Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 15:44   #76
BHPian

Re: Living with the Yamaha MT-01 : 20,000 Km report

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
You've revived a ghost thread ��

Nivea works... Try it.
I don't know how I missed this thread for such a long time. What a review and write up @gsferrari. Loved reading it. Like yourself I am a big fan of the MT-01. I still have a poster of it on my wall in Chennai. Very unique bike and like you said so yourself don't think there'll be another like it to come out anytime soon or ever.

I'm really going to have to try that Nivea trick of yours. Will let you know how it goes
Old 13th March 2018, 09:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

I read the review thanks to the revival of this thread! Tons of userful information. Is Yamaha still good with their A.S.S for superbikes? They don't sell very many these days i guess so just wondering. When i look around, i only see bikes that have been purchased at least 4-5 or even more years ago so where do these owners go for support?

Asking cause am considering the MT09 and i probably would be the only idiot in the country to think of doing this.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th August 2018 at 19:54. Reason: B2B post
Old 13th March 2018, 11:26   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Asking cause am considering the MT09 and i probably would be the only idiot in the country to think of doing this.
Really worth the risk over the equally brilliant Triumph Street Triple RS?
Old 14th March 2018, 09:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Really worth the risk over the equally brilliant Triumph Street Triple RS?
I know i know...i keep asking myself that But i have to have a pillion seat that is truly there where the pillion wont fall off!. I tried a monster 821 too and the way it puts the power down to the wheels is nuts. And the engine has just so much torque that it feels heavy. The MT seems to be nuts too but Manson says its Jap so wont feel heavy like a monster. I cant express it well but the MT09 and a used Monster 821 are the only options i could see with a decent pillion seat. I did consider the N1000 too but just couldnt connect - its a great bike though.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:11   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I know i know...i keep asking myself that But i have to have a pillion seat that is truly there where the pillion wont fall off!. I tried a monster 821 too and the way it puts the power down to the wheels is nuts. And the engine has just so much torque that it feels heavy. The MT seems to be nuts too but Manson says its Jap so wont feel heavy like a monster. I cant express it well but the MT09 and a used Monster 821 are the only options i could see with a decent pillion seat. I did consider the N1000 too but just couldnt connect - its a great bike though.
On the MT-09 note, would we see a significant price drop now that the CBU taxes (over 800 cc) are down to 50% from 75%? It is a brilliant bike, and with a price cut to bring it in line with the Street Triple S, it can be a great deal.
Old 25th March 2018, 16:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

I still think Yamaha make better motorcycles than Kawasaki/Triumph etc. The fit and finish of their bikes are on a different level. Something as insignificant as the pillion foot-pegs were a design and technology marvel on the MT-01. It was made from an lovely light weight alloy and it would click into place like a surgical instrument. They don't make bikes like that anymore...except maybe at Yamaha. Haven't seen the MT-09 so can't comment. The new R1 is unbelievably well made.

EDIT: I don't like that they've diluted the MT brand with in-line 4s. I think they need to revisit the MT-01 in the Indian market given the increased maturity/awareness of the buyers. Gone are the days when everyone wanted an inline-4 thrill fix. You see so many cruisers and sport cruisers around these days. It could be a very successful revival of an iconic machine.

Then again my own selfish interest for a chance to own another MT-01 cloud my judgement. Really miss that bike...

Last edited by gsferrari : 25th March 2018 at 16:45.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:44   #82
BHPian

Thanks a ton for summing up so many things that is there to a bikers life. Your advise wud be a preach to me right now. I am looking at a 2006 MT01 right now.
1. Since discontinued world over, how are it’s parts availability?
2. It is MH reg and I intend to use in south India, consequences? What was the ex showroom price when you bought it? Invoice necessary?
3. I guess the FC is to be renewed at 15 yrs of bike’s life, wat does it cost?
4. Practicality of a MT in city use, I know it’s a vague question. But if you can remember could you recall minimum speeds in different gears? I am a doctor and I ride a bike to work. I intend to do so all my life.
5. Some insight on shocks, about its wear and tear over years and fixes. Insight about its GC?
6. I am looking at Harley fat bob which looks like a brother from another mother to this bike. But being a Yamaha boy I feel I can connect to this better. But I could use the 2018 fat bob with a better aftermarket pillion seat as a 2 up cruiser with the wife. Not for long tours but medium range. Wife likes it comfy, I am not looking for a solution per se but insights from a sorted, Nivea gelled guru like yourself will help!
Would like to add a rugged comfy tourer alongside the MT at some point and that will replace my t100.
Old 4th August 2018, 17:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
On the MT-09 note, would we see a significant price drop now that the CBU taxes (over 800 cc) are down to 50% from 75%? It is a brilliant bike, and with a price cut to bring it in line with the Street Triple S, it can be a great deal.
Bought a used Monster 821 - had done only 1600kms!
Attached Thumbnails
Living with the Yamaha MT-01 : 20,000 Km report-img20180713wa0004.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 17:32   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bought a used Monster 821 - had done only 1600kms!
Congratulations Nilesh!

How does it hold size wise in comparison to your GT-250?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 16:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations Nilesh!

How does it hold size wise in comparison to your GT-250?
Thanks Sheel!

Actually the GT-250 visually was almost the same size at a casual glance. On a finer look, you would realize the size of the radiator is smaller, the tank is a wee bit smaller too, the discs, the front forks etc.

But i can tell you that that monster lives up to the street bike cred. Its nimble, easy to ride (in the touring mode) in traffic and doesn't heat up much (at least not as much as the T100 i used to ride for a while). And on the highway over 4000rpm, trust me you won't stop grinning!

I do want to start an ownership thread or hijack Sen's who hasn't updated his for a while.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 18:17   #86

Thor is alive and well.

Custodianship of this lovingly maintained MT-01 has passed on to me. Unfortunately its currently stored away for a 3 month long hibernation as i go back out to sea. I rode it down from Bangalore to its new home in Kerala and it was by far the most enjoyable highway drone i'd done to date.

Except for a few minor niggles the bike is running very well.

Some pictures of Thor at its new home. It will be sharing garage space with my Versys 650 and Shogun.
Attached Thumbnails
Living with the Yamaha MT-01 : 20,000 Km report-img_20180728_083139754_hdr.jpg  

Living with the Yamaha MT-01 : 20,000 Km report-img_20180728_103908128.jpg  

jmjmec is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 11:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

That's fantastic to hear! How many Kms has he clocked so far? I have my old instrument panel with 34800 km 😎
Old 12th August 2018, 15:37   #88

The new ODO reads just over 13000 km, so that's 12.5K ridden by the last owner.

The MT is a motorcycle that has always fascinated me and i fell for it during a TWO track day at Kari where i had one parked next to my bike (Pulsar 220Fi) and had the pleasure of watching and hearing it from the pit wall as it ate up laps that whole day.
I remember having read a lot of your posts both here and on Xbhp and its only after i'd put down money on this MT and while going through some of your old posts that i realized that the bikes had the same registration number and that i'm purchasing gsferrari's bike, THE very MT that i've read so much about.

The MT Is everything i'd hoped it would be, An expectation that was shaped largely by your rather descriptive ownership review.

The MT will not be seeing the kind of mileage that it did with you in its first couple of years as I like my Versys for longer distances having just got back from a solo 9.5k km one month long trip from Kerala to Ladakh and back but it will be ridden and well taken care of.

Do you by any chance have a soft copy of the Parts catalog for the MT?

If you're ever in Kerala especially near Kochi or Munnar Please do get in touch. Would love to reunite you with your Thor, if only for a short while.
jmjmec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 19:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

I remember back in 2006/07 Yamaha was looking to launch the R1 and the MT-01. An acquaintance had the Yamaha dealership and I managed to get my hands on a pristine new MT-01 during the initial months.
From what I can remember, the bike had immense road presence and looked right out of the concept floor. The engine though lumpy and slow revving was very torquey. The sound coming out of those cans was also very melodic.
I particularly loved the ride quality and the space it offered. Covered a few thousand kms on it and it was a very enjoyable experience.
Old 19th August 2018, 19:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you by any chance have a soft copy of the Parts catalog for the MT?

If you're ever in Kerala especially near Kochi or Munnar Please do get in touch. Would love to reunite you with your Thor, if only for a short while.
Don't have the soft copy sorry. It's been a while since I saw Thor so I'll be really pleased to catch another glimpse of it. Took my friend's MT out for a day in Bangalore and loved it but I also realised that I've moved on from big burly bikes. The crotch heat reminded me of the one thing I hated about the MT...

Boiled Eggs 😂
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed