Team-BHP - Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/87139-bandit-1250-yamaha-mt01-hondacb1000r-anything-else-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 2026790)
@ Aargee (me the same Haroon that you know!)- As for wifes, they do have a rational in what they say for the good of the family. And its true, the priorities have to be made. I have also gone thru what you have mentioned. However, like you said it is better late than never for the SBK.

Tell me, can you beat any wifey's logic? Can you afford to dismiss that thought? I always tell it to myself, its now or never, but it never happens :D. Glad to see you @Haroon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 2026790)
I know this is more of hypothetical example

Excellent thought & very well put. I don't have issues spending 15K to buy one, but the point I was trying to make is that, having just a motorcycle, car & a scooter, I've been postponing to buy the gear for several months now. Add a SBK & I'll probably never be able to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer
I haven't the skills nor the appetite for the risk

Rightly said; all we need is monstrous torque, speed anything up to 200 is fine. But torque in any gear, low & midrange should be powerful.

My verdict on SBK is, if you can afford it, start thinking if you can maintain it. Maintain means, to the extent of fixing any damages caused due to natural wear & tear or self-made. If its possible, then go for it. Most importantly, if you're married, you need guts to overcome if your family opposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2027245)
My verdict on SBK is, if you can afford it, start thinking if you can maintain it. Maintain means, to the extent of fixing any damages caused due to natural wear & tear or self-made. If its possible, then go for it. Most importantly, if you're married, you need guts to overcome if your family opposes.

I agree. I also think that spending serious money in the face of family opposition on what can also carry some element of risk, and on something you would be doing alone most of the time, would be irresponsibly selfish, not gutsy.
My question presupposes that this hurdle has been crossed successfully.

A very good discussion going on here.Infact i am at this very stage in procuring a bike which i can ride anywhere without any stress and can park it anywhere without attracting a lot of attention.

Attention is really a very serious issue.say you travel for a long distance and you go to a restaurant.You will have to park it outside and go inside.Now if its drawing too much attention then you'll have people sitting on it getting photographs clicked when you come back.Thats the easy part.the hard part is maybe they tip it over.Or when you object to them sitting on the bike they might just tip it over themselves out of jealousy.this has infact happened to a couple of sbkers i know.Big issue.

I personally have make it a point that i am within shouting distance from my bike at all times so that i can shout at anyone touching it.

This is precisely the reason i'm looking at the bikes you've mentioned.Infact if you have seen the bandit, it looks exactly like a slightly bigger and modified pulsar 220.Now thats good.Infact thats great for peace of mind.

Initially all the style and oomph factor is great but in some time you'll get tired of it and want to just mingle with the crowd.At one point i was thinking of transplanting a jap twin cylinder engine into a bullet's chassis just so that i have power and its got zero attention issues.

I like this perspective of trying to justify the purchase of an SBK. Till date, I dont think anyone on either this or xBHP have tried to do this before. Thanks Sawyer/Argee.

To be honest, I am behind a busa myself. I know it and the wife does too. She trusts my judgement and because of that, we can buy one without putting a dent in our finances. However, being the questioner myself, I am trying to justify to myself whether this is a good idea. Even a used busa will set us back by 8-10 lacs; cash. Opportunity cost seems to be a bit high.

It is also important to answer the question - OK, you've bought it, what next? For a guy who has never owned a bike, I need to answer that well. Touring, running around town, weekend rides, whatever. If not, buyer's remorse (and a costly one at that) is sure to set in. End of the day, we have to answer to our own conscience.

Then, there is the other argument - that you only live once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2027427)
This is precisely the reason i'm looking at the bikes you've mentioned.Infact if you have seen the bandit, it looks exactly like a slightly bigger and modified pulsar 220.Now thats good.Infact thats great for peace of mind.

An excellent reason for the Bandit decision - and one I had not thought of. Very valid though, I have to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepTrouble (Post 2027454)
It is also important to answer the question - OK, you've bought it, what next? For a guy who has never owned a bike, I need to answer that well. Touring, running around town, weekend rides, whatever. If not, buyer's remorse (and a costly one at that) is sure to set in. End of the day, we have to answer to our own conscience.

Then, there is the other argument - that you only live once.

I am not sure how people that say they do, use these bikes for the daily commute. Even on the Bullet, where I wear just an armored jacket, helmet and gloves, on most days I don't look too presentable when I peel all of that off on a typical Indian day after the ride. I look sweaty and disheveled, in need of a shower. So the Bullet remains a leisure ride, which is fine, and what I got it for. Can one justify the spend on a Bandit for that kind of use? Another personal thing, with the only live once bell tolling in the background of course!

Frankly if you don't have secured and covered space at the office then one should not be taking the bike to the office.one is going there for work.Not thinking about who's touching the bike. Yes you can take it for daily chores but it'll take its toll on the bike too like scratches etc.more over the engine wear and tear riding at 40-50 kmph city speed is way more than riding at 100 for these superbikes.the ovrheating definitely takes its toll on the components of the bike and not to mention on our bodies as well.

My bike is 5 years old now.yet it has no component failing till now.i occasionally ride it.and i ride it hard.But i keep a good check on it at all times and regurlarly start it and warm it up even if i'm not riding it.I am a DIY guy and have done all works on it myself with the help of a service manual.Servicing is not costly at all this way.All the bike needs regularly is a oil and oil filter change.rest these bikes are bullet proof.Now that 5 years are over i need to do some expensive preventive maintenance.

You can shun out the expensive maintenance part out of your mind.if you're decent with tools you can keep a preventive check yourself with the help of a service manual which is easily available at Ronayers.com

This is really an expensive toy but the way i think it has to be a lifetime toy.use it when you just need to forget all other stresses.its like a drug to get high.when you ride this bike you need to forget everything else and concentrate hard.for all of those minutes of hours you're riding this bike you have to have absolute concentration.This itself is a high when you really forget every tension in life and when you stop there is a big smile on your face.Thats sums up all the money you've spent on the bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2027237)
Any update on when any of the Japanese are bringing in any of the 600/700 cc class bikes?

As of now, vapourware.
Guess it will be inbetween the launch of the Thar and the Jimny!

Seriously, I think the Japs will launch their 600s only if Hyosung launches its. Being brandbuilding, rather than commercial exercises, they will not allow an upstart like Hyosung be associated with the term "performance biking" in the Indian mindspace.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2026912)
Heart says the Honda, brain says Bandit and the MT01 touches the soul! Cruising all day at 200 though - where can one do that in India and live to tell the tale?.

Oh, what I meant to say is that all 3 bikes can easily match your requirement of cruising at 120 because they can do a lot more. So its down to personal choice.

Any reason you have dropped the Harley? Isin't that the best priced one of the lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2027547)
My bike is 5 years old now.Now that 5 years are over i need to do some expensive preventive maintenance.

Can you make a thread about it Nav? It will really be helpful
Quote:

This itself is a high when you really forget every tension in life and when you stop there is a big smile on your face.Thats sums up all the money you've spent on the bike.
The kind of orgasmic feel I have just hearing the revs climb in an in-line is to die for, riding it would be like(I won't ask for anything more, I promise oh Dear Lord!)

On the regular Bandit 1250, if you add saddlebags, topcase, modify the windshield & add a few other tit bits, it will still give you most of the enjoyment factor that you would otherwise get by paying more than twice the price for top of the line sport tourers like the Kaw GTR1400 or Yam FJR1300 or Hon VFR1200 etc.

The bike here is the full option GT version, but imagine riding into the horizon on the Bandit:

YouTube - Bandit 1250 SA GT

More than the revs climbing up when you ride it in the mountains on the curves taking each curve to your personal limit in leaning down the and then powering down the small straight before braking for the next turn.Now thats orgasm.!! hehe

keep doing that for about an hour and your limbs will get sore and will ache so much that you'd wish a bed was laid before you that instant.But when you get off your bike.and look at the bike and the vanished chicken strips and say "What a RIDE!" that makes up for it all.

Oh yes by the way hearing the revs climb through a free flow Arata is even more to die for.;)

It sure as hell is intoxicating and I don't know of any influence bigger than that.

Reminds me, its been ages since I saw a black ZX-12R:)

Hope the pics do some justice.

Quote:

My bike is 5 years old now.yet it has no component failing till now.i occasionally ride it.and i ride it hard.But i keep a good check on it at all times and regurlarly start it and warm it up even if i'm not riding it.I am a DIY guy and have done all works on it myself with the help of a service manual.Servicing is not costly at all this way.All the bike needs regularly is a oil and oil filter change.rest these bikes are bullet proof.Now that 5 years are over i need to do some expensive preventive maintenance.

Which bike are you riding right now? Pls do put up some pics. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2027427)
the hard part is maybe they tip it over.Or when you object to them sitting on the bike they might just tip it over themselves out of jealousy.this has infact happened to a couple of sbkers i know.Big issue.

Another reason in favour of the Bandit is the more secure centre stand it has as an option to the one at the side. I guess it is the only one on the list with it. And I assume that since it is provided, one doesn't have to be King Kong to use it.

Quote:

You can shun out the expensive maintenance part out of your mind.if you're decent with tools you can keep a preventive check yourself with the help of a service manual which is easily available at Ronayers.com

This is really an expensive toy but the way i think it has to be a lifetime toy.use it when you just need to forget all other stresses.its like a drug to get high.when you ride this bike you need to forget everything else and concentrate hard.for all of those minutes of hours you're riding this bike you have to have absolute concentration.This itself is a high when you really forget every tension in life and when you stop there is a big smile on your face.Thats sums up all the money you've spent on the bike.

I prefer to do DIY myself for service, and reading this is good news.
On the big smile subject, what you refer to is being in the now! And what ticks my box too is the feeling of being one with a bike that you have worked on to keep in a perfect state of tune, when it is running just the way it should, and you are one with it and with the world around you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 2027781)
Oh, what I meant to say is that all 3 bikes can easily match your requirement of cruising at 120 because they can do a lot more. So its down to personal choice.

Any reason you have dropped the Harley? Isin't that the best priced one of the lot.

I rode a top of the line Harley in 2007 and I found it big, bulky, not with a whole lot of tech, too much chrome that did not hide all the crude old fashioned iron, and hugely impractical in Indian cities. The thing needs a reverse gear! I think it would also not be as reliable as the Japanese SBKs. If I am to spend this kind of money on it, I do not want what is, at the end of the day, an American Bullet.The bike may work well in its home environment of running on straight slabs of the American highway system, but I am not at all sure it will work well here. And I do not have the burning desire to be a part of the American icon/HD culture story.

One thing the Indian Bandit lacks is ABS. That would be have been a useful thing to have in front.
A question to experts - the first thing one learns riding bikes is to use the front brake for starting to stop and through out thereafter, with the rear brake contributing to about 30% of the stopping effort, to stabilize the bike.
An aside on this subject - I remember arguing this a long time ago with friends with Yezdis. My friend effectively shut me up by telling me that on our bikes, only the rear brake activated the brake lights! Which was the case with my Yezdi as well, I was in the habit of using the front anchors but stepping on the rear pedal to activate the light, even flashing it, to prevent being rammed. I had the rear brake set up loose, so I could do this without applying the brake. When I got the Bullet after a long biking hiatus, I was happy to see that both brakes are now connected to the rear brake light.
Back to the question - one also learns to not touch the brakes in a turn with the bike leaned over, and if one just has to do that in a dire emergency, to keep away from the front brake, because losing the front is almost certainly going to end up in a fall.
Does one have to observe the strict no front brake use in a turn on an ABS equipped bike as well? In which case the ABS would be useful only where the road surface is poor because of gravel, oil etc. In fact, even there, if it is oil, I am not sure that ABS is fast enough to prevent a front end wipe out because things tend to happen very fast on slippery surfaces.
Any inputs from people that have seen the effect of ABS on bikes in practice?