Team-BHP - Impulsive Buying: Booked The Ducati Monster 796 - RED!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Impulsive Buying: Booked The Ducati Monster 796 - RED!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/90897-impulsive-buying-booked-ducati-monster-796-red.html)

I dont know if this is the right thread for the post, if it isnt ...moderator please move it to the right one.

I always wanted to own a SBK like most of us do. Few years back the bug really bit me hard and i was going crazy to own an SBK but the cost as well as the whole customs thing kept me back. A year back I was considering for the Suzuki Intruder but it was way out of budget & yet again I had to suppess my desires.

On the 17th of Otober, I got the news that one of my friends had booked the Ducati 1198s & my initial reaction was like.....Ducati = over priced (heard it was 48 lakhs). To my surprise he informed that the bike was of 19 Lakhs. As the conversation went on, he informed me about the monster 796 & its price (9.17 on road - Mumbai Registration) and right there he had my full attention. I went back home to check out the bike on the Internet & for the price it did pleased me.

So I planned to visit the showroom at Atria - Worli on 21st of october. I had called them to inform that I would be coming right at 7pm as they close by then. The sales lady informed me that she would wait. I reached the showroom & there it was standing in bright Red colour. Without wasting time , I quickly climbed on the bike and asked the Sales girl to start the bike which she did. The bike was started & I just gave a bit of accelerator & I was taken back by the sound & felt the power right there. And then my worst habit till date kicked me real hard & I just removed my cheque book from my car & got back inside to give the first booking amount.

Frankly speaking, I dont have much knowledge about SBK's so I have come here for all the expert suggestions. The bike will be delivered around 20th December 2010. I want you guys to help me out with your valuable suggestions about the bike & the brand. Please do let me know if it is a good buy or not. I have opened this thread to gain as much knowledge on SKB's & the Ducati monster as I can.

It is an impulsive buy & it has wiped my bank account clean but still I am loving it. So please do help with your suggestions.

Wow, congrats Nadim ! For most of us here, this is stuff dreams are made off ! Do keep us updated on the delivery dates and of course, the first review when you do get her !

Congrats on your buy Nadim!

This thread would definitely be useful to you :

ARTICLE: How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Thanks guys, V12 -I am having trouble opening the link. It seems quite useful. Let me know.

Congrats nadim clap:, the bike looks awesome. I am waiting for your first review. Kindly give some details about the specifications.

Ride safe

wow that is some impulsive purchase. sexy ride man. I guess this one will be treated with more care then wife/gf for quite sometime.

Cheers

Here are the specification:-

Engine
Type
L-Twin cylinder, 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic, air cooled

Displacement
803cc :Shockked:

Bore x Stroke
88 x 66 mm

Compression ratio
11:1

Power
64kW - 87hp @ 8250rpm

Torque
8.0kgm - 58lb-ft @ 6250rpm

Fuel injection
Siemens electronic fuel injection, 45mm throttle body

Exhaust
Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter with twin lambda probes

Transmission

Gearbox
6 speed

Ratio
1st 32/13, 2nd 30/18, 3rd 28/21, 4th 26/23, 5th 22/22, 6th 24/26

Primary drive
Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.85:1

Final drive
Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 39

Clutch
APTC wet multiplate with hydraulic control

Chassis

Frame
Tubular steel Trellis frame

Wheelbase
1450mm (57.1in)

Rake
24°

Front suspension
Marzocchi 43mm upside-down forks

Front wheel travel
120mm (4.7in)

Front wheel
Y-shaped, 5-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x17

Front Tyre
120/70 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso

Rear suspension
Progressive linkage with preload and rebound Sachs adjustable monoshock

Rear wheel travel
148mm (5.8in)

Rear wheel
Y-shaped, 5-spoke in light alloy 5.50 x 17

Rear tyre
180/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso

Front brake
2 x 320mm discs, 4-piston radial caliper

Rear brake
245mm disc, 2-piston caliper

Fuel tank capacity
15l - 3.8gallon (US) / 13.5l - 3.6gallon (US) ABS version

Dry weight
167kg (369lb) / 169kg (373lb) ABS version

Warranty
2 years unlimited mileage

Versions
Dual seat

Seat height
800mm (31.5in)

Congrats Nadim! I was speaking about her (monster m796) a few seconds before I opened Team-BHP. I am so happy for you! All the very best and wishing you great times with the Monster.

I had decided to buy it in Aug and even spoke to Nikhat from Bombay showroom. However, a personal emergency took away my downpayment. Will try again after sometime :)

Sriramv - It was Nikhat who helped me out with the booking. When you had cancelled the booking how much did they charged you for the same ( something I forgot to ask..thanks to my Impulse buying habbit :-( ).

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadim_90210 (Post 2113923)
It is an impulsive buy & it has wiped my bank account clean but still I am loving it. So please do help with your suggestions.

Congrats on the fabulous buy Nadeem, I am sure it will be worth it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 2114038)
Congrats Nadim! I was speaking about her (monster m796) a few seconds before I opened Team-BHP. I am so happy for you! All the very best and wishing you great times with the Monster.

I had decided to buy it in Aug and even spoke to Nikhat from Bombay showroom. However, a personal emergency took away my downpayment. Will try again after sometime :)

Dude, you know what? As soon as I read the title my first reaction was, "I am sure this would be Sriram" :D.

Congrats Nadim..was wondering about it a couple of days back, when i Saw the OTR price for it on the new xbhp mag..

Quote:

he informed me about the monster 796 & its price (9.17 on road - Mumbai Registration)

July price was 8.82L - Price increased in a couple of months??

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 2114046)
Congrats on the fabulous buy Nadeem, I am sure it will be worth it :)

Dude, you know what? As soon as I read the title my first reaction was, "I am sure this would be Sriram" :D.

@sammy, he he- I thought the same too! LOL - I was pleasantly surprised to see the thread just a few seconds after I spoke to my friend about M796. Are you back in Bangalore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadim_90210 (Post 2114040)
Sriramv - It was Nikhat who helped me out with the booking. When you had cancelled the booking how much did they charged you for the same ( something I forgot to ask..thanks to my Impulse buying habbit :-( ).

Things happened before I made the booking! (I also had started talking to the finance guys) - But, Ducati India is like marriage - You cannot break it without risking a huge alimony :D You can kiss your booking money goodbye if you cancel the booking (since they order it from Italy and get it shipped here - I know that this reason may not be fair from customer's perspective)

So, let this impulse buy remain that way! I have done enough research to call myself a PhD in Ducati Monster M796 lol: - You've made a right decision. You'll have tons of fun for sure!

Just keep us posted!

Quote:

First of all congrats on the duke. Its the Ferrari on two wheels. ;)

Do invest in a good quality helmet such as Arai, Shoei, Shark, Nolan, HJC, etc., riding jacket with built in armor for the shoulder and elbows. Buy a CE approved back protector (jackets come with foam back protector but wont suffice) and a good pair of riding boots from either Sidi or Alpinestars.

Read up on ducati forums for issues, maintenance tips, etc.

All the best and ride safe mate. :thumbs up

^^ perfectly said.. it is a exotic among bikes unlike other SBKs. 2 year unlimited warranty sounds sweet too - especially if you are planning to pile on the miles. and yeah a very big CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Just enjoy it nadim!! I know you are going to do a lot of reading up since the wait is a long one. But trust me, when you get on it and ride it home, you are going to forget most of it and just be grinning for a few days!! Like the new vista ad :) Only then are you going to really need all the suggestions.
Congratulations!! I personally feel it is a very sensible choice for our conditions. Have fun with it.