Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 18:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg.

the Hyosung ST7 looks huge and way better than than the harley sportster imo .

the hyosung dealer in ncr will be at gurgaon , golf course road near the ducati showroom .
Old 21st April 2011, 19:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Long post but it's worth the attempt if it helps! : Just a word of caution to potential buyers, I read somewhere that they aren't giving out test rides, and am not sure whether they have an at par simulator in place. I personally wouldnt go out and buy a bike (or car) for any price in those conditions.
Its not unusual. I haven't seen many US dealers offer test rides either. Some of these literbikes are pushing 180 bhp and can do 0-100 in 2.xx seconds.

You have to pretty much rely on honest and detailed reviews to reach your decision.
Old 21st April 2011, 21:57   #48
BHPian

nAditya: Am not so sure buddy, whilst I completely agree with the pitfalls of offering test rides on expensive machinery, I also know that Hyosung does not have the luxury that the Japs have. As MPower above says, they dont offer tests in the US either and consumers have to rely on reviews, however, there ARE reviews for your R1s and CBRs and Gixxers.. scores of them. How many road tests or reviews are available for a Hyosung to compare from? A few (including a Moto-Usa or an MCN)

So whilst a reader or buyer can get an edge of the seat experience reading the Moto Usa Superbike smackdown, he wont know how a Hyosung is because it isnt featured in tests such as the smackdown.

THIS is where Hyosung can hit the nail on the head, stand up and be different and say Hey, guess what? We offer test rides so you can actually ride what you want to spend on. To me that goes a long way in brand building, confidence building and connecting, not to mention other PR related plusses (if not tests then how about a road show where 3 bikes (1 for tests + 1 spare + 1 contingency, am sure they can spare 3 bikes!!!!) can tour the country giving the same college students and even working professionals an opportunity to ride it. They can target their key demograph and maybe even convert a non believer or two. Hyosung the brand, needs to do something out of the box if it has to start denting the sales of the Japs internationally.

These are your out of the box BBM (brand building measures) in a country where you already have a shady (Kinetic fiasco with Comet/Aquila A-S-S) reputation. As for giving tests at the showroom, why not go the HD way and take precautions and THEN give out tests, perhaps a pillion ride with an in house tester doing the riding, perhaps the buyer itself riding with the sales exec seated pillion to ensure basic safety is adhered to.

The reason am stressing on it is that these machines have the opportunity to shape the future of motorcycling in India considering the price range, if they do it right, it can create a phenom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its not unusual. I haven't seen many US dealers offer test rides either. Some of these literbikes are pushing 180 bhp and can do 0-100 in 2.xx seconds.

You have to pretty much rely on honest and detailed reviews to reach your decision.
And there is a LOT of that available for your HondaSuzuKawaYams and Italians. Not to mention the fact that a large %age of the buyers are already through a system of the 250cc learners and are motorcycling literate enough to even understand the reviews/tests or what they are looking for from their next bike (naked roadster to fully faired supersport).

These bikes have been around in the US and other countries for a while too, that itself helps educating prospective buyers who are used to seeing them at the pub/motel/cafe.

Also, a lot of the buyers are those that upgrade or exhange too (so they at least have a general idea of what to expect from each marque)

A Hyosung just doesnt have that luxury and I would be pleasantly surprised if they picked up the gauntlet and did the undone. I know it wont be happening, but if someone from Garware chances on this and can pull it off, then we are looking at a pioneer who can change the way the game is played.

Why are all my posts turning into a thesis! Got to stop. From now on its just one liners

An OT question, is it in some way an infringement of the board rules if I edit my signature to include "Hunting for an 04 ZX10R or 00 ZX12R, exchange possible" ? Havent had much luck so far, tried posting a detailed new topic regarding that but it hasnt made it to the tabloids yet.

Last edited by manson : 28th April 2011 at 19:17.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:18   #49
BHPian

The ST7 looks neat. and i second Devil's own. I wouldnt trust any brand that doesnt offer me the touch and feel factor before paying up.
Again it would be really interesting to see how this segment looks up.
But it sure looks promising for a bike lover like me to see the Harley's and other big boys looking at India with 500cc plus monsters.
Would my neighbourhood mechanic touch this though for a tuneup ??
I wouldnt like to be stranded near Vapi with no one to turn to
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Where is the bangy showroom come/ing up?

I think it has to do with volume of TD'ers than the price that showrooms turn down such requests. Many bike dealers dont give TDs, and even if they do, it is for around 250 meters My RTR-Fi TD was one such.

Do even the top end car showrooms show this bias? I think it is more to do with how one (buyer) approaches the dealer than anything else.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Where is the bangy showroom come/ing up?

I think it has to do with volume of TD'ers than the price that showrooms turn down such requests. Many bike dealers dont give TDs, and even if they do, it is for around 250 meters My RTR-Fi TD was one such.

Do even the top end car showrooms show this bias? I think it is more to do with how one (buyer) approaches the dealer than anything else.
I got a call from Anand, who is incharge of the showroom - The showroom should be up in 10 days (according to him) - IIRC, it is near Lalbagh.

I am not sure about the TD part - You might have to see the bike and decide
Old 28th April 2011, 16:40   #52
BHPian

I went the Pune showroom Of garware - hyosung motors now.
Around 4 GT 650 R and 3 ST 7 were on display.
GT 650R: 5.4 L on road
ST 7 : 6.5 L on road (dint hear it properly as i was keen on the GT)

It seems they are bound to provide service for 10 years. As the bikes are ARI registered. (Dont know what is ARI)

Finance
Available by HDFC - 30% downpayment, 70 % funding.
i.e around 1.65 L downpayment, and around 10k as EMI for 4 years.

Look and Feel :
GT 650R really looks good in flesh.
ST 7 looked okay. I'm not a fan of too much chrome.
Someone ignited both the bikes, the exhaust note was also good.
6 colours available.
The white was not on display.

Booking :
50000 INR is the booking amount.
Current stock is over.
So if we book now, we'll get the bike at June end 2011.

Service :
They would be providing the service, which is near to the show room.
I enquired about the service of older comet 250. Seems they have given a request and soon it might get approved.

Guess, I need to save now
Got only these information and Sorry did not click any pics.

EDIT - bangalore showroom is coming up in May 1st week 2011

Last edited by mikon : 28th April 2011 at 16:44. Reason: information
Old 28th April 2011, 22:05   #53
BHPian

lalbagh road it is for bangalore i am told. got an email that the opening scheduled for this month end has been delayed (no surprises here) by 2 weeks so i guess that mid may month would be likely.

met this guy kumar who at the moment seems to be handling the bangalore enquiries, said that test rides are not available for safety reasons (of the bike, rider, sales person & other road users i guess!) at the showroom but the plan is to have a weekly sunday test ride as a group of prospective buyers at a designated spot in the outskirts of bangalore in a controlled environment (wonder how that can be achieved in india?).

anyway, i appreciate the effort and this "unique" strategy for test rides by hyosung.

and by the way, st7 is my cup of tea cos my beer belly has a nice big tank where it can rest when i am riding!
Old 28th April 2011, 22:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

All said & done this is indeed a good news. The Hyosung's have been good machines & were only marred by poor After Sales Service. If the Gareware's can take care of this then there is no reason why it should not sell.

The bigger Kwacker can also spoil the party for Hyosung if it is priced competitively.

Almost daily I see a Red Hyosung 650R here in US & it does look nice.
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The bigger Kwacker can also spoil the party for Hyosung if it is priced competitively.

Almost daily I see a Red Hyosung 650R here in US & it does look nice.
Just remembered that side profile of 650 GTR looks so much like Honda RC51. Adding a pic for reference and drool.
Attached Thumbnails
Garware to sell Hyosung 650 - 700 cc motorcycles. EDIT : Launched! Details on Pg. 3-2006hondarc51a.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2011, 23:24   #56
Team-BHP Support

ACI's impressions

ACI has tested the 650-R.

As I said earlier, the problem of quality remains which is evident from their riding impressions.

The bike's fueling is erratic & it idles nervously at 3,000 revs

Clutch is heavy & handling is passable (its a sportsbike for heaven's sake). Braking is good and mid-range is nice, but hates to be revved (its a twin & a Hyosung)

I had known this all along as for nothing the Hyosung isn't as popular or doesn't rake in nos as it should world-wide.

Maybe a web-site or two may praise it like no other, but they are being sponsored & so its understandable. This is where Team-Bhp's review will come in handy.

I won't put my hard earned money for a manufacturer which abandoned its enthusiastic owners who paid ~1.8L to be left behind with no service support? (Kinetic Hyosung partnered GT-250R) Is this what you deserve?

I would suggest all to wait for other Motorcycles.

ACI's ST-7's review too pointed to the same quality issues & minor glitches in their April '11 ride-report.
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:22   #57
BHPian

given2fly: Sorry to disagree with you my friend, but the GT650R looks nothing like the RC51, if anything, its a mishmash of a lot of older capable machines (lights = benelli tornado tre 1130, tank = triumph daytona 955i, tail = slightly modified version of a Honda VFR 800 etc etc etc..)

Sheel : The difference in fit and finish is to be expected considering that it retails worldwide for lesser than better finished japs, which in turn retail lesser than better finished german/italians.

As for the power delivery/speed etc, its not a supersport, its not even a sports bike. It is at best a good Sport tourer. Aftersales is a question which can be answered only post sales, although history is poor and sometimes repeats, it would be prudent to wait and watch.

From your pointers, the injection seems to be dubious.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
As for the power delivery/speed etc, its not a supersport, its not even a sports bike. It is at best a good Sport tourer. Aftersales is a question which can be answered only post sales, although history is poor and sometimes repeats, it would be prudent to wait and watch.

From your pointers, the injection seems to be dubious.
As far as the ergonomics go , its a supersports and not a sports tourer. It does handle like a super sport and is very stable in corners.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:31   #59
BHPian

niks_devil666 - a Supersport isnt about ergonomics my friend, it is about 600cc (if I4) to 750 cc (if V) of raw power putting out more than 100hp at the rear wheel with razor sharp (not stable in corners, but razor sharp flickability through corners) handling. While that is not defined on paper, it is a well acknowledged industry norm.

A 650, putting out 65 RWHP (??) being stable in corners with the seating of a supersport doesnt make it so, isnt it?

I sincerely hope it is not badged a Supersport by anyone because if so, it will be compared against true supersports, and it will fall seriously short on all depts. Which is unfair because it is a good bike for what it offers and is priced at.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
but razor sharp flickability through corners

Which is unfair because it is a good bike for what it offers and is priced at.
The bike has precise and razor sharp handling

The bike is grossly over priced.

Most Viewed