Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 13:48   #1
BHPian

My 2008 Honda Varadero XL1000VA

This 1000cc dual-purpose bike is the ultimate touring bike for Indian conditions - tough as nails and eats up any terrain you throw at her! I have made a number of after-market add-ons - such as:
* Hyperpro suspension lowering kit
* Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
* Akrapovic exhausts
* KN filter
* Givi Top Box and Panniers
* Gel Backrest for topBox
* SW Motech Crashguard
* LED brake and signal lighting
* SW Motech charging socket (for charging cell phones or attaching compressor for tyre inflation)
* Barkbusters hand-protectors
Attached Thumbnails
My 2008 Honda Varadero XL1000VA-grmahabsvararesized.jpg  

Varaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 14:56   #2
BHPian

Your'e Touring guy right? Cool Bike.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:01   #3
BHPian

Never seen this in India before. Nice ride. But I am sure there are a number of people who think of it as a modified karizma.
So where all has this beast taken you? And how has the ownership been like till date??
Old 6th March 2010, 19:01   #4
BHPian

(Akshay, you would not be Arvind Mahajan's son, now, would you? Just wondered.) No one who has see it has mistaken it for a modified Indian bike - because it is HUGE... even the tank is 25 litres capacity. I have taken the bike to Mahabaleshwar (several times), Chiplun, Guhauarh, Veldoor... and on weekends to Lonavla, Karjat, Karnala etc.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great bike there Varaman.Perfect for riding.Comfortable stance and powerful, reliable engine.

It is infact a boon if people think its a modified karizma or an indian bike.people on the roads and in the parking trouble you less then and one can be at peace and concentrate in the riding and not at the nincompoop tailing you and risking crashing into you.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome , this is what separates tourers vs posers .

Awesome , its a wonderful mile muncher .You have a good taste .Please post some travelogues .
Old 7th March 2010, 04:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Are you the one that went to Johnny a few days back?
Old 7th March 2010, 08:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Are you the one that went to Johnny a few days back?
Yup, Johny is my bike-needs messiah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Welcome , this is what separates tourers vs posers .

Awesome , its a wonderful mile muncher .You have a good taste .Please post some travelogues .
I am not a great one for posting travelogues But I will try...
I have been riding Varaderos since 2004. Incidentally, there are only 4 Honda Varadero XL1000VAs in India (all are in Mumbai)... of these, two have been owned by me and the others are with buddies. It is a truly awe-inspiring bike and invokes fierce loyalty.

Last edited by Dippy : 17th March 2010 at 23:17. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 8th March 2010, 00:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice, beautiful bike Varaman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varaman View Post
I am not a great one for posting travelogues But I will try...
I have been riding Varaderos since 2004. Incidentally, there are only 4 Honda Varadero XL1000VAs in India (all are in Mumbai)... of these, two have been owned by me and the others are with buddies. It is a truly awe-inspiring bike and invokes fierce loyalty.
So you probably know the Shoei armoured Red Varadero owner too I'm guessing?
And, were you by any chance parked at Carters earlier today, about 11ish in the morning?

manson.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Nice, beautiful bike Varaman.

So you probably know the Shoei armoured Red Varadero owner too I'm guessing?
And, were you by any chance parked at Carters earlier today, about 11ish in the morning?

manson.
Yup, his name is GV (G Venkatraman) and that is a 2000 Varadero that I had sold to him S,all world, ain't it? To answer your second question, nope that wasn't me... I live right atop the Golf Course in Chembur and I find the traffic too heavy to come down to Carter Road... except when I need to go to Johny's for the Vara
Old 9th March 2010, 17:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup, his name is GV (G Venkatraman) and that is a 2000 Varadero that I had sold to him S,all world, ain't it? To answer your second question, nope that wasn't me... I live right atop the Golf Course in Chembur and I find the traffic too heavy to come down to Carter Road... except when I need to go to Johny's for the Vara
Ok, then there's atleast one more bike similar to yours around here. Passed it from the opposite side when I had taken the Fireblade for a Sunday morning 'how you doin' spin.
A bunch of us from the forum ride out once in a couple of Sundays, you should probably join us sometime. There are a couple of older guys too who are pretty stuck to their F650s just like you're about your Varadero.

manson.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great practical Bike to own if you like touring

Could you share the destinations & distances that you have traveled with this beauty?
Old 9th March 2010, 18:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
(Akshay, you would not be Arvind Mahajan's son, now, would you? Just wondered.)
Nope.

Quote:
I have been riding Varaderos since 2004. Incidentally, there are only 4 Honda Varadero XL1000VAs in India (all are in Mumbai)... of these, two have been owned by me and the others are with buddies.
That's why I haven't seen any up here.

One question? What is so special about this bike that you bought it for the second time? And only a bunch of guys own it in the entire country? Why not a HD or a Triumph or a Golgwing?
Old 9th March 2010, 18:10   #14
BHPian

Beautiful bike there buddy. Don't know why, I'm keen on hearing the exhaust note on this baby. Can you do the needful please?
Old 10th March 2010, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Beautiful bike there buddy. Don't know why, I'm keen on hearing the exhaust note on this baby. Can you do the needful please?
Hey Cartman! Here is a link to listen to the exhaust note of my Varadero - it has been posted by a fellow Vara owner in Europe. My bike sounds about 50% better than this, when you actually hear it "live".

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Nope.

That's why I haven't seen any up here.

One question? What is so special about this bike that you bought it for the second time? And only a bunch of guys own it in the entire country? Why not a HD or a Triumph or a Golgwing?
The problem with cruisers like the HD, Goldwing or the Intruder is that they are fine for cruising along beautifully tarred roads (like they have in Europa and US)... in India, these bikes face serious limitations due to ridiculously high speed-breakers (thanks to the low ground clearance) and really bad roads. Secondly, the rear shocks of these cruisers are not designed to absorb the punishment on Indian roads... the rider's spine ends up compensating for the shocks and this makes for poor riding enjoyment. The Varadero has excellent telescopic front shocks (almost like a dirt bike) and a 40 setting adjustable rear monoshock with a rebound damper adjuster as well Lastly, manouverability - the Vara is extremely nimble and easy to handle, unlike the cruisers which behave like errant buffaloes. Hope this answers your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thats a great practical Bike to own if you like touring

Could you share the destinations & distances that you have traveled with this beauty?
The maximum time that I have ridden the Vara in a single day is for 11 hours straight, to Mahabaleshwar and back to Mumbai... and the most remarkable thing is that I did not even experience numb-butt or a weary back at the end of the day. I have also taken her to Chiplun, Guhagarh, Alibag, Karnala, Veldoor, Lonavla (maybe 25 times) etc. The maximum distance covered in a day is around 600 kms, largely limited by traffic and road conditions.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th March 2010 at 20:54. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks