Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:36   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Will take atleast a decade I guess; HD doesn't have a factory outside US as of now; this means, not even in China;
You ain't right on this one pal, HD has a manf unit setup in THAI after USA.
dont know what they do there, but they have a factory presence there
Old 4th April 2010, 05:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
You ain't right on this one pal, HD has a manf unit setup in THAI after USA.
dont know what they do there, but they have a factory presence there
Oh!!! is it? This is a news to me. I know HD outsource leather jackets from China & Singapore; Thai is a facility that don't know. Like Audi still being imported, wish HD also imports their motorcycle for a long time. By the time they open a factory in India, let the good old infrastructure improve a lot.

Anyway, I heard that HD is opening showrooms by June instead of April. Could somebody confirm this?

Last edited by aargee : 4th April 2010 at 05:27.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:38   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Direct access to top guys and the top guys directly listening to customers is the way to go and this is what harley seems to be doing
And the volumes will be limited too. I expect this new breed of dealership owners to have a more "hands-on" approach, especially in the area of customer interaction.

Quote:
This is very different from HONDA here ,who does not even care to register there own superbikes and leave the dirty or PIA work to be sorted out by customer and dealer .
Could you elaborate on this?

Quote:
Just one suggestion to Harley , built them here and offer cheap superbikes . .
They won't. A premium price is just one of the factors that go into making a "premium brand".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
from all the above comments it sounds like harley and its dealers are not in it for the money but for the passion and culture. very generous of them to take this approach if thats the case.
Fat chance. Profits are key to any sustainable business. The business model has got to be solid, and the venture profitable to dealers.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:00   #19
BHPian

Any of these dealerships hiring interns/staff still? :P

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 5th April 2010 at 12:03.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:31   #20
BHPian

got a call from HD mumbai no. , they invited me to the harley ride in Delhi on May1, 2 they said the bike can be booked there and will be delivered in a month or two. Hope to checkout the monsters.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fat chance. Profits are key to any sustainable business. The business model has got to be solid, and the venture profitable to dealers.
and thats exactly my opinion too. perhaps the sarcasm was not evident enough in my post.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
got a call from HD mumbai no. , they invited me to the harley ride in Delhi on May1, 2 they said the bike can be booked there and will be delivered in a month or two. Hope to checkout the monsters.
Shan, one question, when the dealership will be open in Mumbai, why do they want to invite you to Delhi? Isn't Bangalore nearer to Mumbai than Delhi, so why didn't they invite you to Bangalore?
Old 5th April 2010, 14:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Is it true one has to buy a whole range of accessories along with the bike to feel "in" the fraternity? Such as Harley jackets,boots,gloves, helmets and even underwear?
Old 5th April 2010, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is it true one has to buy a whole range of accessories along with the bike to feel "in" the fraternity? Such as Harley jackets,boots,gloves, helmets and even underwear?
. No Sir, its upto the individual that what he/she needs to buy. Its upto the individual to buy only the motorcycle or in the combinations of motorcycle, customization, clothing & gears.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:12   #25
BANNED

I, for one, think that Harley is going to do very well in India, and they need it more than ever with dwindling sales elsewhere. I believe there are enough people in India who understand Harley and what its about, rather than see it as just another bike. Even though they hope to sell decent numbers to make it worth the effort, the merchandising like t-shirts and stuff alone should be profitable.

Just my humble opinions on a few earlier posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

This is very different from HONDA here ,who does not even care to register there own superbikes and leave the dirty or PIA work to be sorted out by customer and dealer .
Dunno where you get your info from. Honda is very committed to their superbikes and have already set up 2 Wing worlds with 2 wheeler dyno and all required and more service equipment. If you are in Mumbai, take the time to visit the friendly folks at Saki Naka. Which other manufacturer has a dyno here in India? Really, I dont know. Moreover, they are using their existing dealer network to enable non-metro buyers to buy superbikes. They provide all necessary paperwork including customs clearance papers required to register the bike. It was just the odd cases in MH mostly because of adamant RTO officials that they had problems. I had mine registered in a day with no issues at all. Just because they dont have "Stars" selling their wares, doesnt mean they are not doing a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
from all the above comments it sounds like harley and its dealers are not in it for the money but for the passion and culture. very generous of them to take this approach if thats the case.

and if thats the case than i am sure that they wouldnt mind giving away their bikes at 50% discount too.
Harley really wants to sell the culture and passion, and knows that it is not cheap to get inducted to it, especially with 80% taxes. They spent almost 2 years trying to convince Indian govt to reduce taxes to 60% at least. But our govt, in its infinite wisdom, and "to protect the Indian domestic industry" insisted on 80%. So, maybe you should ask the govt. for that discount, because Harley sure as hell will give it to you

Quote:
Its your option whether to go the full HOG or not. But I doubt that less than 10% of all Harleys sold roll out of dealership in stock trim. Most people accessorize their bikes, and they have a dedicated accessories catalog that no other manufacturer can even compare with. Most other bikes, once bought, the only time you go back to dealership is for the service. Whereas, any Harley dealership around the world, you walk in and are bound to find a few owners there looking for something to add to the bike. Harley doesn't just sell you a bike, it offers you an opportunity to participate in a lifestyle.

Cheers.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Shan, one question, when the dealership will be open in Mumbai, why do they want to invite you to Delhi? Isn't Bangalore nearer to Mumbai than Delhi, so why didn't they invite you to Bangalore?
they invited me to delhi, because i am from Dehradun , its just 5 hrs ride for me
Old 6th April 2010, 10:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
they invited me to delhi, because i am from Dehradun , its just 5 hrs ride for me
I was under the impression that Bangalore was nearer or the best thing WHY not in Mumbai itself when you've the dealership over there? Is the test drive confirmed? Anyway, don't forget to post your experiences here. Thanks.

Last edited by aargee : 6th April 2010 at 10:42.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Its your option whether to go the full HOG or not. But I doubt that less than 10% of all Harleys sold roll out of dealership in stock trim. Most people accessorize their bikes, and they have a dedicated accessories catalog that no other manufacturer can even compare with. Most other bikes, once bought, the only time you go back to dealership is for the service. Whereas, any Harley dealership around the world, you walk in and are bound to find a few owners there looking for something to add to the bike. Harley doesn't just sell you a bike, it offers you an opportunity to participate in a lifestyle.

Cheers.
I think Harley is unique that way. But somehow I can't help drawing parallels with the barbie doll though!
Old 6th April 2010, 11:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Harley is unique that way. But somehow I can't help drawing parallels with the barbie doll though!
You're right Sir; change is the way of life; if barbie is for a kid, HD is for grown up kid
Old 6th April 2010, 12:33   #30
BANNED

Quote:
If passion for motorcycles can be compared to barbie dolls in an automotive forum, I guess all of us are living in a doll house. I'll stick with my Transformers, though, thank you very much.

Think from this perspective: You can have a 20 year old Harley look like it rolled out of the showroom yesterday thanks to their parts and accessories availability. I already have a Harley, yet I am excited about the fact that they are setting shop in India so that I can keep mine shiny and new for as long as I want. There are several others like me in India. Some on this forum as well.

I really want that new cool LED fuel guage to go with my Ballerina Barbie, oops, my Nightster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks