Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 16:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha FZ-1 is coming to INDIA

Great news for all the FZ fans ! The bigger sibling of FZ 16 is coming to INDIA .
FZ 1 is going to hit the showrooms in november with an estimated sticker price of 9.5 L .

source : AUTOCAR
Old 31st October 2010, 17:26   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Great news for all the FZ fans ! The bigger sibling of FZ 16 is coming to INDIA .
FZ 1 is going to hit the showrooms in november with an estimated sticker price of 9.5 L .

This is indeed a very popular touring steed in Europe. With a few customizations it can give you some of the oomphs of an FJR1300 at half the price. Relatively 'affordable' and I think looks wise also it is way ahead of the Bandit 1250. Have to see how indians respond to these semi-faired superbikes.
Old 31st October 2010, 17:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's a complete CBU!!! Sigh!!! I wish they did a CKD route. I'm really wondering what's stopping YMI to taste the success path of Kwacker 250?

The only thing being is homologation, if YMI submits FZ1 for homologation, the price would drop down to somewhere 7L ex showroom & would certainly become a killer seller.

Why do everyone follow the CBU path still? Shouldn't the CBU stop somewhere?
Old 31st October 2010, 18:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

@aargee Nobody wants to take the plunge in setting up and assemble plant for CKD units.Nobody can still say for a certainty as to the number of superbikes that will seen in India of a particular,and hence unwilling to take the risk of putting in money for a plant.
CBUs are relatively cheaper for them and expensive for us!
Old 31st October 2010, 18:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
@aargee Nobody wants to take the plunge in setting up and assemble plant for CKD units.
Ah!!! C'mon Avishar, Kawasaki doesn't have a plant here, yet they'd a tie up with B.A.L to make Kwacker 250 cheaper.

Forget Yamaha, Honda has a manufacturing plant in India & still they don't want to do a CKD job. From my point of view, the Govt is the biggest bottle neck.
- They fail to accept the homologation done from other countries including UK
- Also, they don't complete the process in time; somewhere I remember reading it is like 90 days. But I can never vouch on our Govt babus!!!
- Last but not the least, the Govt is stealing the already over burdened tax payers money in the form of 110% tax

Quote:
Nobody can still say for a certainty as to the number of superbikes that will seen in India of a particular,and hence unwilling to take the risk of putting in money for a plant.
Well 1000 Ninja's sold in about a year is sufficient to say that there's lot of demand.

Quote:
CBUs are relatively cheaper for them and expensive for us!
Very true

But deep in my heart, I'm happy about the 110% (only wish it were more) otherwise we'll have all tom dick & harry buying SBK's & riding like maniacs to cause more accidents.

Last edited by aargee : 31st October 2010 at 18:59.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post

Could you please put a link or something as i dont seem to be able to find any off the FZ1 announcement or anything pertaining the FZ1 on the Autocarindia website. Thank you.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Could you please put a link or something as i dont seem to be able to find any off the FZ1 announcement or anything pertaining the FZ1 on the Autocarindia website. Thank you.
Top right hand corner . Bangalore Wheels

PS: Bangalore wheels is a famous yam dealer.

Last edited by black12rr : 1st November 2010 at 12:56.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
That's a complete CBU!!! Sigh!!! I wish they did a CKD route. I'm really wondering what's stopping YMI to taste the success path of Kwacker 250?

The only thing being is homologation, if YMI submits FZ1 for homologation, the price would drop down to somewhere 7L ex showroom & would certainly become a killer seller.

Why do everyone follow the CBU path still? Shouldn't the CBU stop somewhere?
SBKs will never be assembled in India. At least not for the next 15 years. The demand may be high (1000 Ninjas) in relative terms, but two-wheeler manufacturers are looking at volumes rather than niche products. Basically, it's just not feasible to construct a manufacturing-unit just to cater to a 1000 bikes around India. It makes more sense for the maker to import them. And remember, the Ninja 250R costs 3 lakhs and it has just about managed 1000 units.

Having said that, the FZ1 is a fantastic tourer and will definitely trouble the likes of the Honda CB 1000R. And the price is quite mouth-watering as well.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
SBKs will never be assembled in India. At least not for the next 15 years.
Though its a relief to hear, its disheartening for true & safe riders.

Quote:
The demand may be high (1000 Ninjas) in relative terms, but two-wheeler manufacturers are looking at volumes rather than niche products.
Fine, then what about Fazer 250? Yamaha doesn't even need to partner with anyone here & they could easily get it done through YMIS. I'm sure there're so many 250cc multi cylinder motorcycles out there, but none of them want to venture here.

Well the base point is, Suzuki, Honda & Yamaha have manufacturing plants here, while Kwacker doesn't have one; yet Kawasaki was the first one to bring the Ninja here.

How about a plant manufacturing motorcycles with capacity of twin 400cc? These motorcycles shouldn't cost too much right? That's the entire cry of this country.

Quote:
Basically, it's just not feasible to construct a manufacturing-unit just to cater to a 1000 bikes around India. It makes more sense for the maker to import them.
Its very much feasible, but the biggest hinderance (for everything) is the Govt.

Quote:
Having said that, the FZ1 is a fantastic tourer and will definitely trouble the likes of the Honda CB 1000R. And the price is quite mouth-watering as well.
True; just love it!!! What a sheer beauty even at the looks isn't it?
Old 1st November 2010, 14:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Though its a relief to hear, its disheartening for true & safe riders.

Fine, then what about Fazer 250? Yamaha doesn't even need to partner with anyone here & they could easily get it done through YMIS. I'm sure there're so many 250cc multi cylinder motorcycles out there, but none of them want to venture here.

Well, the motorcycle market in India is growing. Probably not as fast as the four-wheeler market. But it is growing nevertheless. Give it time and you will see several higher-capacity bikes on our streets.

Quote:
How about a plant manufacturing motorcycles with capacity of twin 400cc? These motorcycles shouldn't cost too much right? That's the entire cry of this country.
Quote:
Its very much feasible, but the biggest hinderance (for everything) is the Govt.
The 400cc motorcycles you're talking about will not bring the company volumes. More than 80% of those who buy motorcycles in India have different priorities, the main one being commuting. Think about it. The largest selling two-wheeler is the Splendor. The country still wants fuel efficient, reliable and easy-to-ride two-wheelers. Those who want bikes for the thrill of riding are few, to be honest.

It's definitely not feasible. Investing crores of rupees to construct a manufacturing-plant in order to build a bike that would sell in three-digit figures isn't feasible in any way. And the hindrance is definitely not the Govt. Remember, it's the people who make the market. If people want low-cost, reliable, fuel-efficient two-wheelers, then they would be provided with just that. India is a middle-class empire. Very few are interested in a high-capacity bike. We BHPians and some others fall in that category

Quote:
Well the base point is, Suzuki, Honda & Yamaha have manufacturing plants here, while Kwacker doesn't have one; yet Kawasaki was the first one to bring the Ninja here.
The Ninja is a CBU and is brought down by Bajaj. They are available at Bajaj Probiking Showrooms.

Anyway, we're going terribly off-topic.

The Yam FZ1 will be a very interesting bike and if it is priced under 10 lakhs, it should be a sweet deal for those in the market for a powerful, good looking, urban crotch-rocket that isn't exactly a track-bred racer.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st November 2010 at 15:01.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Give it time and you will see several higher-capacity bikes on our streets.
That's true, but, by the time it matures, I'll be able to afford one easily but not so easy to ride; may be I only need to gift it to my Son or Daughter

Quote:
The largest selling two-wheeler is the Splendor.
Pulsar is fast catching up!!!

Quote:
The Ninja is a CBU and is brought down by Bajaj. They are available at Bajaj Probiking Showrooms.
Sorry my friend, Kwacker 250's are CKD's -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1301990

Quote:
The Yam FZ1 will be a very interesting bike and if it is priced under 10 lakhs, it should be a sweet deal for those in the market for a powerful, good looking, urban crotch-rocket that isn't exactly a track-bred racer.
Very true; but I'm sure the pricing is 9.6L as its priced about $10500 abroad which makes $21000 here nothing but 9.6L with Rs 46 conversion rate. Wouldn't that eat up MT01's (and HD's ) sales?
Old 1st November 2010, 15:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sorry my friend, Kwacker 250's are CKD's -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1301990
Sorry my bad! Yes, the Ninja is a CKD. I don't know how I missed that!

Quote:
Very true; but I'm sure the pricing is 9.6L as its priced about $10500 abroad which makes $21000 here nothing but 9.6L with Rs 46 conversion rate. Wouldn't that eat up MT01's (and HD's ) sales?
The FZ1 would definitely deter a few customers away from the MT01. But what's in it for Yamaha anyway! It's either this or that. They'd finally sell one of them. Besides, sales of CBUs doesn't make a difference for them in terms of numbers. That's why they are CBUs!

Personally, I don't think anyone who wants a Harley would ever look at a Japanese SBK. They are poles apart. They are a different breed altogether. It will be interesting to see how the FZ1 fares though.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:40   #13
BANNED

Quote:

Personally, I don't think anyone who wants a Harley would ever look at a Japanese SBK. They are poles apart. They are a different breed altogether.
There are exceptions to every rule

FZ1 should have advantage over CB1kR due to Yamaha's better SBK dealer and service network. (Dunno about quality of service, just that it exists). Honda makes it very difficult to buy and service a SBK from them, unless you live in a metro.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:56   #14
BHPian

Probably we must ask indian wings of Yam, Suz, Hon to look at the large investment in 'assembly plants for big-bore small volume selling bikes' in the same light as how manufacturers do large investments in 'Moto GP & WSBK motorsports'. I mean the big bore bikes will be an additional marketing tool for the large volume commuter bike manufacturers in India.

Also, over the coming 2-3 years, these amounts of 9.6 lacs or 14 laks that look big now will start to sink into our mindset as a fact of reality just as we all did when the car market started opening up with non-Maruti 800 cars selling at 5, 6, 8, 10.... lacks. I still remember the Standard 2000 car selling at a 'whooping 3 laks' in 1986 was big news for many months!!

Last edited by Haroon : 1st November 2010 at 21:10.

Most Viewed