Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 09:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chrome/Metal Parts: Sad but True

Shrini I'm sorry I wasn't too clear in the msg. By 'american chrome' I meant the chrome on your HD. I'm sure the process is much better compared to whats done here. I've seen old cars and they had kinda hard chrome on their bumpers. That lasts and lats, hence the term. I didn't mean it as a product but it sounded that way. Truly sorry
Anyway please don't use any powders available at any petrol pumps here. If you're using anything like steel wool or bronze woll or copper scrub and you buy it locally, try it on an indian chrome part to check if it leaves scratches.
I would have suggested a kitchen surface cleaner life CIF cream. But then again I'm not sure if it will leave a scratch on the chrome.
Good thing is that it's only surface rust. maybe it's so slight that it wont leave a mark. Maybe an old towel and some kerosene would takee it off, and then some oil over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I suggest that you avoid any powders to remove the rust.
Almost all of them contain abrasives which are harder than chrome so their use will grind away the remaining chrome on the surface.
Steel wool (wire wool), bronze wool or a copper wool scrub pad are all softer than chrome so their use will not remove the remaining chrome when you scrub it with these..

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 5th November 2011 at 09:23.
Old 5th November 2011, 10:17   #32
BHPian

thanks sunnyBoi
Will get Mothers & have used it in the past, so no second thoughts on it
Old 5th November 2011, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine found a near perfect solution to this problem here in Kolkata..

He had all the the chrome parts cleaned, polished and then sprayed with 2 coats of clearcoat at a professional body shop. The clearcoat is nearly invisible and protects the chrome from the elements...
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 20:09   #34
BHPian

Re: Ridin a Harley in India

can someone pls send me the contact of automall.in, I tried hookin upto their wepbage it is not opening...
Old 14th November 2011, 22:20   #35
BHPian

Re: Ridin a Harley in India

here is the no 9481243661 automall shyam
Dreamy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed