Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F

Here is the Honda CBX 750 F I upgraded to from an RD 350. Sold my RD in Oct last and was on lookout for an inline 4-cylinder bike of around 400 to 600 cc of any of the Japanese four ( HYSK ). Finally found one in March. As can be seen from the pix, the bike is in excellent shape and condition. Since it is a naked bike with all 4 cylinders, carbs and pipes visible, it is not mistaken for anything else. Unlike some of the R1s, Hayabusas and CBRs which are mistaken by many to be modified Pulsars and Karizmas these days. I recently saw a HH CBZ turned into a CBR 600 with fat tyres, dual disks ( wonder if the other disk works ), phony fat fairing hiding the puny single cylinder etc.

About the CBX, the engine is only 750 cc but because of those big fins ( aircooled ), it looks like a 1000 plus. And it is huuuge and heavy at 240 kilos. Acceleration is mindblowing and very scary. And so is the sound. The funny thing is, this bike sounds like two different bikes built into one. At low rpm at crawls, it sounds heavy and roaring. But if you open throttle and rip, the roar turns into an air-raid warning siren and it screams somewhat like an F1 car. Somewhere at 6-7 k rpm the transition in sound takes place.

I am planning to remove those ugly 80s pinstriping and leave it plain black with just a small Honda logo on tank. My search for this bike on Indian sites didn't yield anything. May be it is a very rare bike here in India. Experts please throw some light.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p1.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p2.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p3.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p4.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p5.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p6.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p7.jpg  

pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that is one clean, well kept motorcycle. The previous owner(s) must have been very technically inclined enthusiasts.
But, don'y you just miss the erratic power delivery of the RD, or are you already taking to the smooth power delivery from the Honda than being on the rowdy Yam?

Btw, which was the CBX with an inline 6 cylinder block? I always thought it was the CBX 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The funny thing is, this bike sounds like two different bikes built into one. At low rpm at crawls, it sounds heavy and roaring. But if you open throttle and rip, the roar turns into an air-raid warning siren and it screams somewhat like an F1 car. Somewhere at 6-7 k rpm the transition in sound takes place.
That sounds a lot like how my Thunderace behaved, the transition would take place around 4-5K rpm, that when the bike would literally shoot ahead.

manson.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase! Looks really clean.
With 91bhp on tap,thats a good amount of power to have.One of the main reasons the CBX was(and still does) the first choice for cop bikes -the weight of the bike.Very stable,and very fast.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only one in India.
Do upload a video/sound clip of the exhausts.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:20   #4
BHPian

congrats! nice clean bike! get rid of the stripes n the 'CBX' sticker on the fairing.. n try getting an original fairing visor.. this ones just spoiling the look..
Old 4th April 2009, 00:21   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

nice find mate.
well kept, sweet looking, mint, fast. Prrrfct!
IMO, The pinstipes look good man. The black will give it a look as if something's missing.

cheers
bharti22shresth

P.S.-that white lancer with the angels is yours? Looks nice.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mansion, Nitin and Bharti for those kind words.

Mansion, yes, I miss RD. Wish I could keep both. RD was erratic may be because it was a 2-cylinder 2-stroke. But still RD is very enjoyable. Yes, Honda's power delivery is indeed very smooth and seemless. Post 6k rpm, it just shoots like a missile. I wonder where does all that weight disappear. The 6-cyl CBX you spoke about was a 1000 cc bike which was a rare bike even in those days.

Nitin, I will post sound clips after I go back to Vizag after a week. I am really excited to know that this CBX could really be one of a kind in India. What more can I say? It is an honour to own a rare bike from the house of Hondas, if it is the only one.

Bharti, hmmm... those pinstripes! Thanks anyway. And yes, that is my Lancer which is my daily ride. CBX is weekend ride.
Old 4th April 2009, 05:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

The bike is in mint condition! I used to see a red/black one parked in a building in Breach Candy here and is the only one I ever saw personally.

Johnny in Bandra has the CBX 1000. Its one of the best sounding bikes you will come across.

Lets have a sound clip of the 750.
Old 4th April 2009, 05:43   #8
BHPian

Sagar: Thatz a really really beautiful bike. Congrats. If I can ask, how much did u pay for it? The bandra CBX's pictures are there somewhere on this site. What a monster that is. Seen so many on sale on the US ebay site for quite reasonable prices.
Old 4th April 2009, 06:39   #9
BHPian

Sagar: Congratulations on a Great Buy!

My friend in Cochin used to have a CBX 750, it looked awesome in Germain red. It was a cop bike from the Gulf and looked mean with the fairings etc removed! Acceleration is really good for an air/oil cooled 750 and the noise was super.
Old 4th April 2009, 08:53   #10
BHPian

Sagar, Awesome bike man, very neat, if you don't mind asking how much did you get it for ?
Old 4th April 2009, 09:00   #11
BANNED

@pgsagar
just noticed. Your bike has just 236 kms on the ODO or it's 100236? or there's something else to that?

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 4th April 2009, 09:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Bike looks great (and the car too).

Couldnt wait for your videos::P

RD vs CBX !
Old 4th April 2009, 10:43   #13
BANNED

I was trying to refrain from this question till now because I know I don't have the monetary back but what the heck, that video's so YUMMY, I have to ask,
How much you got it for man?

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 4th April 2009, 15:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

I bought it for 2 lakh. Cost me another 12K to fly down and and bring it back to Vizag. It wasn't a traditional bike metros like Mumbai, Delhi, B'lore Pune. I had to change 2 flights to get there and two trains back to get home. But the previous owner is a nice guy; he booked a room for me in a hotel and paid for it.

JK Das. Grrrreat video clips! especially the 240 kph one. I will be out of town for 4/5 days. After I am back, I'll upload the sound clip.

Bharti, you have a keen observation indeed. Yes, there has been an old and new pics mix up and p4,p5,p6 were pics sent by previous owner. The rest all pics were taken yesterday. today the odo reads 18000k. Here are some pix I took today. The exhaust can got a crack and hence I gave it to mech it to weld/m-seal.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p8.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p9.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p10.jpg  

My 1989 Honda CBX 750 F-p11.jpg  

Old 4th April 2009, 17:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Awesome bike i must say.It looks so beefy and loaded.Is this a Single exhaust with 4 bores?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks