Team-BHP - Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/87139-bandit-1250-yamaha-mt01-hondacb1000r-anything-else-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2027259)
My question presupposes that this hurdle has been crossed successfully.

Right, but this is one MOST important factor that most of the people who're not in the rich class, but still able to afford for one are facing.

@Sawyer - I used a decent term guts to avoid the word selfish. If that is called selfish, then what's not selfish in this world? Why do parents always have to sacrifice everything for their children? And why do children always have to be selfish? If we keep doing this, why would I want to die without realizing one of my dream when I'm almost in a position to realize it? What if I'm able to afford for the SBK & the expensive set of Jewellery that my Wifey needs? So why are the wantings of women not called as selfish, but as needs?

@Navpreet - Attention is a silly factor & there're much more things than that. There're some people who will come to see Bandit thinking how come P220 is bigger than Bandit. Also, try visiting a 5* hotel, they'll allow any car inside including a Nano, but, you're 10L worth CBR/Bandit or even a Ninja 250R will be stricly restricted to park outside. Will you avoid visiting 5* hotels at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepTrouble
I dont think anyone on either this or xBHP have tried to do this before

There's a thread already running in xBhp on this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navpreet
Frankly if you don't have secured and covered space at the office then one should not be taking the bike to the office.one is going there for work

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navpreet318
more over the engine wear and tear riding at 40-50 kmph city speed is way more than riding at 100 for these superbikes

This wear & tear is hardly noticable in a lifespan of over 5-7 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel
Can you make a thread about it Nav? It will really be helpful

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2028106)
This wear & tear is hardly noticable in a lifespan of over 5-7 years.

+1

I think the point is, and I agree, that if one were to use the bike only on short city rides where it does not have a chance to run at its operating temperatures for much of the ride, and where there is a risk of lugging the engine in low rpm roll on roll offs, there would be a lot more wear of the engine parts than by using the bike in places where it can be used to do what it is designed to do. Now, whether that lot more wear would be noticeable in 5-7 years, I am not qualified to say.

I agree too & the point I believe is, if one is to be using a SBK more for everyday in stop & go city traffic than on highways, the lifespan is reduced.

Anyway, lets come back to the topic of Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2028026)
My friend effectively shut me up by telling me that on our bikes, only the rear brake activated the brake lights!

When I got the Bullet after a long biking hiatus, I was happy to see that both brakes are now connected to the rear brake light.

Sawyer,

Slightly :OT

The first Indian made bike that activated the brake light even with front brake was RD 350 in 1982-83.

The Ind-Suzuki follwed with this in their AX 100 range.

Actually as I had said before, the fobia about the use of front brakes is a legacy of graduating from bycycle to motorcycle.

In most of the old cycles - because of the ergonomics of sitting, technology of brakes etc - it is a rather delicate exercise to remain seated properly, if and when we use the front brakes. Also because of the speeds involved, one could get a reasonably effective stop using ones rear brake only Vs the risk of rather painful dislocation from ones seat. So we sort of become conditioned in use of rear brakes (almost) only.

Whether ABS is required or effective on the bikes, I would leave the experts to answer. But at my speeds I have found no special assistance from them in acheiving effective stops.

Is Suzuki India having any plans on V Strom 1000 or 650 being introduced in India. Considering our road conditions (especially the secondary roads) that could be a real tourer especially in the Dakar get up

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2028026)
One thing the Indian Bandit lacks is ABS. That would be have been a useful thing to have in front.

ABS indeed should be an asset and not just in India.
Quote:

Back to the question - one also learns to not touch the brakes in a turn with the bike leaned over, and if one just has to do that in a dire emergency, to keep away from the front brake, because losing the front is almost certainly going to end up in a fall.
Does one have to observe the strict no front brake use in a turn on an ABS equipped bike as well? In which case the ABS would be useful only where the road surface is poor because of gravel, oil etc. In fact, even there, if it is oil, I am not sure that ABS is fast enough to prevent a front end wipe out because things tend to happen very fast on slippery surfaces.
Any inputs from people that have seen the effect of ABS on bikes in practice?
Braking while leaning turning isn't a strict NO NO if you know what you are doing and is advisable post you have spent at least 50K on a good Motorcycle.
ABS like in Cars distributes the braking force & even if you aren't using rear brake at all, it steps in & puts a wee bit pressure after detecting traction levels.

I am giving two links where Braking was discussed by pros and noobs alike, hope you find them of use.

Braking - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

How to increase rear wheel traction? Better Braking - Motoroids Forums

Quote:

@Navpreet - Attention is a silly factor & there're much more things than that. There're some people who will come to see Bandit thinking how come P220 is bigger than Bandit. Also, try visiting a 5* hotel, they'll allow any car inside including a Nano, but, you're 10L worth CBR/Bandit or even a Ninja 250R will be stricly restricted to park outside. Will you avoid visiting 5* hotels at all?

Attention my friend is a very big factor.i have personally dealt with idiots who have actually tried to scratch the bike when i objected them to sitting on the bike.also everyone one around wants to wring the throttle and get a pic taken on the bike.this is what happens from attention..then there are idiots on pulsars and karizmas who'll try to race you and try to get as close as possible to try and distract you and maybe even harm the bike out of jealousy.

till date all the 5 stars i have taken the bike to have never objected to the bike.infact i have parked it in their entrance lobby every time.and if there is a 5 star or any hotel which doesn't let my bike in then frankly i won't go there.My 15 lakh machine is too dear to me.

these are the effects of attention.

@Navpreet - Oh!!! well I should've put things right; I meant to say that, if you're able to afford one of the SBK, pls do buy & do not hesitate for the reason of attention.

On your previous post, I agree 101%. Its more than true that whatever you said WILL happen when you own one of those SBK. Some folks, come around your motorcycle & check out, but do not touch. If you call them morons, then I'm one of them too. I personally check out any such thing, BUT, never touch other's properties as my rights are limited to visual but not feel.

But you know what? This is bound to happen even with an Rx. I've a brand new Rx built up & most of the folks keep checking; not sure how many have or wanted to sit on it & wring the throttle. So, my point is, if this attention issue can happen on more than 2 decade old motorcycle, why not a brand new launch & that too a SBK?

We cannot have a control on such things Navpreet. Best is not to take them or protect, like using a Xena security alarm where, if someone touches the motorcycle, the alarm sounds like crazy & naturally people turn away OR use a big smelly bedsheet kind of cover to keep people away.

But my point still remains that, do not refrain buying a SBK, just because of this "attention" factor. It will take several decade for people to mature on this & we cannot keep waiting until then. We can only control ourselves & protect our property, for certain things we're out of control & its a sad truth.

On a lighter side, someone who bought a Ninja 250R was tired explaining to people about the price, power, lights being turned ON, features & what not. Finally, out of frustration, he started marketing that his motorcycle is modified Pulsar lol:

Haha...i actually market it as a wind 125 modified for 60k.LOL.

I respect other people's bikes.despite being a sbk owner i love checking out other SBKs.But just as you said i respect them and the owner and just check them out and not touch.

There is no harm in that.But you haven't seen morons here man! they will go to any extend.Sctatch the bikes.kids will try to rip the seat open.and then the worst part...they will knowck their finger rings on the tank (absolutely no idea why they do it) and then loudly proclaim thats is a plastic tank.haha

I have had no problems talking to people about mileage and speed and price and what not but sitting on the bikes is just unacceptable.

This is the reason i'm also looking at another bike.a bike with power but less of looks and less delicate stuff to get damaged.

And yes its the feel which has still got me holding on to the bike despite all these problems.You're right about that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2028787)
Braking while leaning turning isn't a strict NO NO if you know what you are doing and is advisable post you have spent at least 50K on a good Motorcycle.
ABS like in Cars distributes the braking force & even if you aren't using rear brake at all, it steps in & puts a wee bit pressure after detecting traction levels.

Thanks for the links, but they do say what my experience does, try to straighten the bike first if you need to brake. I would never touch the front brake when I am leant over, for sure, I have been on bikes since 1977. Counter steering to avoid the obstacle, yes, front braking in a lean, no. But my unanswered question is - does ABS on the front mean that this learning is not relevant on bikes so equipped and it is safe to use the front brake when the bike is leant over in a turn.
And as far as ABS is concerned, I think what you are referring to is ABS+EBD. Does an ABS on bikes really do that transfer of force to the rear brakes thing even when you haven't touched the rear brake pedal? I would have thought that an ordinary ABS on a bike would work on just the wheel it is fitted to. But, as I have said, I don't know this subject enough, hence the question.

Quote:

What if I'm able to afford for the SBK & the expensive set of Jewellery that my Wifey needs? So why are the wantings of women not called as selfish, but as needs?

@Will you avoid visiting 5* hotels at all?

+1

As someone who has been married for 20 plus years, my advice is you do not want to go down the jewelry discussion road to justify any of your spending, if you value domestic harmony - first thing you will hear is that it is an investment not an expense!
And if I had to park my SBK outside, I would take the car, or not go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2029170)
Attention my friend is a very big factor.i have personally dealt with idiots who have actually tried to scratch the bike when i objected them to sitting on the bike.

New car owners face this hazard too, and not just the ones that buy supercars. One of the many downsides to living in India, but I wouldn't want to live in any other country!

My one concern about the Bandit is the dimensions and therefore, ability to run along with and in Indian city traffic. I see from the spec that the length breadth are very similar to the Bullet, but it does weigh 250 kgs, so would it be "flickable" enough, 250 kilos is a lot of weight to move around at traffic speeds. And the seat is high from the ground, and on such a heavy bike, I would want to have both feet solidly on the ground when not in motion. I am 5 11, so I am guessing that is not a problem, but I have some concerns about maneuvering. If I see the R1 spec, it does not weigh a lot more than the Bullet, some 170kgs, and its dimensions are a lot smaller. A real pocket rocket, but the rocket part is not what I am looking for!
Where can I get a test ride?! Or hear from someone that has had one, or better still, owns one?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2029830)
first thing you will hear is that it is an investment not an expense!

Bang right on the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer
As someone who has been married for 20 plus years

^^^ Experience speaks lol:

Like you said, it would be never ending topic to justify for it. Bottom line, being that, if able to afford for a SBK & meeting the family expense, just go for it. If not, keep dreaming or working towards it.

once on the move you'll rarely feel the weight of the bike.agreed it won't be as flickable as a pulsar but would do a decent job none the less.i'm 5' 11 and have half of my feet touching the ground.and my bike weighs over 320 kgs.so you'll be at ease with the bandit.

these bikes are engineering marvels.superbly balanced.so don't worry about that.you probably can go and sit and feel the weight of this bike at any showroom.i tried it at the delhi showroom.feels great.nice comfortable posture too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2029830)
Thanks for the links, but they do say what my experience does, try to straighten the bike first if you need to brake. I would never touch the front brake when I am leant over, for sure, I have been on bikes since 1977. Counter steering to avoid the obstacle, yes, front braking in a lean, no. But my unanswered question is - does ABS on the front mean that this learning is not relevant on bikes so equipped and it is safe to use the front brake when the bike is leant over in a turn.
And as far as ABS is concerned, I think what you are referring to is ABS+EBD. Does an ABS on bikes really do that transfer of force to the rear brakes thing even when you haven't touched the rear brake pedal? I would have thought that an ordinary ABS on a bike would work on just the wheel it is fitted to. But, as I have said, I don't know this subject enough, hence the question.

I was referring the ABS of CBR1000RR over here, it does put a little pressure on the rear wheels & even if you are riding hard on a track, it won't be intuitive.

I have no qualms with braking once leaned over & cornering, I have practiced it for sometime & as I want to be sure that if a d0g runs across my path, what the hell should I do, I won't 'target-fix' & look someplace else but still I would want to slow down. But here the braking has to be really progressive and even if you over cook either you will straighten up & run off the road or worst low-side.

Please get yourselves a copy of Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. The books covers all important aspects in biking like braking, steering, etc.

Must read for those who ride performance bikes on the street or the track. Highly recommended !!!

I have the David Hough books on proficient motorcycling, those are pretty good too.