Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 22:58   #121
BHPian

Re: Import regulations for bikes

Hi,

I'm in a weird dilemma. I am relocating to Sunnyvale, US by end of september, and will be provided a container to ship my goods. I was considering taking my Harley Davidson Superlow 883 to US. The sole motivation is the time I have spent with the bike, and I want it to be driven in US too. Can someone help me with useful pointers. The last option I have is to hand over to my friends or worst case sell it.
Old 20th August 2014, 23:46   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Hi,

I'm in a weird dilemma. I am relocating to Sunnyvale, US by end of september, and will be provided a container to ship my goods. I was considering taking my Harley Davidson Superlow 883 to US. The sole motivation is the time I have spent with the bike, and I want it to be driven in US too. Can someone help me with useful pointers. The last option I have is to hand over to my friends or worst case sell it.
Your emotion to the HD is understandable, but you need to consider will you be relocating to US permanently or jus for a few years? If its latter then you have to go thru' a huge amount of hassle to take the bike back to India.

HD are abundant here, you will have ample choices on used and new with tons of custom parts at much lower prices.

here is some information I got of the US govt site.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-a-motorcycle
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 12:50   #123

I am in the process of importing a used BMW K1200R under transfer of residence rules. The bike is waiting for customs clearance and I need to work on RTO registration post that.
As part of my research, had to search for govt regulations on import policy.
Attaching the document here in case anyone else needs it.

Mods, if there is place to retain these document, pls keep a copy. It took me a while to procure this.

Regards,
Sid
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ImportPolicy_ch87.pdf (206.8 KB, 739 views)
Old 13th November 2014, 14:02   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidz23 View Post
I am in the process of importing a used BMW K1200R under transfer of residence rules. The bike is waiting for customs clearance and I need to work on RTO registration post that.

Mods, if there is place to retain these document, pls keep a copy. It took me a while to procure this.

Regards,
Sid
The customs clearance is the easy part esp in Chennai, but RTO regn is a whole chapter by itself.

It can be done without paying any bribe or agents. Just that you need the patience & time to visit the RTO a good number of times.

You have to be ready with the following to make it smooth :
1) The address in your passport & your actual permanent address the vehicle will be registered being same will help a lot (remember, they post your RC book, smart card to the address you provide). If not a proper local address proof should do.

2) Copy of the European CE Approval report (its about 15-20 pages) for the K1200R (your dealer should be able to provide this).

3) A letter to be submitted to the Transport Commissioner (attaching copies of your passport page where the customs enter details of your bike under TR, CE approval report, copy of customs clearance certificate etc) telling him that you have transferred your residence and hence imported the bike and want to have it registered at---- address under --- RTO jursidiction. And thats its for your personal use and you will not sell it etc...

Note: His approval can take anything from 4 to 15 days and they normally send it directly to the concerned RTO. If however, you are able to sweet talk, then they give this approval to you personally, which you have to submit to the RTO with all your other papers.

BTW, this point 3 is actually not required as it is well within the RTO's power to register the bike. However, after a lot of grey imports were caught and RTOs taken to task, they play it safe and want to get the approval

4) They work out the road tax structure based on your bike's age and customs value etc and after that is paid, you are almost there.

Good luck

Last edited by Haroon : 13th November 2014 at 14:05.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 14:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Sid
All the Best Mate.

As Haroon said the Customs is the easier part. The tough part is with the RTO. I hope the Chennai RTO is more proactive than the the Bangalore RTO.

Haroon has not written about his travails with the Bangalore RTO, inspite of having few strings to pull. I ahve written about my journey in my
Bonneville thread - Posts 102 to 160.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ore-india.html

Also one step I think Haroon did not mention is that the RTO will write a letter to the Customs Authority clearing your bike to reconfirm in writing that its a "legal import" etc.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 13th November 2014 at 14:17.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:14   #126

Thanks Haroon and Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
All the Best Mate.
As Haroon said the Customs is the easier part. The tough part is with the RTO. I hope the Chennai RTO is more proactive than the the Bangalore RTO.
I am still thinking about which RTO to use. I am originally from Goa (passport address in Goa), and the bike is landing in Goa post customs clearance.
I am working in Chennai, and the bike will be ridden out of Chennai.

I have spoken to the Goa RTO, and they seemed very ill-informed. They wanted me to go through homologation inspite of explaining TR, till I showed them the regulations.
Its not ill-intention, but just ignorance of the regulations.

Will be speaking to the Chennai RTO tomorrow. Will see what I hear on the process.

@Haroon: Thanks for the tip on "European CE Approval report". I will talk to the Bangalore BMW dealer to see if they have a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
4) They work out the road tax structure based on your bike's age and customs value etc and after that is paid, you are almost there.
Is there any document/link on the road tax calculation? I somehow feel showing an official document/circular helps with the discussion before the RTO guys do guesswork.

Still holding up on patience
Old 13th November 2014, 16:32   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Also one step I think Haroon did not mention is that the RTO will write a letter to the Customs Authority clearing your bike to reconfirm in writing that its a "legal import" etc.
Ram

Thanks Ram. Actually the verification is indeed part of the procedure and I missed to mention it. However, strangely in my case after all the roller-coaster ride, I came to learn that my documents didnt go for verification to Chennai customs at all (confirmed by RTO and my clearance agent). They instead took my original customs clearance documents for their file and acknowledged on a copy with stamp saying the original document has been taken by the RTO for their files.

Yes, the actual procedure of this customs verification can take 3 weeks to 2 months as it goes/comes thru the official govt postal channel.
Old 13th November 2014, 21:12   #128
BHPian

@ sidz23- I shall touch upon the points as follows from my experience. So if any hitch at RTO, just go ahead and say a friend of mine did it thru normal procedure as follows:

Road Tax
I dont have the road tax structure and just went with the RTO calculation which was done by 3 different people and it all came to an almost identical figure.

Registration
Regarding doing regn, its better you stick with goa. One of our fellow members had problems after importing in Chennai and wanting to register in Chennai, but his passport address was Coimbatore (or probably vice versa). It took him a while to sort things out inspite of it being in the same state.

Homologation
The homologation was also brought up in my case, but one of the officers in the Transport commissioners office said thats not required since its your personal import. Besides, bikes below 800cc need homologation. For this issue, this CE approval cert was sufficient (Navneet Motors can help you).

Going out of Customs
As for riding out of Chennai customs warehouse, be warned that you are not supposed to ride it. It has to get out of the gate on a truck/trailer/goods carier and that vehicle's regn no has to be fed into the computer system to generate your out pass. What I did was I gave them the no of the taxi I went in and then pushed & rolled the bike out of customs. As it was late evening I had about 25-30 warehouse staff accompanying and helping me push the bike.... Once outside, I reconnected the battery, filled the gas that I took in a bottle and fired up the bike & rode off. Good luck with 89 Octane gas!! BTW, once regn etc is done I strongly suggest you remap the fuel from Navneet for 89 gas.

Insurance
Its compulsory you have atleast 3rd party insurance as you have to ride thru 2 states before entering Goa. In my case New India Assurance guys in Chennai had no clue saying they cant do it unless its already registered in India!!! So I had to ride without it to Bangalore. However, the same company's Indiranagar branch in bangalore did my insurance based on the engine & chassis number (as insurance is a pre-condition to submit your documents to RTO for registration). After getting my KA regn no, I just had to endorse that on the same policy. Anyway the insurance company will have to inspect the bike and engine/chassis no before issuing a policy so you will have to hook up with an insurance company in Chennai before you start your ride.

Last edited by Haroon : 13th November 2014 at 21:24.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 12:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of our fellow members had problems after importing in Chennai and wanting to register in Chennai, but his passport address was Coimbatore (or probably vice versa). It took him a while to sort things out inspite of it being in the same state.
Haroon, that bike (HD) is still not registered. Its partly because our friend seem to have lost interest and partly because of the "agent". The same fellow he recommended for me.

Sid I think its better you register it in Goa first. Then if you have a proof of address in Chennai, such as a BSNL Land Line Bill, Landed Property House/Land - the Receipt of the Revenue Tax Payment or Corporation Tax payment, you can get an NOC from Goa and transfer to Chennai.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th November 2014 at 09:41. Reason: broken quote tags fixed
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 14:06   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Haroon, that bike (HD) is still not registered. Its partly because our friend seem to have lost interest and partly because of the "agent". The same fellow he recommended for me.
Ram

OMG, thats surprising! When I had spoken to him long back, he said that its almost sorted out and besides, he is not the first or last person to have such a situation. Many of us I am sure have different addresses. Probably, the agent...??

I have to thank my wife, who in my absence went & really irritated the guys in Koramangala RTO so much that they finally had to give in and do it without any bribe money
Old 17th November 2014, 09:34   #131

Quote:

Going out of Customs
As for riding out of Chennai customs warehouse, be warned that you are not supposed to ride it.
Good luck with 89 Octane gas!! BTW, once regn etc is done I strongly suggest you remap the fuel from Navneet for 89 gas.
Since I am moving my residence from the US, the moving company will be delivering the bike along with my household stuff to Goa in a container.
And, since the items were reaching goa, they chose Bombay port for customs. I somehow think Chennai customs is way better than Bombay (atleast the airport customs).

Thanks for the tip on fuel remapping. I will talk to Navneet. I hope to ride the bike from Goa to Chennai... via Blr. And will be scheduling service with Navneet in Blr.

The bike manual says 95 RON, I assume speed 97 should work. Need to find a PP in Chennai OMR/ECR region.

Will talk to a few insurance folks. Will see what they say.
Old 17th November 2014, 13:57   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Since I am moving my residence from the US, the moving company will be delivering the bike along with my household stuff to Goa in a container.
And, since the items were reaching goa, they chose Bombay port for customs. I somehow think Chennai customs is way better than Bombay (atleast the airport customs).

Thanks for the tip on fuel remapping. I will talk to Navneet. I hope to ride the bike from Goa to Chennai... via Blr. And will be scheduling service with Navneet in Blr.

The bike manual says 95 RON, I assume speed 97 should work. Need to find a PP in Chennai OMR/ECR region.

Will talk to a few insurance folks. Will see what they say.

In general, Chennai Customs are better to deal with. However, in your case you will have to do it thru Mumbai since the container is landing there and its closer to goa (Ram imported his Bonnie thru mumbai). Besides, if I am not mistaken, they do the clearance of your household stuff separately (keep 2-3 days) and then the bike is cleared separately (another 2-3 days or more). Also make sure there is a 'Trade Discount' you are entitled to on the bike value during the Customs calculation after the deprecation.

As for fuel, if you want to do some serious touring, the Speed 97 goes out of the window as there are very very few bunks all across the country (& shrinking!) unless you plan to carry extra fuel in a back-up vehicle. Even the 'Premium Unleaded' is available in few bunks in cities (definitely nothing on the highways!) Unfortunately, my bike is a 2005 GS and when Navneet plugged it into their system, they were unable to do the remap as that option did not exist on my ECU. Seems 2007 & later beemers have that option. So after a gigantic search across the globe (also spoke to Power Commander, Wunderlich and few tuners in UK for a piggyback ECU), but seems my only options are either Octane Boosters or the Fitch Fuel Catalyst (www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com), both available in bangalore. A relative in blr was happy with the latter product on his Goldwing and hence I am also seriously considering that as I want to stay away from Octane Boosters.

Last edited by Haroon : 17th November 2014 at 14:03.
Old 26th November 2014, 07:55   #133
BHPian

Quote:
OMG, thats surprising! When I had spoken to him long back, he said that its almost sorted out and besides, he is not the first or last person to have such a situation. Many of us I am sure have different addresses. Probably, the agent...??

I have to thank my wife, who in my absence went & really irritated the guys in Koramangala RTO so much that they finally had to give in and do it without any bribe money
I'm the person who took my bike on TR and wrote a in depth thread about how to do it without paying a single penny..
I have not registered the bike so far and it has nothing to do with the agent or anything..
My situation was totally different..
1. When I imported my FXDC to Chennai there was not a single FXDC model sold in the state of TN so Tamilnadu RTO was having real difficult issues in finding that model under TN legislation and could not do it..
2. Only one FXDC was registered in KA at that time in June of 2011 but TN RTO guys told me that they would not take an example from other state...
3. I repatriated back to USA and hence i've kept my bike in climate controlled garage in BLR and it is laying low for sometime..

These are the facts that you heard from the source which is me
shrini78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 07:58   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Hi,

Sell the superlow in IND and get a bike once you settle down in USA.
Few reasons
You will pay a hefty import fee to import a bike into USA which did not have a NAFTA manufacturing...
Anything inside NAFTA there are no import regulations..
Roads are wide unlike IND and when u ride next to a 18 wheeler your bike will be puny and soon you'll outgrow it..
My sincere suggestion sell it off or hibernate it or give it to a trusted confidante who can take care of it

I'm hardly on this site as I constantly fly between Atlantic due to work...
I just feel sorry/pity for the folks who are giving all bollocks value of the customs..
I did bring my bike on TR (Transfer of Residence) 3 years ago..

Pls go thru this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...-bike-usa.html

Mods for heaven sake i'd appreciate if you can move the thread to sticky so it'll be helpful to so many folks who wanna bring the bike on TR...I've personally received many thank you notes & emails after folks reading thru the thread and bringing their bike

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2014 at 15:23. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:43   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
I'm the person who took my bike on TR and wrote a in depth thread about how to do it without paying a single penny..
I have not registered the bike so far and it has nothing to do with the agent or anything..
Hi Srini,

I am glad to hear this. (ButI have sent you a PM, explaining my reasons for thinking different).

Also let me make it very clear that my remarks were in no way intended to cast an aspersions on you or your intentions about trying to help me and am still greatful to you for providing the contact, especially in a scenario, where I was in an out of Bangalore on a regula basis.

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Most Viewed