Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 21:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bandit 1250/Yamaha MT01/HondaCB1000R/anything else?

After reading the recent MT01 thread, I am sorely tempted by the whole SBK thing....I doubt if I will ever be able to afford a supercar, but to get a state of the art two wheel job and the experience it will provide seems much closer/achievable - to enjoy the same level of experience on two wheels, as a supercar would on four. Not the speed part, but the ride, reliability, reserves of power for the occasional use and for just the stress free long distance riding experience it would provide. On the Bullet, there is always the feeling that at speeds of 100kmph, is something in the bike going to suffer mechanical failure, the thing vibrates so much...and on two wheels that is not such a nice feeling.

The more I read about the Bandit 1250s, the more it impresses. Imagine being able to run smoothly from as low as 45/50 kmph in top gear...not that I would hesitate to drop down a gear or two at those speeds. But even my Bullet 500 is unable to run at lower than 55/60 in fifth.

The Bandit also addresses the range issue to some degree. In touring mode in India, it should return 20 km to the litre - the latest autocarindia test claims 22. So the 19 litre tank should give a range of 350-400 kms. 500 would have been nice, but 350 is decent. And it seems like a bike that can run in the city traffic, and still do relaxed long distance trips.

And it is the cheapest of the CBUs on offer, that makes it a steal - relatively speaking of course. I suspect that of all the CBUs on sale in India, this is the most suitable for Indian conditions.

My current shortlist has it, the MT01 and the Honda CB1000R on it. All the other CBU imports seem either too exotic, pricey and way of out of my league in terms of riding skills they would require.

For sheer looks, pose value( still haven't got all that out of the system!), and uniqueness, it is still the MT01 that ticks all the boxes for me, but I can't help thinking that the Bandit would be the most pragmatic ( to the extent that these decisions can be!) of the lot for a bike that can be lived with for a few years at the least. I also guess that Suzuki India service ought to be as good as the other two.

Any comments/inputs?

PS: is the ordinary unleaded petrol available in the major cities now all 91 octane?

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th August 2010 at 21:13.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 21:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

This thread is not surprising judging by your last post on GS ferrari's thread.

I am facing exactly the same set of temptations as you are. Been researching on possible acquisitions for a while now. Here are some other bikes I think you could also consider:

Ducati Monster 796 [launching Sept I am informed; on road Mumbai apprx 9.15 lakh]
Ducati Monster 1100
Kawasaki Ninja 650R (if and when it launches)
Harley Davidson Nightster (1200)
Harley Davidson XR 1200

{The on road mumbai prices for the entire range is available at the HD showroom}. Pune in each case should be comparable to the Thane price I suppose

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th August 2010 at 21:49.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

If i were to put down my money,from the above options,i would have chosen the Bandit.
I have seen suzuki aftersales react promptly to a service request for a Intruder,and it was nice,since,the nearest dealer dealing with Suzuki big bikes was 250kms away.
and Bandit,is cheaper than the competition.
Old 14th August 2010, 22:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are rumours of the SV650, the ER6n (or f) and now the Hyosung 650 being launched here. Superbikes these most definitely aren't, but would perfectly fill my needs. Have you considered these?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th August 2010, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Penning down my 2 cents on SBKs confusion

You've whole lot of option here & infact there's a confusion in litre class market. IMO, the purpose is all that that needs to be defined. Like most of us agree here, GSFerrari's post is very tempting & every time we all come across such posts or even a motorcycle on the road, we think, what the heck are we earning for? If we can afford for a 5L car, why not a 5L motorcycle?

Meanwhile a friend of mine buys a Busa & shared his whole experience over several hours advice on how to go about things. He even uses his Busa as regular commute to office everyday. This boosted my confidence as how to go about SBKs.

An year ago, when I'd plans for HD XR1200 & had everything ready including the garage, tools, money my Wifey put forth just one point, "Do you think its justifiable to spend this huge money for oneself in a family when there're so much commitments" This gave me a point to think, if what I'm doing is a justifiable.

Considering my friend's advice versus my Wifey's points, I couldn't guage what I'm doing is right or wrong. However there're several things for which I'm searching answers for...
- Buying is one time affair, but maintenance? I'm need a whole lot of money to be shelling out in service
- Then comes the purpose; what's the purpose I'm doing by buying a SBK? A weekend ride? What for? A regular commute to office? Then I come across a whole lot of problems for which I need to paying through more than nose!!!
- Again, I don't mean that, instead of buying a 5L motorcycle, why not buy a car for family, I couldn't dismiss Wifey's point either
- So should I wait for completing or atleast partially completing my duties? By then I'm sure I can't even be driving a Nano for sure. So there's no point considering Wifey's point too.

So I've started thinking that the SBK stuff is a serious affair & most of our views are a mere infatuation or fantasy. Seriously speaking, I've been postponing to purchase a A* jacket for several months now, then comes the armour, elbow, knee & shoulder pads & the riding boots. All put together touches 15K+. Considering the price of a SBK, this is peanuts, however, when these things are being postponed, why should I hurry up on a SBK?

BTW, not sure on 796, but 696 was officially launched in India; the price of 696 is approx 9.6 Ex showroom Delhi & I guess 796 should be slightly more. Here's the thread for reference - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ati-india.html

Last edited by aargee : 14th August 2010 at 22:30. Reason: adding title
Old 15th August 2010, 01:36   #6
BHPian

In my experience- From what is available officially in India NOW, the Bandit 1250 is anyday the best value for money. I would however add if someday Suzuki decides to bring in the DL650 V-Strom, that will even push aside the Bandit in terms of true value for money & enjoyment. Take it anywhere...

As for Ducatis, it sure brings you exclusivity & super performance, but make sure you have enough cash reserves as the Italians still have long term reliability problems & parts could cost a bomb (mind you, its not the engine or gearbox that can give you headaches, but some of the smaller electrical components/sensors etc can really become a pain). If not, stay with the japanese- Anytime reliable and far less expensive to maintain. Besides, lots of mechanics who can work on them.

As for Harley Sportsters, having owned it a long while ago, let me tell you I never enjoyed it as a bike, but enjoyed more the 'Harley lifestyle' of leather jackets with pins & patches, riding in a group with lots of noise and expressing our freedom & all the crappy never ending talk about chrome & customizing etc. Riding was last priority, besides, its vibrations were really bothersome to me. If you have a chance to see even the top of the line 2010 Ultra Classic idling- just watch how the whole engine vibrates...and on sharp curves, you have to literally beg the bike to turn in the way you want.

@ Aargee (me the same Haroon that you know!)- As for wifes, they do have a rational in what they say for the good of the family. And its true, the priorities have to be made. I have also gone thru what you have mentioned. However, like you said it is better late than never for the SBK.

As for buying the gear here is my simple justification on a lighter note. Considering the Rs 15,000 gear will last you for atleast 4 years, it works out to Rs. 3,750 per year or Rs. 312.50 per month or Rs. 10.40 per day, which is like the cost of a cup of tea/coffee. Sure Rs. 10 per day is not a big price to pay for good protection. I know this is more of hypothetical example, but think it in a positive way
Old 15th August 2010, 04:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
BTW, not sure on 796, but 696 was officially launched in India; the price of 696 is approx 9.6 Ex showroom Delhi & I guess 796 should be slightly more. Here's the thread for reference - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ati-india.html
Hey - you're right but I'm coming from slightly updated info. Went to the Atria mall showroom in Bbay and picked up a price sheet a few weeks ago.

(a) I'm not completely sure of this but I don't think they actually managed to get the 696 homologated (sub - 800 cc) so while they did indeed have plans to launch it I don't think it actually materialised.

(b) Prices have reduced a little since where they were earlier. The current price sheet that they provided on their letterhead mentions about 9.15 lakh approx on road mumbai for the 796 Monster. I'll re - check when I get back to office - the sheet it lying there. I think that's pretty good value in a relative sense.
Old 15th August 2010, 05:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info Axe; I didn't know about the Duc's policies or pricing since they aren't here in South. I'd love to own a 696, but, Duc's are well known for their high maintenance & expensive cost on the spares. But for sure, they'll be a head turner once on the road. One word, admiration guaranteed. The spec of 696 reads that it produces 80HP, which is way too awesome.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
There are rumours of the SV650, the ER6n (or f) and now the Hyosung 650 being launched here. Superbikes these most definitely aren't, but would perfectly fill my needs. Have you considered these?

Regards
Sutripta
Just read the reviews of the Hyosungs - if I was to get a litre class tech filled Japanese SBK by spending 3/4 lakhs more, why spend Rs 6 lakhs for a Hyosung 650?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

An year ago, when I'd plans for HD XR1200 & had everything ready including the garage, tools, money my Wifey put forth just one point, "Do you think its justifiable to spend this huge money for oneself in a family when there're so much commitments" This gave me a point to think, if what I'm doing is a justifiable.
Each of us has the spending capacity and priorities in life that has to drive the decision, and the decision is unique to each person and must be respected accordingly. And the first thing is that by each person's criteria, the decision has to be justifiable to him/her and immediate family. Equally, there is also the risk inherent in riding any bike in India, and SBKs are by no means less risky - are perhaps riskier in terms of the speeds they make so easily. The assumption on the thread is that one has been through that thinking process and is then figuring out how to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This thread is not surprising judging by your last post on GS ferrari's thread.

I am facing exactly the same set of temptations as you are. Been researching on possible acquisitions for a while now. Here are some other bikes I think you could also consider:

Ducati Monster 796 [launching Sept I am informed; on road Mumbai apprx 9.15 lakh]
Ducati Monster 1100
Kawasaki Ninja 650R (if and when it launches)
Harley Davidson Nightster (1200)
Harley Davidson XR 1200

{The on road mumbai prices for the entire range is available at the HD showroom}. Pune in each case should be comparable to the Thane price I suppose
I am not so sure about HD reliability. Also, the bikes do not have the latest tech and having experienced a brand new HD in 2007, I wasn't convinced about the fit/finish/refinement. The Ducati 796 sounds very interesting, and will have unique styling, detailing and tech. But I am pretty sure that the Japanese bikes will be more reliable, and I have doubts about Ducati service capability and reach. I am not sure the Kawasaki will be good for long distance rides.

Any one has any update on the 91 octane question in my opening post?

Last edited by Sawyer : 15th August 2010 at 06:12.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

All 3 of these bikes can easily cruise at 200 all day long without breaking a sweat.

Bandit is more bike than you need when you ride in the city. Probably the best for touring.

CB1000RR is the closest to a sport bike and you can enjoy corner carving as well. Not to mention Honda's build quality is unmatchable.

The MT of course is something else. Its a one of a kind bike and would be my choice as an all rounder.

Having said that, bike are like jeans. Make sure you try it out and suits you before taking the plunge.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
All 3 of these bikes can easily cruise at 200 all day long without breaking a sweat.

Bandit is more bike than you need when you ride in the city. Probably the best for touring.

CB1000RR is the closest to a sport bike and you can enjoy corner carving as well. Not to mention Honda's build quality is unmatchable.

The MT of course is something else. Its a one of a kind bike and would be my choice as an all rounder.

Having said that, bike are like jeans. Make sure you try it out and suits you before taking the plunge.
Heart says the Honda, brain says Bandit and the MT01 touches the soul! Cruising all day at 200 though - where can one do that in India and live to tell the tale?! I haven't the skills nor the appetite for the risk. My intent in doing this is to experience the fit/finish, the ride/handling and to have the power reserves to do fast 4/5/6th gear roll on roll of bursts to allow for safe riding at cruising speeds of 120/130 on roads such as sections of the GQ. If I find parts where I can see a long way in the 180 degree forward direction, and the road surface merits it, maybe an occasional surge to 150/160! In my parts of the country, I can't see that surge lasting for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Just read the reviews of the Hyosungs - if I was to get a litre class tech filled Japanese SBK by spending 3/4 lakhs more, why spend Rs 6 lakhs for a Hyosung 650?
At those prices, agreed. But I don't think these simpler bikes will be priced so high.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th August 2010, 12:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quoting from GSFerrari's post from his thread:

"When it comes to selecting a bike for India here are my criteria:

1. It HAS to be air-cooled if it is more than 600cc multi-cylinder.

2. Compression ratio lower than 11:1 - otherwise running lower octane fuels will be difficult. Lower the compression ratio, lower the power output but vehicle is less sensitive to fuel quality. MT-01 has a comp ratio of 8.4:1
"

I guess if you apply this the options would narrow down even further. It rules out the Kawi 650r as well as the Ducatis. The advantage with the HDs is that it meets the above conditions but your point on reliability on HDs is of course noted. You'll need to consider whether your HD concerns remain strong enough to ignore the fact that its among the very small list of contenders that meets the above requirements.

I'm sure even the Honda 1000R has a higher compression ratio.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to your FE query. Why don't you search through some of the Laura 1.8TSI and Superb threads. Fuel octane has been discussed in some of them and maybe you'll find your answer there.

I also just realised that since you're in Chennai, the Ducati with its 2 limited service outlets (bbay / del) is probably not as convenient as many of the other options. HD, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda etc are probably better suited from that standpoint.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:01   #14
BHPian

Was watching auto shows on tv and one car and bike featured a honda vfr 1200 priced at 17 lakhs. Its also an automatic with a vw dsg like gearing. Its definitely worth checking out.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Was watching auto shows on tv and one car and bike featured a honda vfr 1200 priced at 17 lakhs. Its also an automatic with a vw dsg like gearing. Its definitely worth checking out.
There is also the Yamaha VMax, but I draw the personal line at the spend on this insanity at around Rs 12 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
I would however add if someday Suzuki decides to bring in the DL650 V-Strom, that will even push aside the Bandit in terms of true value for money & enjoyment. Take it anywhere...

Other makes may also have good options in the 600/700 cc class, I agree.

the Italians still have long term reliability problems & parts could cost a bomb

I agree, that is why I doubt I will go the Ducati way, even the "cheap" Monster 796 when launched this year.

If you have a chance to see even the top of the line 2010 Ultra Classic idling- just watch how the whole engine vibrates...and on sharp curves, you have to literally beg the bike to turn in the way you want.

I agree!! With the not quite there fit/finish/reliability comment as well. It is an American Bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
At those prices, agreed. But I don't think these simpler bikes will be priced so high.

Regards
Sutripta
Any update on when any of the Japanese are bringing in any of the 600/700 cc class bikes?

Most Viewed