Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 22:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL

Now during my last visit to US, I went to Alabama. This is a sleepy part of US compared to many other west and east coast cities. but nevertheless I had to find my way of fun around there. Thats when I realized there was a race track close by and guess what, there was a vintage bike festival happening!! I wouldn't miss it for sure. So there I was equipped with my point and shoot camera. Took tonnes of pix but will upload them gradually as interest in this thread increases. you know what I'm saying.
by the way , there was a race and a bullet diesel raced around the track!!! can you believe that. spotted 3 bullets in that show!!
best of all, there was one in the museum too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3544.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3547.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3548.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3549.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3554.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3556.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3558.jpg  

Old 19th July 2009, 00:57   #2
BHPian

nice pics bro!! got more??
Old 19th July 2009, 01:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

the last cycle with an engine is superb. any more pictures of it??
Old 19th July 2009, 08:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
nice pics bro!! got more??
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the last cycle with an engine is superb. any more pictures of it??
yupp.I've got lotsa pix but I thought nobody found the interest in this thread.I'm hoping to see more responses too. nevertheless,i'm gonna put up more pix later today. keep watching.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
yupp.I've got lotsa pix but I thought nobody found the interest in this thread.I'm hoping to see more responses too. nevertheless,i'm gonna put up more pix later today. keep watching.
mods, not getting the expected response.you may choose the action necessary for this thread. not intending to load up the server with more images and not many viewers. you know what i'm saying.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

You need to be either in motorcycles or in the vintage section depending on the type of pics you have.
Old 21st July 2009, 21:19   #7
BHPian

I just can't imagine the kind of attention goes in maintaining these beauties, I have always watched the American chopper series and it was amazing
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You need to be either in motorcycles or in the vintage section depending on the type of pics you have.
so is there a way you can help me move this thread to the motorbikes section? I guess you are right. I was also going to write up a travelogue along with these pix. Hence I put it up here. Maybe the motorbikes section can get more viewers.
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:44   #9
BHPian

14000rpm, a travelogue will also be good to go through, although the pics are doing the job real nice!!

Keep them coming.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is something different from the rest of the threads in the forum so I guess you would have to explain a bit more about the pics you have taken. For eg the last pic of the bike was amazing but I would like to read a bit more about the bike, so any written material with the pics IMO would be great.

Keep the pics flowing its a great thread.

OT. I was stuck in Mobile, Alabama ship yard for 14 days once, had I known this place was around then, I would have definately visited this place.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of the Vintage bikes.I can spot a Matchless and a BSA among them.
Old 24th July 2009, 22:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Time period-End oct '08.my client wanted me to fly over to his place in Leeds,Alabama in US. This is a quaint town 20 miles away from Birmingham which is one of the bigger cities in Alabama. I've previously been to north
east part of US. That region is huge in terms of car shows. I expected the same enthusiasm down south but alas. this was a dull inactive town with barely any population. I was put off immediately. stayed in a Gujju motel coz my period of stay was just a month. Well, boredom breaking time. I heard a couple of harleys roll in the parking lot outside the room. went out and spoke up to the riders and thats when i realized they were there for the show. What!! ?? a vintage bike show in a quaint town like this? thats when I realized that there was a racetrack and an awesome one at that. And thats Barber motorsports park. This place is a racetrack and a permanent motorsports museum. I couldn't want anymore than that. the entire town is filled with bikes of all kinds and the riders come from all over the area. some from way up north like New York and Pennsylvania!! A drive up to the place is a fight for road space albeit with a lot of sensible riders/drivers.
Every big bike company offered test drives.Ducati did, triumph did and so did kawasaki. But unfortunately , they all insisted on a helmet (sensible) and
insurance endorsing 2 wheelers. I didn't have that on my insurance. damn luck. moved on from the display and swap meet area to the dirt bike section. huge powerful bikes these were. but I didn't hang around for long.coz there was a race on the track. More than the race, i was interested in seeing the vintage bike and cars drive around the track. since the event was a vintage
one, there were ,weirdly , vintage firetrucks too!! they get special attention out there. These trucks , cars and bikes form the museum also rolled out and the felt awesome when i saw a bullet riding out!! it was a diesel bullet at that. a few lotuses too drove out. man these cars were beautiful. This museum has almost all old lotus cars displayed in the museum. I then moved on to the museum. The collection in the museum has over 1200 vintage and modern motorcycles as well as a substantial collection of Lotus and other racecars. The collection is the largest of its kind in the world.
There are approximately 600 of the 1200 motorcycles on display at any given time. These bikes range from 1902 to current-year production. The common street bike is represented, as well as rare one-off Gran Prix race machinery.out of the world.
phew. The pix that'll follow will speak a lot. I guess I'll upload them sequentially.
heres the homepage of barber motorsports park Barber : Home
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3245.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3246.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3284.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3287.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3288.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3326.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3329.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3330.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3331.jpg  

Bike Show at Barber Motorsports park, Birmingham AL-img_3335.jpg  

Old 15th August 2009, 09:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess the wait game is over. More replies or no, later today, I'll post all pix I have from this show. regular viewers , check this thread later in the night.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Yes please post the pics. The first few teaser pics of te displays have got me curious for more. I'm sure one who seriously enjoys classic bikes will truly enjoy going through this thread. Don't worry about mass appeal.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yeah,don't bother about replies or comments.Most people tend to just look at these pics and oogle! So go for it.
I'm begining to see quite an interest in Enfields here in the US. Saw 1 more close to where I work, and I posted a thread from another forum that I'm part of, where a guy in CA saw a Bullet in his gas station. Classics!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks