Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 02:29   #46
BHPian

Awesome writeup bro! I'm a Yamaha fan & love it's lineup of bikes, right from the Rx 100, the RD 350, R6/R1, the MT 01 and the big daddy of them all, the evil V-Max! I've been following up on the MT 01 ever since it's launch in India, along with the R1. Not only that, I love the MT-01's logo which looks straight out of the Transformers' movie and it's equally sinister catchline - Torque like a hammer! Beat that! To sum up this thread/long-term ownership review in one sentence would be - "Real insights by a real rider in real riding conditions on the MT-01."
Old 16th August 2010, 19:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
MT-01
Let me wish you many many more miles with your grand machine and thanks for the awesome report. Straight from the heart!

Quote:
Nivea… Don’t laugh!
Lol. I have heard many a stories about bikers and the Vaseline, but Nivea, first time.

Ride safe and spread the Joy!
Old 16th August 2010, 22:23   #48
Joy
BHPian

Just one word.... Wow! What a bike? Don't have much idea about super bikes but this is a total drool worthy stuff.

May be some day I can own one (of course, if vitamin M permits).

Wish you a very Happy and Safe Riding.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The more I read about the Bandit 1250s, the more it impresses.

The Bandit also addresses the range issue to some degree. In touring mode in India, it should return 20 km to the litre - the latest autocarindia test claims 22. So the 19 litre tank should give a range of 350-400 kms.

And it is the cheapest of the CBUs on offer, that makes it a steal - relatively speaking of course. I suspect that of all the CBUs on sale in India, this is the most suitable for Indian conditions.

My current shortlist has it, the MT01 and the Honda CB1000R on it. All the other CBU imports seem either too exotic, pricey and way of out of my league in terms of riding skills they would require.
Yes the Bandit is incredible when you look at the feature list, accessory list and the practicality for India. 91 Octane is available in most cities along the GQ. In other cities as well you can still find HP Power, IOCL Xtrapremium and BP Speed. LIke I said, in a pinch you can use regular unleaded (87 octane) without too much fuss.

Quote:
For sheer looks, pose value( still haven't got all that out of the system!), and uniqueness, it is still the MT01 that ticks all the boxes for me, but I can't help thinking that the Bandit would be the most pragmatic ( to the extent that these decisions can be!) of the lot for a bike that can be lived with for a few years at the least. I also guess that Suzuki India service ought to be as good as the other two.

Any comments/inputs?

PS: is the ordinary unleaded petrol available in the major cities now all 91 octane?
PPS: I shall copy this post in to a new thread.
Whatever I have heard about Suzuki service is positive. Yes the MT01 looks good but it blends away into the background thanks to the black color. I am trying to figure out some way to make the bike "Pop" out at the viewer. Let me see..
Old 17th August 2010, 19:18   #50
BHPian

The acceleration on the MT-01 is crazy. I almost pulled Guru's deltoids off when that thing took off. Blame the subs and the bottles of pepsi that I had with me while riding with GS. Of course statements like "let me show you what this bike can do" didnt help!! Amazing bike though and no I will still not go on long rides with you!
Old 18th August 2010, 00:03   #51
BHPian

An awesome thread dude.....I have always been dumbstruck when it comes to big fat baddies (bikes I mean) and yr pics are simply too good. Being a global traveller I get to see a lot of these outside of India but this is a first for me in good old HINDUSTAN! To top it all an equally strong write up to share the experiences....Kudos once again!
Old 18th August 2010, 12:27   #52
BHPian

Well written gsferrari!

That was a fabulous, well experienced report from an avid biker. Those snaps with the MT01 and the landscape is very picturesque. I have undertaken long trips on my Pulsar 180 DTS-i but I have never been as prepared like you have been all this while. Your writing is an eye-opener as to the importance of proper riding gears before undertaking long rides. And the pre-requisites listed are as important too. The feeling of riding a bike is freedom and pure excitement, and though I doubt I would bet my seats to a bike anytime soon, I would certainly like to have the right gears when I do plan to undertake any such.

And since most people out here discussing SBK's know much, could you suggest a modest tourer which wouldn't be demanding (spares, maintenance, quality fuel, etc.) and is around 2.5L-3L. I see the Kawasaki Ninja as the only option at the moment, if there are others, kindly help me out with them.

Thanks
Champion
Old 18th August 2010, 14:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

I think the old Karizma (not the new ZMR) is the best tourer for your money. I wouldn't want to tour on a Karizma and I am unable to come to terms with the Enfield's ergonomics, handling and unreliability at speed.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

I am not too much of biker after my longtime ride RX100 and 135 in late '90s. But few daring friends in Germany who talk ever so passionately about their machines made me consider a bike. I was **** scared to throttle their stationary beasts that were from BMW/Ducati/few Busas and one Fireblade. I remember them setting the pace and I following them in the Cayman, they drove with disdain on the hills I couldn't match. I was always last to reach as those speed demons used to rip the engines and go max out while I used to drive sanely.

Your 5* touring accounts reminds me of them. Thanks! You are a true dare devil. I dont take my cars above 120s on NHs in India. It is always dangerous with shooting starts at every median. No more fun, its taxing to calculate too many permutations and combinations to land up in a ditch due to someone else's mistake.

Have fun and I am hooked on.

Drive safe and Cheers!
Old 20th August 2010, 01:14   #55
BHPian

Damn nice thread!
Guru your writing had me hookeddd on till 4 am and I was late for work the next day!

Quite inspiring - Gypsy, bicycle, maybe motorcycle ought to come next!
Old 20th August 2010, 06:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
91 Octane is available in most cities along the GQ. In other cities as well you can still find HP Power, IOCL Xtrapremium and BP Speed. LIke I said, in a pinch you can use regular unleaded (87 octane) without too much fuss.
So, in cities where euro IV norms are in force, is the standard petrol now being sold 91 octane? Because the ones named also have fuei additives, some makes recommend not using these. Also, on the pumps in major cities on, say, the NH4 to Blr, places like Kolhapur or Belgaum, is 91 octane the standard fuel sold? The Bandit has a comp ratio of 10.5 to 1, while the Honda goes higher to 11.2. Would either be a showstopper for the fuel concern, in practice?
Old 20th August 2010, 10:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Damn nice thread!
Guru your writing had me hookeddd on till 4 am and I was late for work the next day!

Quite inspiring - Gypsy, bicycle, maybe motorcycle ought to come next!
Imran - I think motorcycles aren't "bought" with a wallet but are "absorbed" by the soul. You have to YEARN for one...you have to DREAM about riding away into the distance, just you and your ride. Anyone can buy a motorcycle and sometimes there is magic and sometimes it just fizzles out. I've had motorcycles that I just couldn't be bothered about and they are all gone now.

I'll give you a ride sometime and then you can decide if this is something you want to do or not.

Quote:
So, in cities where euro IV norms are in force, is the standard petrol now being sold 91 octane? Because the ones named also have fuei additives, some makes recommend not using these. Also, on the pumps in major cities on, say, the NH4 to Blr, places like Kolhapur or Belgaum, is 91 octane the standard fuel sold? The Bandit has a comp ratio of 10.5 to 1, while the Honda goes higher to 11.2. Would either be a showstopper for the fuel concern, in practice?
No standard petrol is still 87 octane or "saada" petrol. You have to specify for BP Speed, IOCL Xtrapremium to get 91 octane. HP Power is still 87 octane with additives. Some say that BP Speed is 87 octane with additives and detergents but I haven't had any problems using it. Xtrapremium seems to be the best bet but IOCL COCO pumps are few and far between.

NH4 has COCO and franchise pumps and most of them are clean. Go for Speed/Xtrapremium from a clean gas station and you will be OK. Bandit can run nicely on 91 octane and even HP Power (87 octane) if you run out of options.

Not sure which Honda you are talking about but I think anything 10.5:1 and above will need higher octane fuel. They can run on 91 octane but it has to be of the highest standard. I don't believe in octane boosters and there are plenty of negatives to using these additives as well.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No standard petrol is still 87 octane or "saada" petrol. You have to specify for BP Speed, IOCL Xtrapremium to get 91 octane. HP Power is still 87 octane with additives. Some say that BP Speed is 87 octane with additives and detergents but I haven't had any problems using it. Xtrapremium seems to be the best bet but IOCL COCO pumps are few and far between.

NH4 has COCO and franchise pumps and most of them are clean. Go for Speed/Xtrapremium from a clean gas station and you will be OK. Bandit can run nicely on 91 octane and even HP Power (87 octane) if you run out of options.

Not sure which Honda you are talking about but I think anything 10.5:1 and above will need higher octane fuel. They can run on 91 octane but it has to be of the highest standard. I don't believe in octane boosters and there are plenty of negatives to using these additives as well.
The Honda is the CB1000R. It looks like the Bandit is the better option at this time...
I thought that all big cities now get 91 octane as standard, I see I was wrong.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Honda is the CB1000R. It looks like the Bandit is the better option at this time...
I thought that all big cities now get 91 octane as standard, I see I was wrong.
Absolutely. The Bandit is more practical and usable than the CB1000R. The Bandit can take you to Ladakh and back without a hiccup. In fact this has been done by Sandeep Goswami who took the Bandit to Leh, around Leh and back (from Delhi).

Welcome to Facebook
Old 6th May 2012, 23:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Living with the Yamaha MT-01 : 20,000 Km report

Quick update. After 3 years and more than 30,000 Kms, the MT-01 goes to a new home. Never have I been more happy with a motorcycle and never has a motorcycle just hummed along without giving me a single moment of concern. MT-01 engines are known to last through 1 Lakh Km before needing engine work and I have no doubt "Thor" will get there without a hiccough.

I am moving on to the Suzuki Hayabusa in 2012 Black livery. Something different from my usual attraction to practical motorcycles like the MT-01 and the Ninja 650R. Let me see how this adrenaline shot in the form of a motorcycle fits into my life.

Thanks for following my updates...
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks