Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 17:40   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
designed the steering hear of my project just recently.
Its a first in India(within the project work boundary, and may be more) with tapered roller bearings.this was one of the toughest jobs as i had never worked with such close specs before. machining and fitment came out real good and head has been tested at 300kg load for free rotation!

attaching the pic of the stearing stem with head.

and yes .that wheel is not going with these forks.it has only been put thr for some measurement.proper FZ wheel with same disk upfront will go..may be i will change the FZ's tyre to a fatter front.
Not the first .. may the 2nd . I have the conical bearings on my cd100ss ..hehe
Old 21st October 2009, 17:47   #92
BANNED

Quote:
hi rennjit,

sorry could not keep you people update as i was out for 2 months for some stupid training!. however i am back now and most of the mechanical work has been finished,except installing a good enough rear suspension,fabrication of gear lever,brake lever and master cylinder for rear disk brake!.

most of the frame work has been finished ,such as swing arm,fabricated and installed,drive shaft done,engine mountings,gearbox mod..and a million other small issues.

here i am posting two pics,which show initial frame body!. quite a lot of work has gone into the frame and swingarm after these pics.i will try to explain some of it.

freash pics will be update either tomorrow or on monday .

thanks for keeping alive all this while, i was thinking once i finish off the things then only i will update it on BHP.
A word of caution ..
try to do some extra reinforements for the frame .
Old 21st October 2009, 18:03   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Not the first .. may the 2nd . I have the conical bearings on my cd100ss ..hehe

HEHE! nice one! i said i designed the sterin head, and you installed conical bearings in existing head of CD SS.

but anyway i am still happy to be second.YOU are the MAN!
and yes the frame has already been beefed up at all joints by gussets as i already told you!.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:54   #94
BANNED

Quote:
HEHE! nice one! i said i designed the sterin head, and you installed conical bearings in existing head of CD SS.

but anyway i am still happy to be second.YOU are the MAN!
and yes the frame has already been beefed up at all joints by gussets as i already told you!.
Well, you are right .. you did a design and i just did an idea and I am glad that you made something possible .

My option would be to add a damper to the steering or try some brake lining kind of a setup which the pulsar has so that the steering is much more stable ,since the bearings are butter smooth with whatever kind of tightening torque .

I like the attitude (never say never die) of yours and I wish you all the success .
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:57   #95
BANNED

Current pics

sorry for the delay!! i have been off the project for a while,however posting current pics,suggest improvements! thanks
Attached Thumbnails
'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-dsc00703.jpg  

'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"-dsc00705.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2010, 17:04   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hats off on the ongoing effort mate. Just an observation, the seat doesn't seem to be in line with the rear tire. Or is it just in the pictures?
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry for the delay!! i have been off the project for a while,however posting current pics,suggest improvements! thanks
wow, looking great so far !

A few suggestions and questions.

1. you are using a Verna engine rated at 110bhp right ? can the frame handle the power ?

2. why not a alloy and tire from a superbike ?

3. You could work on the tank !

4. I think you are using suspension from a Pulsar, which wont be able to handle so much weight.

5 the brakes look inadequate !

Over all if you get everything right, this bike will be a monster in straight line !
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:08   #98
BANNED

well it is not!! you are right,lot of things will be like that,out of sync!! however they are yet not completely fixed,just joining seat and tank because i need to fabricate gear pedal and brake pedal
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:21   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
wow, looking great so far !

A few suggestions and questions.

1. you are using a Verna engine rated at 110bhp right ? can the frame handle the power ?

2. why not a alloy and tire from a superbike ?

3. You could work on the tank !

4. I think you are using suspension from a Pulsar, which wont be able to handle so much weight.

5 the brakes look inadequate !

Over all if you get everything right, this bike will be a monster in straight line !

NONO! this is not a verna engine! its from zen,
tyre will come later! not getting 240mm anywhere in india,upto 200 is available. so will see what can be done about that!
tank i guess will look pretty cool with nice pinstriping! lets see ,else i would change it!
suspension are not from pulsar, its 43mm telescopic from FZ,with platina oversprings,i tried many combiniations,this one handles pretty good, nigligible dive while still providing good enough travel of about 3".

brakes!! they are the bestest part i guess. my set up has a lot of weight on rear wheel and rear wheel hub has a ventilated disk from goldwing with 3 pot nissin caliper .i guess they would be quite adequate with front with a FZ disk setup.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:28   #100
BHPian

Sir,
Truly fantastic Job.This is the stuff we mechanical engineers really look forward to do and there are so little opportunities in India.
I hope something similar to apna desi Orange county choppers is on the way.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:49   #101
BHPian

Woah! Dude!! brilliant work!!

needs fine tuning! it is so much easier to critisize that to do

Hats off!!
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:08   #102
BANNED

well! i m still far from dat orange county chopper thing!! those guyz are just awesome! specially i loved indian larry .
but i guess they do very little experiment with mechanical part of the motorcycles,engines and tranny are always either baker or S&S,revtec etc,hardly anything would go wrong with them,true mastery is the way they visualise the frame they want to fit those components into,sheet metal work and to say the least the paint job is everytime awesome.

Trust me its just that we guys do not find time and do not dare to quit our jobs to chase our dreams, just because we are too scared to venture into rough seas .
otherwise india has lot of people who can do great in this field.

this project is a big task for me,as i have to do it and manage my company job as well ,and then find time for family! i had to do a lot of things that have not been done before in india, like rear suspension are horizontal and hidden completely under seat, swingarm is a total new design, drive shaft is a new design, complete gearbox has been reduced in size and now is only about as big as a bullet one.
frame has been done using 2.4mm thick steel with od 2.5",while almost all manufacturers use 1" and 1.75" tubing with wall thickness of 1mm.
swingarm is a 2" 3mm dom tubing.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NONO! this is not a verna engine! its from zen,
tyre will come later! not getting 240mm anywhere in india,upto 200 is available. so will see what can be done about that!
tank i guess will look pretty cool with nice pinstriping! lets see ,else i would change it!
suspension are not from pulsar, its 43mm telescopic from FZ,with platina oversprings,i tried many combiniations,this one handles pretty good, nigligible dive while still providing good enough travel of about 3".

brakes!! they are the bestest part i guess. my set up has a lot of weight on rear wheel and rear wheel hub has a ventilated disk from goldwing with 3 pot nissin caliper .i guess they would be quite adequate with front with a FZ disk setup.
Oh, i remember you mentioning a verna engine,

What about the gearbox ?
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:51   #104
BANNED

ya i did mention verna engine! i have worked out the project details for that aswell.
but not starting it as yet because of two factors
Money
Time
Not finding enough of any of it!
well verna project with aftermarket ECm will make it worlds fastest chopper and worlds fastest diesel motorcycle.i checked out the landseppd record website..so i m tilted towards that project.will start it soon.
Infact i m thinking about hiring my first employee,who would work on my instructions everyday of month for a fixed salary,othervise its hard to find even 10 man hours every month for me with my Job
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:55   #105
BHPian

Great job!!!

Just amazing!!! I can't imagine how charged up this project must keep you.

I know you are not bothered about mileage, but if I am not wrong, you must be getting around 18 kmpl?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 3rd March 2010 at 19:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks