Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 10:23   #76
BANNED

Diesel started

ok guys here is the new pic of the direction change gear that has been installed sucessfully and has been Brake tested

this has reduced the over all weelbase by 223mm as compared to the hand made gear box configration
also i have started the front end work,bought yamaha FZ 41 mm front forks. will try them with SNS configration. If they seem to handle well its good,else i would switch to quad front.
will some one tell me if the stearing stem of FZ will fit into Stearing head of bullet? or will i have to make a stearing head aswell? also does yamaha FZ uses ball type stearing or does it come with cone bearing set..?

this time i am raking the bike to 40* and trail of about 9".exact sepc i will be able to tell only when i finish the fabrication!

Hey i have started the diesel project aswell!
In talks with a Junk dealer for verna crdi with complete harness(along with all ecu input sensors , Lambda and ecu.
he is asking for 80grands.
Motor comes from 2008 verna crdi(writeoff) and had done 47k km before it passed away in a road accident!
Motor looks clean,vith very little damage (none of it to vital parts)
How many of you think 80grands is right money for it..?
Attached Thumbnails
'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-image151.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 16:25   #77
BHPian

Hi The verna crdi project sounds cool. But take my advise we are not in US of A. Just plonk an engine or build a new frame and get it registered. Thats why custom motorcycles and custom engines do not exist here.
The engine i was talking about is Ape truk 482 single cyl. water cooled. I think Greaves is manufacturing this engine with lombardini.
If you wanna use as a road legal get a diesel endorsed bike (Royal enfield) and plonk ape truk engine. No engine swapping is allowed even diesel with diesel. You can show to the RTO as an acedemic project for improving thermal efficiency and reliablity and get it endorsed. This is what i heard.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:44   #78
BANNED

i live in a small city,and have absolutely no problem roaming around on such a bike,infact until last year before i rip apart my bike,i use to ride it quite frequiently and almost all police walas knew me then so never had any problem

welding MC 250 amps 2/1 phase cost me about 7k/. and i too am searching for hydraulic tube bender,i have only one guy who does the job in my town ,he too dosnt work with heavy guage tubing.although one of my frds claim to be making a hydraulic tube bender on his own as a project just like i love to work on bike.if he comes up with something, i am in for a treat.if you find a bender for upto 3" dia DOM tubing do let me know also

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please refrain from discussing methods such as bribery and the like since its a controversial topic. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th October 2010 at 16:28.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

@Jeepster
If you want i can get in touch with Mr. jeevanjeet singh (gypsy bike) and get you some tips about the suspension . he had used the front from an RD350 and rear monoshock was custom made .

IMO use the front and rear end from some junk superbike . you can get them VERY easily from thailand . its a superbike junkyard out there .
If you can work with this set up the bike will turn out very nicely . And also what chassis are you working on ?
Old 16th July 2009, 17:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
The good part is we are not in US of A! till the time you stay away from metros and big cities,half of the police guyz dsnt even know what to do with such a bike...when they stop you,and day or night summer or winter lil bribe thingy always works here!!LOL.
i live in a small city,and have absolutely no problem roaming around on such a bike,infact until last year before i rip apart my bike,i use to ride it quite frequiently and almost all police walas knew me then so never had any problem
Road legal means hassle free. This is what i try to mention. if you wanna chopper look and willing to import engines from china look for kipor and punsun engines. Cool V- engines will be the factor. After import it will be around 50k.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:20   #81
BANNED

Rd weight is very less as compared to my current and previous project! one can use stiffer springs in RD front forks but one cannot change the damping provided by them ,so not a complete job.it might have worked somewhat in Mr jeevanjeet's bike cuz he made it like naked street bike with much lower Rake than my design. i am keen on trying telelever design , otherwise front neander type quad front forks would sure do the trick as they increase both stiffness and damping twofold. I did not have very pleasing experince of importing things, got final drive from US workt 120$ and ended up paying more than 25k.Damn those custom duties and fine imposed! guess i would try things that are either available in India or can be manufactured here for my projects
Old 16th July 2009, 18:20   #82
BHPian

Yes you need to notify customs before importing else you land up in paying heavy penality often more than 300%. We need to utilize our limited resource else fabricate on your own. Getting a manual pipe bender is not hard you can find in hardware stores and it can bend upto 2.5 inch. You can later convert to hydraulic bender by using 8 ton hydraulic jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
this time i am raking the bike to 40* and trail of about 9".exact sepc i will be able to tell only when i finish the fabrication!
Are you sure you need 40 deg rake? It is certainly going to behave abnormally, uncontrollable wobble at low speeds and rock hard steering at high speed. Recommended trail is below 4.5" or 5.5" in some case. If you wanna 40deg rake try to offset to minimize trail or try to fabricate "Sugar beer" steering setup.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 01:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:17   #83
BANNED

40* yes. yes the bikewould be handfull to handle at low speeds but rock hard stearing at high speed..isnt that desirable,afterall people dont take turns by twisting the handle bars at high speeds. or do they?
anyway whts sugar beer ?? never heard of that
Old 16th July 2009, 23:27   #84
BHPian

google "sugar beer" you will come to know. its a different setup where you can have greater rake angle with center point steering 0 trail. 9" trail is really uncontrollable to the extent the front end wobbles and eventually you may fall down at slow speed. Rock hard adjustment will be tiresome for your hands. You need to put man effort to turn around a corner. Take an example you are cruising at 100 a buffalo out of nowhere came in front you have plenty of space in the road yet you cant deviate quick enough. Another case, you planned to slow down but due to low speed instability the wheel wobbles and you fell down. Not a good sign. So think around and try to be in the range of 5" . Even a cm will change the property of handling

Last edited by vijaycool : 16th July 2009 at 23:41.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:57   #85
BHPian

Sorry I couldnt able to find sugar beer set up. My hard disk crashed and so my contents. This is the set up i was talking about.

Jeri's Springer Front End - Cold Hard Bitch by Billy The Kid Custom Cycles

Just check the trail. The trail has been shorted with respect to the length of the plate.

Too litte trail:
With negative or too little trail the bike will handle well at low speeds but will easily develop a dangerous wobble at high speed.
Normal Trail:
The trail should be between 4 and 6.5 inches so that the bike handles easily at both high and low speeds.
Too much Trail:
You will have trouble balancing the bike at low speeds and it will handle sluggishly at high speeds.

----------

EDIT : ok i got it his name is Sugar bear.

Sugar Bear History

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 01:02. Reason: Formatting removed. Posts merged.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:05   #86
BANNED

Hey i have heard that before(that buffalow thing) , lot of car buyers are saying buy a car which will save you from buffallow{what the heck}.
i guess i have my priorities sorted out and that buffallo will even fail to make the cut in my case.

for me "live to ride" factor is more imp than die with the buffallo.more over 5-6" inches is just stock,and i aint makin no stock kit bike now.
whats the fun if you do every thing that The Books say, moreover customs choppers are not the handling king anyway and i aint planning to race on it.so i mean what the heck,why not make something that is easily spotted on the road,stands out and says i am not stock. while decimating everything when you get fits of rush.

when every thing is stock with stock dimentions the motorbike becomes so pridictible,boring to ride and after first few months people loose intrest in her ,just because they already know whats it is like to ride her! but when you are not sure how will your creation behave with you in a new situation,you start paying attention to how are you riding and how is she doing at every moment.thats when the respect for the machine develops.

we all got Girlfriends and wives and we all know what pain in A** the can be at times,but we love them! respect them! and make a strong bond! dont we?
Old 27th July 2009, 18:10   #87
BANNED

stearing head designed and manufactured!

designed the steering hear of my project just recently.
Its a first in India(within the project work boundary, and may be more) with tapered roller bearings.this was one of the toughest jobs as i had never worked with such close specs before. machining and fitment came out real good and head has been tested at 300kg load for free rotation!

attaching the pic of the stearing stem with head.

and yes .that wheel is not going with these forks.it has only been put thr for some measurement.proper FZ wheel with same disk upfront will go..may be i will change the FZ's tyre to a fatter front.
Attached Thumbnails
'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-image166.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 15:15   #88
BHPian

hi dustom_99, whats happening ?

update us here
Old 21st October 2009, 16:27   #89
BANNED

hi rennjit,

sorry could not keep you people update as i was out for 2 months for some stupid training!. however i am back now and most of the mechanical work has been finished,except installing a good enough rear suspension,fabrication of gear lever,brake lever and master cylinder for rear disk brake!.

most of the frame work has been finished ,such as swing arm,fabricated and installed,drive shaft done,engine mountings,gearbox mod..and a million other small issues.

here i am posting two pics,which show initial frame body!. quite a lot of work has gone into the frame and swingarm after these pics.i will try to explain some of it.

freash pics will be update either tomorrow or on monday .

thanks for keeping alive all this while, i was thinking once i finish off the things then only i will update it on BHP.
Attached Thumbnails
'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-image190.jpg  

'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-image191.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 16:37   #90
BANNED

These pics do not have the drive shaft, and you can see only one arm in swingarm,however now it has 2 such arms joint at the pivot point. i guess it would be better to post pics with updated things. gussets and end plates have been fabricated and welded ,and now the gearbox holds swingarm pivot at 3 points with a total of 6 nos m10 SS bolts.frame at tripletree joint has been provided 3 gussets to strengthen it.Front tyre has been changed to 130/90,FZ front caliper has been installed with FZ disk upfront.

And yes! baby does not need a stand to keep herself upright!

Most Viewed