Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 19:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

hi dustom_99,
nice bike.
because it is your second time building bike you can over come previous problems.
i am thinking to start similar project my self.
so have following questions
  • materials used for chassis
  • type of welding /welder used
  • tools used (at home)
  • what is estimated cost
  • price/specs of engine
best of luck
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:06   #62
BANNED

I did not use any fancy space age material, usually mild steel seamless tubes of dia 2"-3" are used largely.,welding has been commonly used electric arc with 3.15mm flux coated electrode with medium to deep medium penetration characteristics.

engine i bought was 12k,gearbox zen 6k,standard specs,now valve lift increased by 2mm,inlet dia(manifold increased ),little bump in compression,now running close to 10:1(approx),machined flywheel,flywheel power came out to be 67bhp.

i had to waste a lot of money in developing new solutions for the problems i faced,
approx expenditure has been around 1.7l,out of which i guess 45-50 % has been wastage.
let me know what are you planning ,may be i could give some inputs!
best of luck jeepster
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:09   #63
BHPian

Neat project man. keep it up.
Just a few pointers,
1. that car tyre profile will be a serious downer thru turns....switch to say the FZ's rear tyre.
2. Try to source the 16v head for the Zen engine
3. design a good pipe for the range you desire.

Joel
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:18   #64
BANNED

this car's rear tyre will be skimmed later on ! on a tyre retreading machine,giving it nice voluptuous curves,the edges will all vanish,dont worry on that part.

Rest all the stuff will come later,rite now its hard to find time even to finish up the tits bits that i have spread all over
Old 4th July 2009, 15:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

pudate please

following questions,
  • type of welding /welder used (what power)
  • tools used (at home).
& update on the project .
Old 7th July 2009, 15:55   #66
BANNED

initially i used a lincon portable welder,300amps,which i bought second hand from a junk dealer,but afetr serving me for about a year,i has gone burst now,now i have a SK welder(ones the welding shops usualluy keep for work) rated at 250 amps.
in tools.i dont have much1
drill MC 16mm
hand drill MC 13mm,
angle grinder
straight grinder
tool box,
socket set,
allen key set,
vice
work bench
and sme other tits bits
Old 7th July 2009, 16:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
initially i used a lincon portable welder,300amps,which i bought second hand from a junk dealer,but afetr serving me for about a year,i has gone burst now,now i have a SK welder(ones the welding shops usualluy keep for work) rated at 250 amps.
in tools.i dont have much1
drill MC 16mm
hand drill MC 13mm,
angle grinder
straight grinder
tool box,
socket set,
allen key set,
vice
work bench
and sme other tits bits
from your engineering point of view, that may not be much. but from a normal persons view - you got a lot of tools .

UM
Old 7th July 2009, 17:26   #68
BANNED

And all the heavy work of turning ,milling,cutting and tube bending i get it done from small engineering shops in market.
well the latest on the project is.
i made a gearbox,which was meant to change the rotation of output from primary gearbox(as i have thrown out the inhoused diffrential from the original gearbox).so the rotation had to be changer.
after i finished it,and tried to install,i found out that i was left with absolutely no space at all for drive shaft to travell from gearbox to final drive.
So now i have ripped that gearbox,and now i have installd 3rd gear set of safari in place of zen's original 5th gear set.

this will make my gear box a 4 speed one,but the fayda is that now i dont need any extra gearbox,the place lect empty by 5th gear set is now utilised well.

this was the first time i have played around with a gearbox,that too a pretty complicated one.its just now that i have found out how tough it is to do it.hats off to the guys who make gearbox last a WRC .atleast i wasnt concerned too much for keeping the gearbox light.

i have coupled the engine to it and made 2 trial runs of the new modified gearbox,just to check the newly installed gears were in right orientation and pressure angle was ok if not perfect.seems pretty alright uptill now.

soon the pics will come
\infact i clicfkled a few,but forgot to bring them to office.

so finally,after 2 months of endless night labour,the rear end seems to have come together.
i have given the rear hub for some machining in market,by monday it will be with me,i ll have a trial run of entire assembly with rear wheel.

now i am concentrating on front end,
this time i am planning on raked out front.with some meaty front forks.
have heard that FZ yamaha is coming with 41mm front forks,that seems to be fattest in indya yet.
however i am a little speculative if the will be hold on to a weight of over 230kg+rider with raked out config? what you say guys?

othervise i will go with neander type quad frontforks!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 7th July 2009 at 17:30.
Old 7th July 2009, 18:59   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in tools.i dont have much1- drill MC 16mm, hand drill MC 13mm, angle rinder, straight grinder, tool box, socket set, allen key set, vice, work bench and sme other tits bits
thanks (multiplexed by unlimited) for the information. the welders power in amps was the most needed.
Quote:
i made a gearbox,
So now i have ripped that gearbox,and now i have installd 3rd gear set of safari in place of zen's original 5th gear set.
so finally,after 2 months of endless night labour,the rear end seems to have come together.

now i am concentrating on front end, FZ yamaha 41mm front forks?
what you say guys?
othervise i will go with neander type quad frontforks!
ahh, 99 more detailed info on gear box .

i think Yamaha forks are little short!!
i would go for quad set up any time with Yamaha ones also.

& pictures please
Old 7th July 2009, 19:08   #70
BANNED

so jeepster,
what sort of motorcycle are you planning to put together?
let me advice you that,all the time and money its going to consume,it will be worthwhile and fruitful,however also keep in mind that you will almost certainly not be able to ride it legally in india.
anytime you get caught,you get busted with such a bike!!
worth taking a chance in my small town area..
please update about your plans!i would be glad to help you anyway i can
Old 7th July 2009, 20:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what sort of motorcycle are you planning to put together?

anytime you get caught,you get busted with such a bike!!
worth taking a chance in my small town area..

please update about your plans!i would be glad to help you anyway i can
1-
it will be like the one made by mr.Jeewanjit Singh
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1361736

2-
sorry i mean with a small bribe who dosent. anyway it is what i want to do, if it run only for 100 feet i will be satisfied.

3-
it is one of the things which i want do do before die.
- home made bike
- trip to leh & manasarovar with my 750 DP
- a descent home garage with some essential tools where i can do stuf like kit cars, some modifications , restorations.
so the start & end of any thing above will be tomorrow or after 20 years who knows
the home garage will start soon , some things will be brand new but some second hand.
i will start collecting /buy stuff depending when i get the combination of vitamin 'm' & a good offer .

Last edited by jeepster : 7th July 2009 at 20:12.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:27   #72
BHPian

Nice project in progress. I am planning to start my project but I am looking for some feasible engine. Bloody buggers need 1.4L + tax for 3 cylinder 17 hp diesel . My plan is to make road legal diesel bike so i can tour and all day cruise at 100 kmph.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:47   #73
BANNED

3 cylinder diesel?? must be one which is being used in 3 wheelers from atul autos! is it..?

hey , RE is already 18bhp with nice torque and it isnt capable of 100kmph all day run,moreover 3 cylinder diesel will surely be atleast double the weight of bullet engine might even be more Plus you would have to entirely fabricate the whole gearbox because none of the motorcycle gearbox would handle additional torque of a diesel plus some innovative clutch would be needed.

because of bigger and heavier engine almost every component of bike would be fabricated including the frame,which would be too much of added weight!

torque too high with very little RPM range would lead to too many gear changes!
anyway its your project ,you sure will have already thought long and hard on these lines i guess!

I my opn diesel is the way to go for sure,and i have started the project myself, but my motorcycle would not be road legal at all,and it would be close to 100bhp,so added weight wont be a big hassel as there will be plenty of horses to pull it! only thing hindring is NOT LEGAL
Old 15th July 2009, 23:50   #74
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am talking about lombardini FOCS engines not a triple but a twin. Afaik Atul auto uses 1 cylinder 8 hp engine. AFAIK only ace uses 2 cylinder. Whats important in diesel is torque. It actually reduces frequent gear shift. I purchased a 1964 diesel bullet to convert with high power diesel engine as RTO will not allow any petrol to diesel conversion. Hence its difficult to get diesel bull. I went to rural place 450 Km away from chennai picked up and came back riding on the same bull . I dont feel any tiredness but it vibrates above 50 kmph.
I had plans to import engine from china 600-700 cc v-twin capable of 20-22 hp and 40 - 50 Nm torque. Later i heard its more hassle to import the engine as you need import license and also need to state the reason for import. If you are going to use it on road then it needs to be homogolated with ARAI pune. phew!
My current options as of now is ace but its bulky, force m4 super basically om616 engine with one cylinder, Ape Truk engine. This seems to be better. But only drawback is 13 hp and 23 Nm torque. Another plus point is it can be revved upto 5k rpm compared to 3500 for other engines. I do have plans to put turbocharger
coming to the GB options enfied 4s, 5s or modified rd350 as it has 2 overdrive gears which will be specially suitable for diesel.

Last edited by vijaycool : 15th July 2009 at 23:51.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:53   #75
BANNED

5000rpm ! wow dats a lot revs for a small NA diesel engine! now the project sounds cool.initially i thgt it would rev just about 2500 rpm,with torque range of 1500 to 2300,so i said limited rev range. hey! neway what are the formalities one has to undergo for swaping engine on a motorcycle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks