Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 12:45   #271
BHPian

Re: Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy

After all the good news, some bad ones...
  • After firing it half a dozen times the starter motor was spinning but not engaging the primary drive at all
  • The battery wasn't charging, niether at idle not at higher rpm's
  • Oil leak from 3 places
  • While running the bike was misfiring badly (through the exhaust)
  • Realized that the oil tank was too close to the starter motor +ve connection screw. Dangerous!
  • Depressing the Clutch lever was a herculean task (too hard)

More after some in-depth analysis.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:14   #272
BANNED

Starter motors solenoid switch must be not working.
Battery not charging means either rectifier is not working or loose connection, check the voltage at charging terminals.
Oil leak is OK not a big issue happens with most of the builds, I use araldite with packing kit to make it 100% leak proof.
Misfiring or detonating continuously?, happens with high compression bikes with Indian low octane fuels, else your ignition timing is out, don't ride the bike till you sort out this issue, detonation can make a hole in pistons.
Clutch is cable operated or Hydraulic ones, my bad as never had Harley so just asking as with Hydraulic system it should work as it should be.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 21:25   #273
BHPian

@Ajaybiz, thanks for the tips.
  1. The original starter had gone kaput (was a used one off eBay). Solenoid was fine motor was spinning, but the bearings gave up. One tooth on the internal gear had broken, that did all the damage.

Solution: I had a spare starter in stock, and we were quick to get our hands dirty again. It actually created a lot of mess as we had to drain out the engine oil, but the oil lines kept dripping ... slowly

Dismantled again
    Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0109.jpg
    A new sparkling starter goes in
    Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0113.jpg
  2. Took this opportunity to adjust the sagging oil tank and get its coordinates right this time.
  3. Fixed all the oil leaks, they were minor and probably because I did not torque the drain plugs to spec.
  4. Fine tuned the clutch, much better now
  5. Battery wasn't charging as the pins of the deutsch connector from alternator to voltage regulator had not seated properly. Removed and fixed properly and wallah the battery started to charge.
  6. Tuned the carb, it was probably running a bit to lean. Misfiring disappered.
All problems sorted out and I'm a happy man. Will fight with the front and rear disc brake calipers tomorrow.
luky_13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 19:47   #274
BHPian

With most niggling issues at bay it was time for the Fatboy to get its final piece of jewellery: the Primary drive cover. Other small parts were installed: Shifter, Foot pegs and a few more. A bit of adjustment on the clutch adjuster screw and...
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0133.jpg

... Merry christmas!
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0146.jpg
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0152.jpg
luky_13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 20:04   #275
BHPian

Brakes

The last piece of the puzzle: Brakes. Couldn't rely on the old brake pads, these calipers were bought around 4 years back. Time to change them ( i guess the process remains the same on most disc calipers)

Loosen the torx screw
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0447.jpg

Position a flat screw driver between the pads to relax the caliper pistons while loosening up
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0448.jpg

Opened
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0449.jpg

The Treatment
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0451.jpg

Done and immediately afterwards bled the brakes with some fresh DOT4 brake fluid.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0453.jpg
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 21:40   #276
BHPian

A journey has started!

Some say a Harley is never complete, I can say that my build has reached a landmark. Although far from over, now when I reflect back I realize this build has taught me a lot of things. It taught me how to focus and say 'No' to umpteen other distractions, it taught me to be patient, it taught me not to believe someone who said 'this can't be done', it taught me how to harbor positive spirits. It has been amazing to share, receive feedback, appreciation and applause. Thank you.

Well coming back to her: She runs just fine, looks beautiful and as of now the speedo just reads 65 Km. Some things that I intend doing over time:

1. Dual carb setup
2. Oil cooler
3. Chrome custom cut wheels
4. LED lamps
5. King-Kong-Klutch
6. 6 speed baker tranny
7. 240 rear wheel
8. Vance & Hines duals
9. Custom foot pegs
10.Performance machine brake calipers
11.Floating disc's

... the list just goes on and on and is constantly variable, meanwhile one more shot.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc_0234.jpg
luky_13 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 21:46   #277
BHPian

Check Motherwell solo rack so you can fabricate it,you wont scratch or knick your rear fender.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:29   #278
BANNED

Just one word, Beautiful.
Not sure about other changes but keep dual carb and oil cooler first in your list.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:32   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Check Motherwell solo rack so you can fabricate it,you wont scratch or knick your rear fender.
Shrini, we are in the process of fabricating a rear seat owing to pressure from 'home'. That should take care of the rear fender.
Old 30th December 2011, 03:13   #280
BHPian

great work!!! good to see that your work of months has finally paid off!! she looks hot!!! please post some on road pics as well!!
Old 30th December 2011, 15:15   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Shrini, we are in the process of fabricating a rear seat owing to pressure from 'home'. That should take care of the rear fender.

Amazing work man. I have a query. Are you planning to get her registered and if yes then how??? If no then where are you gonna ride her???
Old 4th January 2012, 05:32   #282
BHPian

thats absolutely inspiring, well done mate.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:19   #283
BHPian

Re: A journey has started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Some say a Harley is never complete, I can say that my build has reached a landmark. Although far from over, now when I reflect back I realize this build has taught me a lot of things. It taught me how to focus and say 'No' to umpteen other distractions, it taught me to be patient, it taught me not to believe someone who said 'this can't be done', it taught me how to harbor positive spirits. It has been amazing to share, receive feedback, appreciation and applause. Thank you.
Well said, it was an inspiring thread. Loved reading every single post wishing you all the best. Waiting for more road pics and reviews, would be awesome to see this beauty on road.
So it is a 2012 custom made HD softail ..Happy new year mate!
Old 5th January 2012, 14:53   #284
BHPian

Hats off to your perseverance, you have some how made me even more proud to be an Indian, by making an American piece of engineering marvel fro scratch in india. If only we have more of you guys who have more "patience than a Buddhist monk" running our country, waiting for your road tests. , Bravo my friend Bravo.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:35   #285
BHPian

Seriously, a great hard work and it paid off. The design outcome is wonderful. Eager to see the on road experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks