Team-BHP - Importing a superbike from USA to India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Importing a superbike from USA to India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/63266-importing-superbike-usa-india.html)

Hi guys, I made a thread few months back about importing my Corvette from USA to India. I found out through this forum that it is impossible to import a LHD car which has made me extremely sad but I had to accept reality. I am leaving California and heading back to Chennai in a few months. My plan is to sell my Corvette and buy a SBK here and bring it back. From what I have read it is impossible to import a 600 CC bike.I would like to bring back a GSXR 1000 / CBR 1000 RR.. I havent decided which one yet. I know that used bikes have an import duty of 144% ? and new bikes are 88%.. My question is would it be smart to bring the bike from America or just buy one "legally" in India?

Just remember even LHD bikes are not allowed to be imported ;) I always wanted to crack that joke, this was a perfect opportunity ;)

I think you need to own the bike for atleast 1 year before you can bring it on TR.

You would be better off buying a bike in India.There are quite a few legitimate bikes around,and getting something like that would save a lot of time, money & effort.

Eventually its going to cost you the same or maybe a little more to bring one here legally. Why take that route when its lesser of a headache buying it from here?

You need to own a bike for a year in the US before you bring it down or you will have to pay a fine for that as well.

Brand new bikes (unregistered) command lesser duties. I suggest you pick up a bike there (something exotic which isnt available here) and bring it down. Pay the duties and stuff and get it cleared out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw (Post 1424451)
Brand new bikes (unregistered) command lesser duties. I suggest you pick up a bike there (something exotic which isnt available here) and bring it down. Pay the duties and stuff and get it cleared out.

Okay, I have another question. My brother lives in USA and what if he buys a bike and brings it back on a TR and transfers it to my name? That way I can bring back a ducati 848 without paying the full import tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fb1 (Post 1423881)
From what I have read it is impossible to import a 600 CC bike.

If you are bringing down a bike on Transfer of Residence, then you can bring down a 600 cc, the 800+ cc rule is a hurdle for a direct import.
And, you need to own a vehicle in your name for a minimum period of one year before you bring it down. Further, you cannot transfer it to another name for a period of two years from the date of bringing it down.

manson.

Few threads that might interest you :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...torcycles.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ing-bikes.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/everyt...ike-india.html

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by fb1 (Post 1424559)
Okay, I have another question. My brother lives in USA and what if he buys a bike and brings it back on a TR and transfers it to my name? That way I can bring back a ducati 848 without paying the full import tax.

You will have to pay import duties no matter which way you bring it.

Hi everyone. I am interested in buying a Ducati 1198 or a 1198 SP. I live in United Kingdom under a student VISA and plan on living here for atleast 2 more years. My question to you all is, Can i take my bike back to India after 2 years from now, and even if i could then what is the procedure and tax rates for the bike ??? Any suggestions/advices in this regard are greatly appreciated. Thankyou and Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raj1008 (Post 1423885)
Just remember even LHD bikes are not allowed to be imported ;) I always wanted to crack that joke, this was a perfect opportunity ;).

Seriously you didn't crack a joke. Part of it is true. My dad converted his BMW from LHD to RHD way back in the late sixties just so that the bike could be registered with the RTO. However oldtimers will recall seeing many BMW's with the sidecar on the right registered with the RTO. Some may still exist in Parsi colony even today. Some were converted some were not. One was even smuggeld out of our country (like many other Vintage bikes and cars) to Australia. It was changed back to a LHD and is now in the Australian War Museum in Canberra. I even have the photos of before and after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fb1 (Post 1424559)

It is illegal & against the law to bring a bike on ToR and sell it to someone.
A person bringing the bike on ToR has to have under the possession for 2/3 yrs before selling/transferring to another person...

If you are hell bent on bringing a bike from USA,(as I'm bringing my harley on a ToR) my suggestion is to the bike own for more than a year.

If you think the time is limited and you are returning back within a year then my suggestion would be that you put a small down payment for a SBK at a dealership and tell them exactly your plan and you'll go to India and you'll purchase through legal channel as an import.In this way the hold the bike of your dreams and the bike will also not be registered.
Ask the dealership for intl shipment & keep the money for that. In this way you will directly import a bike which is totally unregistered from where you buy and this is legally allowed by law(Do remember if u take this route you cannot import a 600cc it has to be more than that)

Any questions pop me a PM

Hello people,

I have been in the US 4 years now and i happen to own a bmw & a ducati in the US. I am returning back to India and i want to transfer my vehicles to India. From what i have heard there is no way one can transfer a LHD car to India(correct me if wrong). But i believe i can transfer my bike as TR and eliminate the duties that i'd have to pay if i was importing it. I need help with the procedure. I know there are several post before this one but i did not seem to find a clear set of procedure i need to follow. I need advise on what to do and what not to do.
Is it true that TR eliminates the import duties?

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike89 (Post 2245923)
Hello people,

I have been in the US 4 years now and i happen to own a bmw & a ducati in the US. I am returning back to India and i want to transfer my vehicles to India. From what i have heard there is no way one can transfer a LHD car to India(correct me if wrong). But i believe i can transfer my bike as TR and eliminate the duties that i'd have to pay if i was importing it. I need help with the procedure. I know there are several post before this one but i did not seem to find a clear set of procedure i need to follow. I need advise on what to do and what not to do.
Is it true that TR eliminates the import duties?

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks you

Mikey PM me with all your queries and I'll reply you as I've done exhaustive work on the ToR

@Shrini78 - it would really help all expat TBHP members if you can share what you have learnt with all of us.