Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 20:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuzz View Post
EITMS - ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
is the answer you are looking for, when activated it shuts one of the two valves in the cylinder when on idle and as soon as you put it in gear the valve opens. Hence, saving you from the immense heat given out by the engine.
Thank you, Thank you & Thank you; I appreciate your help from bottom of my heart

Quote:
As far as the sound is concerned it is not like that of a regular HD
Yap I guessed that & if I'm not wrong, V-Rod should be having a regular 2 pin crankshaft unlike others in the stable with single pin. Not sure though.

Quote:
Once you areon the bike the looks are the biggest head turners, and as a rider I would the acceleration and torque is the biggest positive.
Yap; they spent a whole lot of 7-8 years; IIRC, the project started somewhere during 95 & ended in early 2000. It was a real revolution for HD.

Quote:
Hope this information helps let me know if you have any other queries.
Are you sure? I'll keep you busy with so many question & you'll get fed up with me

Anyway here's one for you - which are the two valves that shuts off? Is it two from each cylinder? If its one intake & one exhaust, then, wouldn't the heat increase because the exhaust gas escapes less causing more congestion? Also wouldn't the engine stop after idling sometime because the gases cannot escape soon? Also, how's the back pressure handled?
Old 5th October 2010, 21:14   #17
BHPian

Here is an excerpt from the Official HD website, they released this newsletter a while back. Here is the full link http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

EITMS Reflash
Harley-Davidson is offering a free, dealer-installed software upgrade called the Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) for all 2007 and 2008 Touring models. On 2008 model Touring models produced after December 3, 2007, the EITMS is already installed and ready for you to activate using a simple throttle activated switch. When you are stopped and at idle, simply push the throttle forward (closed) to roll off position and hold. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise control indicator will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled). Repeat the procedure to toggle between the two.
During hot idle, or when the motorcycle is off-throttle and running at hot temperatures, EITMS shuts off fuel to the engine’s rear cylinder, leaving it to idle on the front cylinder only. Without combustion, the rear cylinder and exhaust header will begin to cool, bringing relief to the rider (and passenger) soon after. Once the rear cylinder cools to a predetermined temperature, or as soon as the rider accelerates, both cylinders resume operation. And by maintaining constant rpm during rear cylinder "shutdown," transitions between one and two cylinder operation are nearly seamless.
EITMS is purely for rider comfort. When it activates and "shuts off" the rear cylinder, it’s not because the motor is overheating. It’s designed to reduce the heat radiating from the rear cylinder to the rider.
Once an appointment is made, the EITMS software reflash can be performed for free by any H-D dealer, usually while you wait. If, for any reason, the rider does not like the EITMS, it can be returned to the previous mapping for free.
For information on installation of EITMS, see your H-D dealer.

Hope this answers most of your questions. EITMS has its pros n cons, I have checked on many HD forums and read some mixed reviews. I guess its entirely upto you to try it and then make the decision for its installation.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2010 at 21:28. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors, also use Preview before Submitting post. Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 14:45   #18
gou
BHPian

Belated birthday wishes @maximuzz!! Could there be a better gift?

Man you are a definitely a damn lucky chap. I wish I had friend like this. Feeling very jealous .

0-100 in first gear!!! Man that would be so much fun..
Old 12th October 2010, 12:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Maximuz - Thanks for sharing the technical info; yes I've read this in one of the forums about the technical way it works & the mixed feeling.

I too have an apprehension on this because, the valves would be opening & closing for no reason & the authentic "potato" sound cannot be produced when the single cylinder fires I guess. May be only "pot" with the missing "ato" sound. If you happen to experience ETIMS with the nightster, pls share your experience.

Once again, Thanks @Maximuz for sharing the info.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:28   #20
BHPian

Belated happy b'day and congratulations on the ride maximuzz!

However, I have a question - was the bike that you drove for the day a test model or one from the regular lot; curious to know if someone may be paying for a test bike as your bike in the pics has a CH temporary number?
Old 13th October 2010, 11:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Maximuz - Thanks for sharing the technical info; yes I've read this in one of the forums about the technical way it works & the mixed feeling.

I too have an apprehension on this because, the valves would be opening & closing for no reason & the authentic "potato" sound cannot be produced when the single cylinder fires I guess. May be only "pot" with the missing "ato" sound. If you happen to experience ETIMS with the nightster, pls share your experience.

Once again, Thanks @Maximuz for sharing the info.
I am glad to help you out there and I will surely let you know of the EITMS experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Belated happy b'day and congratulations on the ride maximuzz!

However, I have a question - was the bike that you drove for the day a test model or one from the regular lot; curious to know if someone may be paying for a test bike as your bike in the pics has a CH temporary number?
Thanks for the wishes . It was a test model solely kept for testdrives like other few testdrive bikes. They are not for sale as far as I know.

Last edited by maximuzz : 13th October 2010 at 11:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks