Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:02   #61
BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai

A 2008 article from rediff, "Triumph's debut in India", not sure what were they waiting for since -
Triumph ready for India ride

maxabout.com speculates triumph to be expected by the end of 2011.
Triumph India, Triumph Bikes India, New Bikes By Triumph, Triumph Dealers, Insurance - MaxAbout.com

Another link, where Bonneville is speculated @ 3.46L -
Triumph Bonneville Base Price - Buy Triumph Bonneville Base Price in India, Best Prices n Review

Hope the price is true :-)
Old 24th May 2011, 12:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

How is the sound of this?

You said 360 deg firing. That means firing sound every second rev.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th May 2011 at 12:57.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How is the sound of this?

You said 360 deg firing. That means firing sound every second rev.
The pistons go up and down together, but are on opposite strokes. While one is on the compression stroke the other is on the exhaust stroke.

The sound you can hear at the link below (not mine but almost identical stock silencers)

With the Euro 3 spec standard pipes with cat converters, the sound is not the most exiting. You pull out the baffels and then you get a more distinct crack (with slightly better thrust). But I am for stock always.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 21:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

New Ridding Mate for Bonieville

Hi Guys!

Thought you would like to see the pictures of a Triumph Thruxton a ridding mate picked up. The bike was picked up in a slightly damaged condition from USA and restored in UAE. Its 2009 model

Took it out on a test ride last Friday. Excellent Bike and was doing 180+ kph without sweat (tandem tested with my bike's speedo as the Thruxton speedo is still not installed).

Bit more works to be completed on it

Hope you like it

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-image0194.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-image0198.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-image0196a.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 12th June 2011 at 21:58.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:55   #65
BHPian

Ram- Thats a really sweet looking Thruxton. Compliments to your riding mate for a great job on it.

Your this post and the breaking news on Triumph launch plans in India expected tomorrow, I am very excited about getting my hands on one of best VFM beauties on the planet today.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Ram- Thats a really sweet looking Thruxton. Compliments to your riding mate for a great job on it.

Your this post and the breaking news on Triumph launch plans in India expected tomorrow, I am very excited about getting my hands on one of best VFM beauties on the planet today.
Hey Haroon,

I did not see the news about Triumph launch. Where did you see it?

Regards

Ram
Old 13th June 2011, 22:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hey Haroon,

Regards
Ram
I was referring to this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2387353
Old 18th July 2011, 16:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Mr Nair,
So this is your steed in Dubai. You decided on bringing it back to India when you return back for good?
Old 30th November 2011, 11:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hey Haroon,

Regards

Ram
The bonneville has now been confirmed for India and i am sure lots of us would be interested in it.

I would request you to provide a detailed review and ownership report of the machine.

Please do include the following w.r.t. India:
a. Long term reliability
b. Maintenance costs and schedule
c. Fuel economy :P
d. Convinience if one plans to use it as a daily drive
e. A comparo with the other bikes available in India
f. Your frank opinion on the bike in Indian driving conditions

It would be of great help
Thanks a lot
Old 30th November 2011, 16:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

@ Vikramvicky1984 – Post # 69

The Bonneville has now been confirmed for India and i am sure lots of us would be interested in it

VV1984, has there been any further news on this front? What I heard last was them appointing Eulogy! India as the PR Company

Please do include the following w.r.t. India: I would attempt to answer your questions. Since the nearest comparison currently in the Indian Market being RE Bullets – 350 & 500, I may use that to give you a clearer idea. Please don’t treat it as an attempt to demean Bullet in any way

a. Long term reliability: I am sure that you know that Triumph Motorcycles were synonymous for reliability on two wheels (at least before the advent of the Japs). I have no hesitation to say that it was - the reputation for being reliable – was not exaggerated in any way, from my personal use of Bonne for the last 2 years and from the experience of others here who have been Triumph users since 1996.

Further if you look in to the vintage/classic sections of TBHP you can see a lot of Triumph bikes and many have opinioned it to be one of the easily restorable vintage/classic bikes. This to me indicates the “goodness” of the basic build quality of the Triumphs. This basic Build quality, I believe is the source of the reliability and I have no hesitation in seconding it.

Last two years I have run her at all whether conditions from 5 Deg to 50 deg and absolutely no issues at all.

I am attaching couple pictures of Triumph Machines owned by a good friend here in Dubai (Mr. Gordon Hislop). One is 1998 and other 2004 (Yellow & Black Modified with Stage 3 headers etc) and if they can be so well maintained in the “harsh climate” here, I think you can draw your own inferences

Also I am posting pictures of another TB 1996 model (Stock) & 2009 Bonneville (moded with Corbin Seat & Alloys etc) model (both are not in top condition as the pics were taken after some long rides we had

b. Maintenance costs and schedule: The new Triumph Bikes – from 1996 onwards – have been quick in adopting the modern features and successfully mating them with the traditional (looks etc). Hence, like any other modern bikes the periodic maintenance schedules are at the intervals of 10,000 KM (with use of Synthetic Lubricants etc).

I have done 20,000 KM till date since new. 3 oil changes till date – 1st at 1,000 KM next at 10,000 and next now at 19,000. 3 Oil Filters and the Oil were the only consumables (other than fuel).

Another interesting aspect is that – there is no authorized service centre or Dealer for Triumph in UAE. I know of about 6 to 8 post 2008 bikes in UAE currently. I know that for a fact that none of us faced a situation where we were not able to use the bike for lack of dealer or service support – simply because there was no need for it (most of us do the pampering of the bikes at some of the DIY facilities available with some bike shops here in Dubai and Oil Filter is a standard K&N or Filtertec unit which is common with many other bikes

c. Fuel economy : You had to ask the favorite “national question” “kitna dete hai”. Vicky, honestly I don’t mind because I have been answering this question since 1984 – from the time I got my 1st new Rajdoot/Yamaha RD 350

To answer your question – its better than that of a RD 350 when you do a fuel efficiency with a power to weight comparison. At average speeds of 120 kmph the bike gives you a range of 225-250 KM (for about 14 liters of fuel). Probably at a more sedate speed the FE could be marginally better

Then with a nearly 900 cc engine you can’t bargain can you?

d. Convenience if one plans to use it as a daily drive: If you are comfortable of handling a heavy bike – 230 kgs – then it shouldn’t be an issue. Having said that I would qualify it – say if you ride 50-100 kms a day (not the stop and go errand type ride) then this could be a bike for you. Bike is heavy but handles well at low speeds as well. The cruising speeds can be as low as 40 kmph if you want.

e. A comparo with the other bikes available in India : Multiply the reliability of RE Bullets say by a factor of 20 – that in my opinion would be the reliability factor of a Triumph Bonneville. Where I have noticed handling issues with RE Bulls at speeds of 90 kmph plus, the Bonne comes through with ease and in fact I would say is a forgiving machine as well. It is a riders machine and with ease can maintain average speeds in excess of 150 kmph (I have topped at 200 kmph in the absolute stock condition my bike is in)

f. Your frank opinion on the bike in Indian driving conditions : Much better suited for Indian Conditions (especially the Bonneville, Thruxton, Scrambler & Speed Triple) than the Harley or the Japanese ones available currently (on the cruise segment). The Twins especially are having a rather simple mechanicals and can be competently attended to by some of the expert Mechanics that are there in mofusil cities in India. The GC of the bikes I have mentioned above is better than that of the HDs and hence would say can tackle most of the 2nd tire roads in India also with ease

I am bringing my Bonnie back to India (hopefully in the near future) and I am confident of her lasting at least for rest of my life and becoming the part of my son’s vintage and classic collection someday along with my RD 350

Sorry for the long reply to your rather specific questions

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-1998-thunderbird-sport-02.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-thunderbird-sport.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-triumph-tb-1996-1.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India.-sam_0640a.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th November 2011 at 16:56.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 18:21   #71
BHPian

Nair straight question to you...
I couldnt find a comparision between Boneville's
Whats the diff between Bonny/SE/T-100 is there a major height/wt ratio diff between them?
When I see regular Bonny & SE I dont see any difference spec wise other than SE has god awful 2 tone color and black finish...
Old 30th November 2011, 22:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Nair straight question to you...
I couldnt find a comparision between Boneville's
Whats the diff between Bonny/SE/T-100 is there a major height/wt ratio diff between them?
When I see regular Bonny & SE I dont see any difference spec wise other than SE has god awful 2 tone color and black finish...
Shrini you are not the only one who could not find the difference - That is because seriously there are no differences. Even as per some Triumph sites, "its the looks that set them apart".

I am giving below the Triumph's own description of each of these

Bonneville

The most famous name in motorcycling. A legend. Over 50 years of engineering excellence. A thoroughly modern interpretation of the authentic 'proper' motorcycle. This iconic symbol of rebellion and independence is even more appealing now thanks to its modern specification, low seat, clean fuel-injected 865cc engine and lightweight 17 inch Spoked Wheels. Stirs the heart, not the wallet

Standard Specifications

Engine: 865 cc Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 360º firing interval
Wheel: Spoked Wheels
Exhaust: Stainless steel headers, twin chromed pea-shooter silencersSeat Height: 775 mm 30.5 in

Bonneville T100

T100. Classic Sixties styling.

Bang up to date engineering. Retro meets modern. Double-barrelled, fuel-injected responsiveness from the 865cc parallel twin. Smooth pulling, double-barrelled fun. A mellow backbeat from the twin peashooter exhausts. Chrome engine covers. Black instrument surround with tacho. Triumph logo on the seat. Two-tone paint. Alloy wheels. Fork gaiters. You got the look. Motorcycling the way it's meant to be. Ride it with a smile

Standard Specifications

Engine: Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 360º firing interval
Exhaust : Stainless steel headers, twin chromed upswept silencers
Wheels: Cast aluminium alloy 7-spoke
Seat Height: 775 mm 30.5 in

Bonneville SE
Extra pure Bonneville.

Take a Bonneville. Spec up. Enjoy. The most famous name in motorcycling. A legend. Over 50 years of engineering excellence. A thoroughly modern interpretation of the authentic 'proper' motorcycle. This iconic symbol of rebellion and independence is even more appealing thanks to its modern specification, low seat, fuel-injected 865cc engine and lightweight 17 inch alloys for even sharper handling. SE adds that little bit more: matching tacho and speedo, polished engine covers and traditional chrome tank badge. Optional two tone paint scheme with hand painted pinstripe

Standard Specifications

Seat Height: 740cm 29.1in
865cc engine: Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 360º firing interval
Wheels: Cast aluminium alloy 7-spoke
Exhaust: Stainless steel headers, twin chromed upswept silencers

Unquote

The seat height of SE is usually lower than the other two.

Hope this clears your doubts

All three are really comparable performance-wise. I have ridden all three models and at my level can't differentiate except the ride feel difference between the Spoked Wheels & Tubed Tyre and the Alloy & Tubeless Tyre

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:03   #73
BHPian

@ Ram. Nice to read the excellent write up you have done on Triumphs especially given the fact that whenever HD or Triumph is mentioned in India, immediately people bring RE into the discussion as some kind of a cross-reference! which I always found strange in today's scenario.

And thanks for including the pics of those wonder beauties. Guess lots of riding planned at your end during the peak riding season in our part of the world

Me busy on biking front with some really exciting stuff happening this month. Shall update you later

Last edited by Haroon : 1st December 2011 at 12:04.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:37   #74
BHPian

Beautiful ride, and amazing amount of information in the thread. It is just beautiful, and hold it's own against the others in the pictures, specially the one with the MT, Ninja and CBR.
Thank you for taking time to answer those questions. Having ridden an Enfield most of life, I am little sceptical about riding a 230kg+ machine on Indian streets. But one never knows unless one rides one. It was interesting to know how little maintenance is required on the Bonnie. A question to you, I believe you have an EFI, how different it is compared to the earlier carbed versions?
Now that Triumph is expected to bring in their bikes in the 2012 Auto Expo, we can only hope the Bonnie comes in as a CKD and within a few months. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reliable information about Triumph setting up an assembly unit.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Beautiful ride, and amazing amount of information in the thread. It is just beautiful, and hold it's own against the others in the pictures, specially the one with the MT, Ninja and CBR.

Thanks Surajit !

A question to you, I believe you have an EFI, how different it is compared to the earlier carbed versions?

The Accelaration is much more smoother as per me. Since it has an EMC, possible to do some advanced mapping to tweek out a wee bit more of horses if one is so inclined. I am content with stock and has not done any mods.

Now that Triumph is expected to bring in their bikes in the 2012 Auto Expo, we can only hope the Bonnie comes in as a CKD and within a few months. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reliable information about Triumph setting up an assembly unit.
As per the announcements available till date - Bonnie is in the line up for India and it is CKD route as well.

See the thread on this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ter-india.html

Triumph India has a Facebook page as well and they confirmed that its the official page.

So I would say we can expect a roll out may be in this Financial Year itself

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th December 2011 at 15:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks