Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 14:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg. 3

Aditya, I wouldn't be spending my big ones on a Hyosung for sure.

Suggest you wait (either for duties to be lowered OR to save more) to buy an I-4.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Aditya, I wouldn't be spending my big ones on a Hyosung for sure.

Suggest you wait (either for duties to be lowered OR to save more) to buy an I-4.
Ah. The eternal dream. I'd love to get an inline four... anyday. Its a long cherished dream and figures high up on my wishlist. Would definitely make sense to save for a few more years and get a legal 600 (assuming that we'd get them legally a few years down the line and the sub 800 rule is scrapped).

But the build quality of hyosung's are sometimes exaggerated. Its not that bad and they have improvised a lot in recent times. That said, lets hope someone from the fraternity gets one so we can check it out closely.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:54   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
That said, lets hope someone from the fraternity gets one so we can check it out closely.
A one off case. No. Lets see the whole bunch

I hope either the 800cc rule, or taxes or both are lowered in coming year or two.

Its not that I can't afford. I wish to buy a legal M'cycle by paying reasonable duties, I don't expect them to scrap the duties to zero at one go. But 35%? Its applicable for luxury items such as yachts. They can consider this.

Even if I wish to buy a bigger bike, service would be a problem for me.

Lets sit on the fence & watch
Old 17th April 2011, 15:23   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Confirmed! The GT650R and ST 7 are going to be launched on the 20th of April.
Old 18th April 2011, 03:53   #35
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic, so it is finally happening. Every premium bike manafacturer, especially the four Japanese majors are going to watch the Hyosung story very closely. A lot has been projected about this segment over the years, and I am very anxious to know how the Korean twins are going to do around here.
If anything, Garware has it all in place to hope for a good start, both motorcycles are great looking and equipped with a motor most in India would be extremely satisfied with and from what I have read Hyosung has really upped the game with respect to build quality too.
Another bonus is that Garware is the first mover in this segment and has a huge market share to garner if the bikes really prove their worth, and can maintain a satisfactory level of A.S.S., something Kinetic really struggled with through their alliance with Hyosung in India.

manson.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have read Hyosung has really upped the game with respect to build quality too.
ACI's road test report points out just the opposite. As per them the ST 7 uses sub standard quality rubber and the brand which you haven't heard of.

They aren't satisfied with engine refinement. Quality & fit & finish is below expectations/standard.

Ride is poor with just about average handling & braking.

The only positive to which I can attribute is,(of this joint venture & launch) they might pave the way for Japs to come out with their potent sub 800cc Motorcycles.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:18   #37
BHPian

If Garware can come out with a <800cc bike, why aren't the Japs allowed to do the same?
Old 20th April 2011, 17:41   #38
BHPian

Seems the bikes are already launched.
Anybody has the pics or videos of the launch?
Old 20th April 2011, 17:50   #39
BHPian

The Hyosung bikes have been launched and they are priced ok. The question though is in what numbers would these bikes sell.

Prices courtesy CNB's FB update:

Hyosung bikes launched: GT650R: Rs 475,000 (Single Tone) Rs 490,000 (Double Tone). ST 7: Rs 590,000 (all prices ex-showroom Delhi) Team CNB

Cheers,

Last edited by Ardy : 20th April 2011 at 18:00.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:16   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Launched!

- GT650R (Sports bike) and ST 7 (Cruiser bike) to be presently available in 5 cities (Pune, Mumbai, NCR, Bangalore and Goa).

- Bookings open from 20th April 2011.

- The GT650 R, 650cc fully faired sports bike is priced at Rs. 4,75,000 (ex-showroom-Delhi) for single tone colour and Rs. 4,90,000 (ex-showroom-Delhi) for the dual tone colour.

- The ST 7, a 700cc cruiser is priced at Rs. 5,69,000 (ex-showroom-Delhi).

- Deliveries of these bikes will start by mid of June.

- GT 650 R = 6 color options, ST7 = 3 color options.

- The dealers appointed will be the sole retailers for Garware-Hyosung motorcycles. Garware Motors has plans to open 5 more dealerships in Hyderabad, Cochin, Chennai, Ahmedabad & Chandigarh within 2 months.

- Garware Motors has tied up with HDFC bank for bike financing.

Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg. 3-bike-post-card-gt650r-red.jpg

Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg. 3-bike-post-card-st7-black.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 13:29   #41
BHPian

Re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg.

Thank you GTO for some details. Saw the launch news article in newspaper in Delhi. Other than information on price and pics of bikes plus lady garware and Hyosung rep, no other detail was published. Wish someone could update some information on the bikes regarding tech features, ride and handling attributes ( test ride report) please.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:26   #42
BHPian

Re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg.

Long post but it's worth the attempt if it helps! : Just a word of caution to potential buyers, I read somewhere that they aren't giving out test rides, and am not sure whether they have an at par simulator in place. I personally wouldnt go out and buy a bike (or car) for any price in those conditions.

^^ This has nothing to do with the motorcycles, Hyosung is a capable company making very capable machines almost at par with its competition, but that is secondary to what I or someone maybe wanting out of a bike only to find out AFTER I've bought it that it wasnt what I was looking for. It is quite a sizeable sum to spend on a machine.

Am not sure if the Jap imports offer test rides (I know HD does, and Honda has a simulator which is nothing like the CBR in the flesh), but then they can at least get away with the brand name and scores of international reviews and competition racing (a luxury which a Hyosung does not have, yet) to offer as a feel.

Perhaps they need to rethink their strategy or be open to giving out 10 bikes each to ten cities for an enthusiast to try it out.

PS - on this note, another word of caution, take whatever the media is saying about it with a pinch of salt. I've been a part of it, I know what happens, and no offense, but when an experienced editor in chief, having been with all the top Indian auto mags, calls a Yamaha R15 a Superbike (I have the newspaper clipping, just for an occassional laugh), and I see full page ads for a whole quarter, I know what's going on. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Rather than spend money on a good bike and find out you wanted something else (lesser or more) thereby doing injustice to a capable machine as well as your hard earned bucks, please try to insist for a test and the assurance of quality A-S-S so that you can enjoy the experience of owning motorcycle by one of the most underrated marques in the motorcycling world.

It would be sad to see poor ownership reviews and the motorcycle getting a bad name for no fault of it just because the parent company goofed up or the buyer didnt know what he was buying with the Media playing the quintessential 3 witches to Macbeth.
DevilsOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 16:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Nice post. I am personally not a fan of the Hyosung, but do reckon that they have some lookers. The Comet failed to instil any excitement when it came out last time, and I had the same feeling this time around.

But after seeing the pics posted above, I was honestly surprised and thought maybe, why not?

Then I have the other thought. A Hyosung for 5 Lakhs!!!! I would anyday go in with eyes and senses shut for a Harley, that is also available in the same range and capacity. Period
Old 21st April 2011, 16:39   #44
BHPian

A lot was expected of the Comet and some of the points above were responsible for it failing to take off, it was just what the doctor ordered in the fledgling days of the Pulsar and Karizma setting the streets on fire. The bike was actually quite nice and well suited for Indian conditions, sad story.

True about the HD statement. Anyone would be better served buying a piece of history even if is the evenly priced and somewhat suspicious SuperLow. It's got the badge, simple. And with some basic mods, the looks can be taken care of, and power too.

I dont and will never own a HD for the singular reason of need for speed, in fact I am sick and tired and will probably sock the next guy who points a finger at my bike and says "Harley!" That's the HD presence for you. As a brand, I think HD deserves credit for sustaining, whether old wine in a new bottle or not, they know what they are doing, and they know their brand.

Speed or not, issues with reliability or not, poor build quality or not, put a Vance and Hines to your 6 lakh HD and the Hyosung suddenly seems to be what it is, a capable Korean Marque playing catch up to the Japs (and catching up fast). Remember, for all their tech, the Japs went back to the basics of chrome and retro with ALL their cruisers to compete in HD territory, and won, but by using the HD philosophy.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
I read somewhere that they aren't giving out test rides, and am not sure whether they have an at par simulator in place.
Confirmed from the Blore dealer, there will be no test rides on these bikes. Not sure of a simulator though.

Quote:
Am not sure if the Jap imports offer test rides (I know HD does, and Honda has a simulator which is nothing like the CBR in the flesh), but then they can at least get away with the brand name and scores of international reviews and competition racing (a luxury which a Hyosung does not have, yet) to offer as a feel.
AFAIK, only HD is offering test rides. They take a copy of your credit card and signatures on an indemnity form and a copy of the DL before handing over the keys of the test ride bike.

Even the ninja did not offer any test rides. When i walked into the showroom for the first time i asked for a test ride and was told no. Asked to start the engine so i could hear it and was told no. Asked permission to sit on the bike and get a feel and i was told no. At this point, i said i need to feel the ergonomics and seating position etc. before i decide to buy and I'm not buying it just because its the worlds best 250. Thats when i was allowed to sit on the bike. They figured i was serious and obliged. They did not allow others to sit after i was done though.

IIRC the test rides were offered nearly a year after the launch and sales of the bike.

Pricing is what Hyosung is playing with right now. Absolutely no competition and a near affordable price tag for a big sports machine will see these bikes selling. Test rides will probably ensure more sales or quicker bookings etc. but with the risk involved, word of mouth marketing is better and thats what they are banking on right now.

Quote:
Perhaps they need to rethink their strategy or be open to giving out 10 bikes each to ten cities for an enthusiast to try it out.
Thats a huge risk IMO. As stated above, the reason why test rides were not given is due to a fact that most kids out of college (apologies for the generalization, but this is a fact and i have seen a lot of young kids asking for test rides during my umpteen no. of visits during the course of my buying experience) want to ride it. Its risky not just for the bike but for the rider too. Who knows if they can ride or control a machine that powerful? How can you be sure they wont crash? Thats too much risk.

Even HD screens its customers like i've mentioned and test rides are still not offered to every visitor to the showroom. If they have doubts they deny, they play hard to get and make the party wait endlessly.

If the market responds well Hyosung might offer test rides in the future. Its too early to comment on their strategy at this point.

Quote:
another word of caution, take whatever the media is saying about it with a pinch of salt.
+1. very true.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st April 2011 at 17:44. Reason: added more info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks