Team-BHP - Harley Davidson appoints dealers across India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson appoints dealers across India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/78623-harley-davidson-appoints-dealers-across-india.html)

Legendary motorcycle maker Harley Davidson has appointed dealers for its range of bikes, parts, accessories, and apparel across 5 cities across India: Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Mumbai Hyderabad and New Delhi.

Link to Rehaan's report on the Harley Davidson Boot Camp held in Mumbai in November last year : The Harley Davidson Boot Camp Experience Mumbai

Attached with this post is a dealer profile

From the official Press Release:

Quote:

Harley-Davidson India appoints pan-India
dealer network

Harley-Davidson names dealers in Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Mumbai and New Delhi

GURGAON, MARCH 31, 2010: Harley-Davidson India today announced the appointment of its first five dealers across India in Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Mumbai and New Delhi. Since beginning the search in September 2009, the company had received a tremendous response from prospective dealer candidates with over 100 applications received, before making final selections.

“Today, I’m delighted and proud to welcome on-board the first dealers in India to the Harley-Davidson family. Each owner brings distinct talents and a shared passion for delivering extraordinary customer experiences. Our aim is to create a strong network that will provide our customers a world-class Harley-Davidson ownership experience, and we are off to a great start,” said Anoop Prakash, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson India.

The dealers appointed will be the sole retailers for Harley-Davidson motorcycles, genuine parts and accessories, and Motorclothes apparel and will operate authorized service centers across the five cities in India. The five new dealerships are as follows:

• Tusker Harley-Davidson in Bengaluru, led by Srinivas Reddy
• Himalayan Harley-Davidson in Chandigarh, led by Siddharth Garg
• Banjara Harley-Davidson in Hyderabad, led by K Jairam
• Seven Islands Harley-Davidson in Mumbai, led by Arjun Bafna
• Capital Harley-Davidson in New Delhi, led by Atul Aggarwal

The Harley-Davidson India dealerships are being designed to the company's global standards and will reflect the essence of the brand, offering customers the opportunity to experience what riders across the world have experienced for over a century.

Harley-Davidson India commenced operations in August 2009, and will offer 12 models from their 2010 line-up, with bookings beginning on April 20, 2010, in each city.

I must comment, that's the coolest "non-dealer types" dealer list I've seen till date. Nearly all brands till date haven't really cared about how passionate their potential dealer is. Only things that count : Money, Property & Experience.

Harley, on the other hand, has brought on board a group of biking enthusiasts as its dealers! This sure is a company that thinks different. I mean, the dealer list has 4 dudes who seem to be barely into their thirties, while all are die-hard bikers!! Definitely a first for India.

Here's hoping that the enthusiast entrepreneurs are (logically) able to keep their customers happier.

Oh ! Why Pune is not in the list ??? I hope they will spread their network to all over India in next some months or years.

This news was already posted yesterday by Ajmat here on.

Those dealership guys look pretty young...nice to see some young guns riding high
On the other hand, when I read the harley.pdf for dealer interest initially it told to show almost 24crs in physical assett and 2-4crs available immdly in cash.
I was very interested in applying for a dealership but looking at those money, it was beyond my reach and I'm happy to be a H.O.G member and dreaming to be a dealer someday

Now this keeps me wondering are these guys self made millionaires or inherited ones...

Anyhow I hope to receive the same HD quality service from these 5 dealers that I received in Dallas,TX...Bellevue,WA...Houston,TX...Eagle,PA... Newark,DE...

harley dealers in india are doing it for the name and not for the money from this business i feel. they have other sources of income and not at all dependent on this dealership for funds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrini78 (Post 1816266)
Anyhow I hope to receive the same HD quality service from these 5 dealers that I received in Dallas,TX...Bellevue,WA...Houston,TX...Eagle,PA... Newark,DE...

You will, because, all the motorcycles are manufactured only at the 5 factories in North America & the motorcycles that you get here are CBU's; I've not come across any news that HD will start their own plant here in Chennai (atleast I've not seen that news in TBHP :D). So, hopefully, before HD start manufacturing in India you've time to buy the motorcycle.

Awesome dealer profile i must say. A first in India. reading the profiles pf these guys, one feels like meeting up and chatting with them. They dont seem the types who will sit in the further air-conditioned comfort of their glass cabins and not set out to meet anyone. The look the type who would assist you to make a choice of your Harley by explaining the features themselves. A bunch of passionate guys. Way to go Harley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamback (Post 1815140)
Oh ! Why Pune is not in the list ???

Because Pune is only 180 kms away from Bombay. Niche brands will always have presence in major cities only, and expect that same showroom to cover neighbouring cities & towns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrini78 (Post 1816266)
On the other hand, when I read the harley.pdf for dealer interest initially it told to show almost 24crs in physical assett and 2-4crs available immdly in cash.

I doubt any of these dudes are going to spend 24 cr. Far from it. Harley doesn't need fancy 30,000 sq. ft. properties (as say, a Toyota outlet does). I'd guesstimate 3,000 sq. ft. tops, or smaller, plus the cost of inventory (i.e. bikes to sell). 2 - 4 cr sounds more like it (based on renting property, and not buying it outright).

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 1817120)
reading the profiles pf these guys, one feels like meeting up and chatting with them. They dont seem the types who will sit in the further air-conditioned comfort of their glass cabins and not set out to meet anyone. The look the type who would assist you to make a choice of your Harley by explaining the features themselves. A bunch of passionate guys. Way to go Harley.

Well said, truly a different approach. But then, Harleys always been about the "culture".

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamback (Post 1815140)
Oh ! Why Pune is not in the list ??? I hope they will spread their network to all over India in next some months or years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1818268)
Because Pune is only 180 kms away from Bombay. Niche brands will always have presence in major cities only, and expect that same showroom to cover neighbouring cities & towns.

Like wise, there's no dealership in Chennai as of now which is just 350 Kms away from Bangalore.

anyone knows where the bbay dealership is coming up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 1818807)
anyone knows where the bbay dealership is coming up?

What does bbay stand for?

Direct access to top guys and the top guys directly listening to customers is the way to go and this is what harley seems to be doing :D . I like it if it goes this way. Even a small shout or dissatisfaction by customer should be felt at at-most urgency and importance .I think the customer is truly a king here . Lets c .

This is very different from HONDA here ,who does not even care to register there own superbikes and leave the dirty or PIA work to be sorted out by customer and dealer .

Just one suggestion to Harley , built them here and offer cheap superbikes .:D .

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 1818819)
Direct access to top guys and the top guys directly listening to customers is the way to go and this is what harley seems to be doing :D .

How is this being done or planned?

Quote:

I like it if it goes this way. Even a small shout or dissatisfaction by customer should be felt at at-most urgency and importance .I think the customer is truly a king here . Lets c .

I would say YES to an extent because HD is targetting very high profile customers who have very deep pockets; obviously people with deep pockets are people with strong hold too. But one thing really scares me is - Skoda India

Quote:

This is very different from HONDA here ,who does not even care to register there own superbikes and leave the dirty or PIA work to be sorted out by customer and dealer .

Well, Honda targets a different set of customers except for their CBR's

Quote:

Just one suggestion to Harley , built them here and offer cheap superbikes .:D .

Will take atleast a decade I guess; HD doesn't have a factory outside US as of now; this means, not even in China; if they open in India, then its really a big news & bold move. Even in US, not many people can afford HD as their entry level motorcycles are priced for an used car price.

from all the above comments it sounds like harley and its dealers are not in it for the money but for the passion and culture. very generous of them to take this approach if thats the case.

and if thats the case than i am sure that they wouldnt mind giving away their bikes at 50% discount too.