Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 07:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
The ones destined for India are S1000RR, R1200GS and the K1300GT. Lets hope they have some sane pricing on these.
Yes. Let us hope. But you know this is hoping against hope right?

I really do not think that there would be a sane pricing. Mainly because this move seems to be made with the feeling that Indians are now ready to spend money, so let us sell them a few bikes as well.
Old 29th October 2010, 08:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Oh no...the pricing will be astronomical thanks to their desire to differentiate themselves from the other brands out there. I am sure they'll want to be perceived as an "elite" brand. Well let them then because I'm not paying "elite" money to own a BMW in India. Do the math with the prices you can find abroad and tack on customs duties and that is what I'd be willing to pay.

Selling the bikes is one thing...who is going to handle the service bit? The dealers in India have a hard enough time keeping their customers from bringing down the house when it is time to service their "elite" cars!!

People need to start looking beyond the sale...and I need to see evidence of a fully equipped service center with trained staff at ALL locations before I can put my money down. I'm not paying "elite" money so I can load my bike into a tata ace from the wilderness and have it driven back to either Delhi or Mumbai!
Old 29th October 2010, 13:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Oh no...the pricing will be astronomical thanks to their desire to differentiate themselves from the other brands out there. I am sure they'll want to be perceived as an "elite" brand. Well let them then because I'm not paying "elite" money to own a BMW in India. Do the math with the prices you can find abroad and tack on customs duties and that is what I'd be willing to pay.

Selling the bikes is one thing...who is going to handle the service bit? The dealers in India have a hard enough time keeping their customers from bringing down the house when it is time to service their "elite" cars!!

People need to start looking beyond the sale...and I need to see evidence of a fully equipped service center with trained staff at ALL locations before I can put my money down. I'm not paying "elite" money so I can load my bike into a tata ace from the wilderness and have it driven back to either Delhi or Mumbai!
+1 on the price & service aspect.
If BMW is interested in promoting the motorrad brand rather than simply adding India on its world motorrad map at astronomical prices they better look elsewhere. I would pay 7 lacs for the GS abroad, but no way 20+ lacs in India just for the BMW logo, coz unlike Harleys, these are not lifestyle bikes, but functional bikes that are meant to be ridden hard & long.

Last edited by Haroon : 29th October 2010 at 13:36.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:20   #19
BHPian

I think the F650 with its twin 800CC engine is the best choice for India, R 1200 will be too big and expencive.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ones destined for India are S1000RR
My Dream Bike would be in India soon and I can't do much about it.

2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 vs. 2010 BMW S 1000 RR

But then I would be celebrating the fact that S1000RR is here and few blessed souls may enjoy the best Motorcycle.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 on the price & service aspect.
If BMW is interested in promoting the motorrad brand rather than simply adding India on its world motorrad map at astronomical prices they better look elsewhere. I would pay 7 lacs for the GS abroad, but no way 20+ lacs in India just for the BMW logo, coz unlike Harleys, these are not lifestyle bikes, but functional bikes that are meant to be ridden hard & long.
On the money. A BMW motorcycle is like a Ducati bicycle (they exist!)...You have to use them and none of them are pose-worthy and look quite ugly actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
I think the F650 with its twin 800CC engine is the best choice for India, R 1200 will be too big and expencive.
Again you are right. But the sad thing is that while the Motorrad makes great bikes, the Indians who end up holding the rights to do BMW motorcycle business in India are usually tweeds who think that these bikes have to be "premium". They will bring in the least practical and most expensive bikes form the BMW stable AND price it out of reach of true bikers.

I can afford an MT01 but there is no way I can afford to pay 17-20L for a bimmer. This is a bike I plan to ride into the himalayas...fall over on the side, get stuck on rocks and in slush. These aren't bikes to make a style statement!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My Dream Bike would be in India soon and I can't do much about it.

2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 vs. 2010 BMW S 1000 RR

But then I would be celebrating the fact that S1000RR is here and few blessed souls may enjoy the best Motorcycle.
Sheel...I feel your pain because it is my pain as well. We always get the short end of the stick. I have a superbike and I am complaining so I can only imagine how outraged everyone else must be feeling. As it is we pay the government for getting "ZERO" in return...and now we must pander to the fantasies of elitists who want to tack on a few more lakhs to the price just to differentiate themselves from a Suzuki or a Honda???

I hope there is ONE dealer who will step up to Motorrad and tell them "it is fine...give it to us at the minimum price. We want to sell the bikes to bikers and not to people who will keep them in their gardens for birds to nest in".

Sorry for the rant, I am just supremely upset at the state of affairs.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:37   #22
BHPian

All said and done. I dont think things are going to change any soon and we aint getting any younger. And those "once in a life time trips" are really that. so I guess its a choice if you really really want to go for it. But one thing is for sure. that "want" is easier to justify to yourself in this case rather than say a busa or an R1 which whether we like it or not is less on the practical side. Whereas this is something which we can keep aspiring for.
Old 30th October 2010, 15:37   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
They were selling bikes in India some 10(or was it 15) years ago also I guess. I rememeber seeing their ads in papers.
Any owners of the bikes sold in that time period on the forum?
The F650 Funduro. Was too early in the market and didn't sell at all. Hero - BMW had a cutprice stock clearance sale before wrapping things up. IIRC, the price had been slashed to 2 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
GTO , what is the source for this information ? .
Official BMW communication.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

F650, 652 cc, 48 bhp single cylinder.

Launch price: 5,30,000
price cut after 18 months: 4,10,000
last lot sold for 2,15,000.
Old 30th October 2010, 18:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
And funnily enough a well kept one fetches the same price, if not more even today. What a friggin' good investment!

manson.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:00   #26
BHPian

Re: BMW India to sell Motorcycles from December 2010

Just spotted a new black k1300r bike at pashan circle , pune. Have these guys started selling bikes in india already?
Old 16th December 2010, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Thats great news. I always loved the BMW R 1200 GS for its off roading capability with super bike power, Let see what will be the price.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

Anyone bought the official S1000RR in India?
Old 16th December 2010, 22:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Launch price: 5,30,000
price cut after 18 months: 4,10,000
5 or 4 lakhs ,10 + years ago , is like 20 + lakhs in today's value .It was a stupid move by BMW.

Being invested 20 + lakhs 10 years ago ,expecting 2-3 lakhs now for the bike's resale value is right .

Last edited by black12rr : 16th December 2010 at 22:37.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:42   #30
BHPian

As per Navneet Bangalore, the sales will start from end of January 2011. I was told they have got one bike for display in bangalore at hosur rd showroom. The guy I spoke to didnt know which model as the bike related sales guy was not there.

Myself & wife just completed yesterday a 2400km south india peninsula ride on my R1200GS. The bike did a fantastic job & didnt miss a single beat. Me & wife did not have any body fatigue and I thoroghly enjoyed riding this beast in India.

Most Viewed