Team-BHP - '1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   '1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/58433-1000cc-custom-cruiser-project-completed-pics-uploaded.html)

well this is the bike that i made during college days back in 2003,its still working pretty much at top levels of performance,however now after 5 years i get that bug is biting and fingering me again to take it higher stronger and faster!

so i have chopped it again to bits,
now working on
1. Installation of 215/45 rear wheel with 5 spoke alloy.
2. Final shaft drive from honda goldwing GL 1800.
3. Single sided swing arm.(self designed)
4. Rear wheel hub(self designed)
5. conversion of ZEN's gearbox get rid of Differential and provide output from counter shaft.
6. Design of drive shaft with 3 degree of freedom and 2" of longitudinal travel(slide).self designed with CV joints 2nos.
7. Rotation change gearbox for correcting rotation from modified gearbox.
8. conversion from cable type clutch to hydraulic clutch.
9. gear shifting mech foot operated.

Well that is what is already going on.

future plan includes
1.Quad front forks (neander type)
2. Individual crab for each cylinder
3. weight reduction by 25% of entire engine block and accessories
4.overall weight reduction by 30%.

please suggest improvements aesthetically as well as from engineering perspective.

any and all suggestions are welcome.

Whoa thats something that I havent heard of yet i.e. a home made bike :D

Please list out the details of the project done in 2003 like which engine, which chasis, the complete built process, would be very interesting to read :)

oh yes and i forgot to mention its name.
we named it Falcon initially,
with all this advancement this time i plan to call it Falcon GT

Wow! India's very own Triumph Rocket! Fantastic (except for the headlight)

How about some specs and tech details on the original bike before we go on to the next?

What a Fabulous job you have done!! Amazing man. That too in college.

Please rethink on the seats, fairing and front fork

mmm i would not let out the details of everything,for very obvious reasons,because i m still working on the same project its yet not completed,
however what i can discuss is :-
1.engine - from maruti ZEN (crab), somewhat modified for intake and exhaust and valve life producing 68 bhp(88nm torque)
2. stearing stem(triple tree) borrowed from bullet frame (chopped off a bullet frame)
3. front forks with additional coil over spring and extended front fork tubes (trust me i came up with SNS suspension before bajaj did)lol
4. entire chassis was hand fabricated using seemless steel,was self welded.(just because i was in college and was making this for my college project so wanted to learn the stuff involved).
4.entire electrical system was designed and developed for motorcycle use.
5. Head lights borrowed of a opel astra.

And i m not that gud at writing things so wont be able to write the whole saga of the project.moreover i m in office so may be some other time i would write the whole story. however i wud be glad to answer your questions and welcome all suggestions

I am interested specifically on why you decided not to do a conventinal left right enginem mount like superbikes and what clutch, Gearbox, starter and final drive system you are using. Most zen/gypsy engine conversions have been this way with RD350 gearbox.

PS: those look like Corsa lights.

well i did mount engine in that conventional manner at the starting of the project,made the entire frame accordingly then,i did use a rd350 gearbox for it initially,and the bike was really a low rider fat cruiser in looks. but soon after i ran into problems with clutch.

standard clutch of bullet 500 would simply be converted to fumes in every 50-60km ride.then i made some major mods to the clutch basket so that it could accommodate 6 friction plates with stiffer springs to transmit that juice. however again i ran into trouble because standard bullet clutch housing was not able to accommodate bigger basket.
so i casted a similar looking basket myself of aluminum.
although it leaked oil all the time,it was good enough for me to have fun on my hand crafted rocket ride.

but guess what, within first 200km the main gearbox shaft had its splines all flattened out,ended up changing up entire gearbox.
and you know RD gear boxes are not that easy to find, so next time i used a bullet 500 tranny ,it too lived with the monster engine for just a couple of weeks,u know i am a little over enthusiastic rider at times twisting my wrist in smaller gears just to have fun.

so finally i decided this entire process needs to be re thought ,team took the decision of ripping the thing and setting the engine with zen's gearbox itself with the same diaphram type clutch.
so we again made engine mounts,again made the entire chassis and this time it was with good enough gearbox. however we mounted a hand operated gear lever which ruined the cruiser appeal.

By this time i passed out of college and got myself a pretty decent engineering job,and as a result could not find time for my sweetheart.

in dec 2008 i decided to change the entire rear end of the bike, to make its wheel base shorter,so that it would have decent cornering and sharp handling to go with that top speed of ...??i dunno how much exactly...never had balls to take it over 145 or may be 150. for i never had that kind of road in my frendly neighbour hood and without a frame number,engine number and paperwork it would be disastorous to take it out on more proper highways like delhi-jaipur or gurgaon.

now the bike runs proper zen diaphram clutch and modified gearbox which i have already explained i guess.

conversion to a fatter rear tubeless radial is under way with shaft drive,because i have always had trouble with chain drive.

will keep posting current pics and updates..

and yes those headlights may be from corsa or astra. They are headlights alright,and its fun to see truck and bus drivers covering there eyes with hand while passing, with there hand to get off that glare,usually like when sun is right in front of windscreen. its awesome as the headlights spread the beam vertically up n down instead of longitudinally because of there mount position

specs.
0-100- 9/10 sec, never actually measured,i was always busy having fun while riding,never cared for timings once the college project got over.

top speed - about 145.may be more.
FE- 18-20kmpl.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Hey the title of your thread itself was such a teaser. The project does not disappoint. Glad to see an Indian college project that is so exciting and unique in thought and execution. I am one of those for whom even an Idiots guide to mechanicals wont do any good. I can definitely suggest on the aesthetics. Change the headlights, go with silver and blue paintjob, and repaint the front wheel mudguard to match the rear.

Overall amazing job dude. Your passion and determination is to be admired

sweet project you made man! And as everybody's suggesting, change the head lamps. They seem to be somewhat of that of the yamaha fazer only stretched vertically. lols. But, nevertheless, it must be a FUN rider.

cheers
bharti22shresth

woo man never heard anything like that when i first read the thread little i thought it must be some funny mod (sorry for calling a funny job) but hats of to you, you had done fantastic job there.

Thanks mate! but buckel up,grand daddy of this bike is already in the making.
last time around i did not have time and money to look after the aesthetic part.
this time its gonna be shaft driven real fat cruiser.hope so!

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.

On the onset hats off to the project.But the front end looks ugly.I am not bothered of that and i woulnt have bothered if it dint have a head light at all,because i was just looking at the engine and the rear tyre,cool one and nice.I would really want to hear more of that portion of the project,
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 1298513)

so finally i decided this entire process needs to be re thought ,team took the decision of ripping the thing and setting the engine with zen's gearbox itself with the same diaphram type clutch.
so we again made engine mounts,again made the entire chassis and this time it was with good enough gearbox. however we mounted a hand operated gear lever which ruined the cruiser appeal.

Thanks for the story. Sounds like you have had quite an interesting journey over the years.
So initially you had a Zen GB with hand shift and now you have a foot shift.

Zen engine has the exhaust on the diff side (back in car) right? because I see the drive chain on the left side (intake side). Why not take the drive back on the diff side itself?

You have still retained the diff that is inside the GB. The drive coming out of the diff has rotation in the front-back axis. Have you set up a 90deg to get rotation in the left-right axis to put a sprocket?
Also is the engine still rubber mounted or bolted to the frame?

i donno why 99% of most indians who are inclined to motorcycles somehow love harley davidson and the concept of cruisers . probably cause of hollywood . Dont go the cruiser way man . The bike u have built is truely awesome and many so called expert tuners who like to boast about their skills on the internet dont have the guts to try out half of what uve done . However im not too happy with ur intention of turning it into a fully blown crusier with shaft drive !!!

why dont u try getting to bike to make an entry into the land speed records for India . A la the World's Fastest Indian - Anthony Hopkins . Seen that movie ? Throw away that cruiser handle bar , plonk on clip ons and rear sets . Uve already got a very long wheelbase which should make the bike very stable . Get 2nd hand superbike cycle parts from scrapyards abroad , like hayabusa front forks with wheels and brakes along with the swing arm and work ur magic in installing them . mod ur engine and better still turbo charge it and use a better exhaust . i think that is the way u should go . this should give u a fair idea .

http://www.bikenut.com.au/blog/uploa...iwi-705313.jpg

bike on the right is what u want to make ur bike or rather what it is rite now .

bike on the left is what i think u should make ur bike , well no that asthetically bad but its still bloody fast ! and thats the worlds fastest indian for u .

ps: whats the top speed uve hit on that suicide machine with toothpick forks ?