Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 23:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Replacement battery for Honda CBX 750F

Hi, everyone. Exide Backer 12 v 14 amp battery of my Honda CBX battery has died and I am unable to find replacement readily. The local Exide dealer says he will get one but will take a week. I am impatient because the bike is grounded ( no kickstart ). Can I fit other bike battery? Will it take the starter load of 4-cylinder engine of CBX? I am told there is some Rocket brand battery available but its amperage is high-- 16 or 18. Will it damage starter motor of CBX which takes 14 amps? Suggestions, any one please?
Old 8th June 2010, 00:07   #2
BHPian

Hi, I suggest you wait a while and get the exide battery.. A while ago a friend of mine was on the lookout for the same batt for his funduro. He did manage to get the exide batt after a coupla days. He also mentioned the availability of an amaron 14amp batt.
I have never heard of this rocket brand batt. Is it chinese made? Make sure the batt fits in palce properly before investing in it!

Could we please have a coupla' pics of the bike?

Cheers!
Old 8th June 2010, 08:43   #3
BHPian

Rocket batteries are manufactured by erstwhile Amco Yuasa. We use them (12V 150Ah, SMF) in our labs extensively and the performance is quite satisfactory.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanx James and Digital Vampire!

James, I don't think Amaron makes any 14 amp bike battery. And here is the link to pix. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...cbx-750-f.html

DV, so Rocket is a good brand. Anyway, I have decided to wait for 3/4 days and get Exide Backer.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Help, Help, Help!!! The local Exide dealer has given up. He said he called up Hyd, Chennai and that 14 amp battery is not available anywhere in India. I will have to source one from Dubai/ Europe. I know how long these things take.

One local mech suggested I go in for a 9 amp battery used in Pulsars. He slotted the battery in and the bike started up instantly. But I am not sure about the long term effects. The CBX alternator is made for 14 amp batteries, so will it cook up a 9 amp battery? Even if it doesn't, will the 9 amp battery take the load of powerful twin headlights of CBX and other electricals? Or will the bike require daily usage ( I use my bike only on weekends ) or regular bench-charging? Also, which is better, wet cell 9 amp battery or dry cell 9 amp battery? Questions, questions. Please, can anyone enlighten me?
Old 12th June 2010, 13:14   #6

Royal Enfield Classic 500 | Technical Specifications

Check out this Battery.. The classic 500 uses a 14AH battery .. if it helps then you can get at a royal enfield service centre i guess ..

And also check out which battery does Pulsar 220 use cos it has got fully DC electricals... may be that one also uses 14AH.. All the best !!
Old 13th June 2010, 01:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanx a lot Dman. Yes, the RE 500 did use 14Ah battery a few years ago but now they have switched over to 9Ah just like all other bikes. Exide was the only manufacturer who made these 14Ah batteries, Backer and Charge 14. Now they have stopped, too. So finally after searching in vain for over 15 days, I have given up on this and bought a regular Pulsar battery, a 9Ah one yesterday morning. Rode whole day and it is working fine. Thanks anyway. Happy my bike is on road again.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:36   #8
ald

The original battery for your bike is a Yuasa YTX14-BS which is available here in Mumbai. Batteries - BACHOO MOTOR & CYCLE COMPANY
This is what I use for my CB750K, again no kick. Cost :- 7K
Old 16th June 2010, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ald View Post
The original battery for your bike is a Yuasa YTX14-BS which is available here in Mumbai. Batteries - BACHOO MOTOR & CYCLE COMPANY
This is what I use for my CB750K, again no kick. Cost :- 7K
Thanx ald! But as I said I got myself the 9Ah batt and and its working fine. Saw a few more guys using 9Ah batts on their CBXs, on RC17 website.

Good to know you own its older bro, CB 750. Even CB 750 are rare bikes in India, I guess. Pls post/PM/mail me pics of your CB750. Is it in immaculate condition?
Old 30th September 2010, 14:26   #10
ald

My Bike

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th September 2010 at 14:33. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:40   #11
ald

My Bike

Pic from Mobile Cam.
1980 Honda CB750K. 4x1 MAC Exhaust
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement battery for Honda CBX 750F-61323_468475007989_648562989_6742309_4961974_n.jpg  

Old 21st December 2011, 16:39   #12
BANNED

Re: Replacement battery for Honda CBX 750F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanx ald! But as I said I got myself the 9Ah batt and and its working fine. Saw a few more guys using 9Ah batts on their CBXs, on RC17 website.
Sagar -

Now that it's been a year and a half, how is the 9A battery coming along?

Did you face any issues?

Thanks.

Last edited by Torquedo : 21st December 2011 at 16:40.
Old 21st December 2011, 19:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Sagar -

Now that it's been a year and a half, how is the 9A battery coming along?

Did you face any issues?

Thanks.
Yes I did. 9Amp couldn't take the load of the alternator. Starting the bike was not an issue at all, but after the engine starts the alternator starts sending out 14 amp current to basically a 9 amp battery. This 5 amp excess current cooked up the battery. The fluid evaporated, the plates warped deforming the battery. Ok it didn't happen overnight. It still lasted more than a year. Eventually I junked it and went for "Charge 14" battery, a 14 amp battery from Exide, 2 months back. The OE battery for CBX750 IS 14 amp.

Ald, the CB looks good. How does it sound? And run?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 19:44   #14
BANNED

Sagar higher amp battries wont create issue with starter motors only voltage matters, buy any thing between 14-20 amps as you already did, i am running almost double amp rated battries in most of my bikes for better electrical power reserve.
If you wont get the required amps put two battries in parallel, two 9 amps battry can make a 18 amps total in combinition.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:39   #15
ald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes I did. 9Amp couldn't take the load of the alternator. Starting the bike was not an issue at all, but after the engine starts the alternator starts sending out 14 amp current to basically a 9 amp battery. This 5 amp excess current cooked up the battery. The fluid evaporated, the plates warped deforming the battery. Ok it didn't happen overnight. It still lasted more than a year. Eventually I junked it and went for "Charge 14" battery, a 14 amp battery from Exide, 2 months back. The OE battery for CBX750 IS 14 amp.

Ald, the CB looks good. How does it sound? And run?
Thanks, sounds good but a bit muffled. I have chopped it up since the above pic was taken. Sounds amazing now, but am looking at getting a vintage Vance & Hines mega or something similar. Happy to hear that you've now got the 12-14 batt. These bikes are not happy with 9amperes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks