're more than welcome to have a copy. I've basically taken my whole bike apart and put it back together using the manual - Overnight!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2009 at 19:51. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
@Tuffryder - Hes in pune. He's not a professional mechanic or anything just somone who enjoys working on bikes - so no garage or anything.
Are you talking about Fareez Bhathena?
Old 12th February 2009, 16:06   #10
BHPian

Nope... Fareez actually has a garage.. and i dont think he has any CB's there..
Old 12th February 2009, 16:55   #11
BHPian

Yes. The bike is in Colaba and the guy's name is wesley. He's found someone apparently who doesnt care about price but wants the bike at any cost so I give up trying to negotiate. Anyways, thanks for everyone's inputs. Found one in Pune now and that seems more reasonable at 35k but in terrible condition. I'll put snaps when I visit the bike. Anyone wants to swap an awesome Roadking (with polished ports) for a 400 cc plus bike
Old 12th February 2009, 18:18   #12
BHPian

Djpeesh - Let me know the colour and stuff about the bike in Pune. I might know the bike and give you a bit of history on it. Are you only looking for CB's? Whats your budget - Someone who knows about what bikes are available might be able to suggest alternatives to you.

Will post fotos of a friends CB parked alongside mine - Later.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:30   #13
BHPian

Sameer thank you. I guessed as much he is not professional mech but since he has so many of the CB bikes, was wondering if he has any literature or could help me source parts for my bike. Also please let me know of any CBs, preferably CB350, for sale. I want one in any condition but at the lower range. I basically need the documents.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I've basically taken my whole bike apart and put it back together using the manual - Overnight!!
He's not bluffing, I was there watching a lot of it happen! Kahaan gaye woh din?
Old 13th February 2009, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Anyone wants to swap an awesome Roadking (with polished ports) for a 400 cc plus bike[/quote]

thats a bit overoptimistic dj .. but im interested if you're selling, serious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks