Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 15:24   #211
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for helping me understand those oil lining with the pics;

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
These are solid tubes. Currently we are experimenting with both solid tubes and braided oil lines, the brass oil fittings in my previous post are for braided lines.
Pls some light on braided oil line. Tks.

These oil lines are for lubing the piston & cooling the cylinder right? Why do they have to be in steel? Is it another legendary for HD or is there any engineering reason behind that?

How do other V-Twins such as Honda Interstate or Fury manage? Any ideas?

Quote:
In-house production was started on a lazy Friday with the Locknut wrench.
Well, you've been learning on HD's engine bolt & nut is fine; but how come you know about the spec of the tools being used? I'm surprised really!!!

Quote:
Time taken 3 days, cost Rs. 2200 (material + labour)...Time taken 1 day, cost Rs. 1500 (material + labour)
From 38K to about 5K...you deserve a great

Quote:
Machined, threaded and blackened all in 1 day.
Sry, couldn't get this part
Old 26th November 2010, 18:16   #212
BHPian

Wow you are better stocked up on tools than a HD service center. If the folks at HD see this thread, I am sure they will want to give you a dealership cum service center.

Everything looks so professional. No signs of Jugaad.
BTW how much will the entire beast turn out to be? Cheaper than a Nightrod?
Old 28th November 2010, 09:50   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pls some light on braided oil line. Tks.

These oil lines are for lubing the piston & cooling the cylinder right? Why do they have to be in steel? Is it another legendary for HD or is there any engineering reason behind that?
The oil lines tunnel engine oil to and back from the engine to lubricate and maintain its temperature. Stock OEM lines on Softail's are solid/stiff, there are options to convert them into braided flexible lines. This way I can use the adapters machined to connect the oil lines. But if you were to ask me, it compromises the looks to an extent. So I'm still toying around with other ideas to keep the stock look.

Quote:
How do other V-Twins such as Honda Interstate or Fury manage? Any ideas?
All engines require oil, some vtwins have internal oil sumps like v-rod etc and some external like the softail, touring, dyna line up. They all do need oil for running.

Quote:
Well, you've been learning on HD's engine bolt & nut is fine; but how come you know about the spec of the tools being used? I'm surprised really!!!
The specs of the tool is defined by the job it needs to do, in our case we have most hardware like nuts that the tool will be applied on. So as long as the tool fits the jobs done.

Quote:
Sry, couldn't get this part
We machined and threaded the rod, pipe, nut on our lathe in 1 day and got it blackened (protective coating against rust) the same evening.
Old 28th November 2010, 16:47   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Wow you are better stocked up on tools than a HD service center. If the folks at HD see this thread, I am sure they will want to give you a dealership cum service center.

Everything looks so professional. No signs of Jugaad.
BTW how much will the entire beast turn out to be? Cheaper than a Nightrod?
As the saying goes "marta kya na karta..." didn't really have a choice, had to do all this tooling without which this project would not have been possible. And yes, No jugaad here. Wouldn't work.
Old 4th December 2010, 20:57   #215
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't help posting here @luky_13; this is exactly what you're trying to do, just that, they're trying to work on the revolution engine, while you're working on twin-cam.

BTW, I'm wondering how you managed to press the gears into the shaft drive; I hope you did using a hydraulic machine. Some insights, if you like to share, on this is appreciated.
Old 5th December 2010, 16:39   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Couldn't help posting here @luky_13; this is exactly what you're trying to do, just that, they're trying to work on the revolution engine, while you're working on twin-cam.
Well, not really Revolution engines have an integrated transmission and clutch all packed in one smartly built powerhouse of an engine.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-rev_cutout.jpg

Where as Twin-Cam's enjoy the legacy of engine and tranny separate, mated using a primary drive and wet-clutch mechanism. These are three independent components can be tuned to user requirements through a wide band of after market parts to suit individual need or desire.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-tc_powertrain1.jpg
luky_13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2010, 17:35   #217
Senior - BHPian

That's a quite information that I didn't know. Tks to have shared the info. So no wonder revolution engines don't have much of after market parts!!!

Is it because of the old engine technology that the older engines are not built in a single integrated unit or any special reason?

Talking about this, I hope the revolution engine doesn't work on the single pin crankshaft right? They should be having a regular dual pin isn't it?

If I'm not asking you too much, can you point out to me of some best location where I could learn on the HD's air cooled engines pls? (Tcam, evo engines)? Tks.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:12   #218
BHPian

Re: Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy

In classic V-twin engines, pistons mounted in a 45° "V". The crankshaft has a single pin, and both pistons are connected to this pin through their connecting rods. This legacy has continued in the revolution which of course is a 60° "V" with a single pin.

For more info you could start here Motorcycle Performance Guide for Harley-Davidson.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:55   #219
BHPian

Re: Mock-up

Quote:
Got the parts a couple of days back... started the mockup to fix mounting points for:
1. Engine - front, top and rear mount
2. Rear suspension - shock mounts
3. Oil tank - mounting angle
4. Transmission - front and rear mounts, alignment of rear wheel pulley
5. Rear Wheel - alignment and offset.
6. Stanchion - rails for struts
7. Centre post - to hold motor and tranny mounts

Some WIP pics attached, car jacks have come quite handy to hold the engine, transmission and other parts. By tomorrow we should have aligned the rear wheel, more later... stay glued

Luky,

The Engine... Is this the same baby that I saw at your home when I was in Bengaluru? Boy! Good Job!

Paco
Old 11th February 2011, 13:08   #220
BHPian

Nope, this is the second one the one that you saw was stock Harley. This one has a JIMS lower end and is 96 cu.in., unbalanced though... Thats where the fun starts.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:31   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, this is the second one the one that you saw was stock Harley. This one has a JIMS lower end and is 96 cu.in., unbalanced though... Thats where the fun starts.

So, what happened to the earlier one? Did you make a bike out of it or is it still gracing your study-room? When are you expecting the FatBoy completed? How are you taking care of the ARAI approvals (is that required), Excise issues and RTO?
Old 11th February 2011, 13:39   #222
Senior - BHPian

Show us some latest pictures! :-) and status of the project.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:08   #223
BANNED

I have had the privilege of riding one of these babies in Bangalore. Words fail in describing the experience.

Bumped into the thread recently. Now I am hooked to the thread! PLEASE Please please post some updates!!

I am sure you have more pressing things to than post a bunch of pictures

The effort involved is stupendious! WAY TO GO !!!
Old 13th February 2011, 11:23   #224
BHPian

Sorry guys was down with Pneumonia and allied problems for more than a month. Just getting my bearings back, will post shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Old 13th February 2011, 12:21   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys was down with Pneumonia and allied problems for more than a month. Just getting my bearings back, will post shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Great build, great ingenuity too. I am tuned in for more!

Most Viewed