Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 09:35   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster

@ Nav - From what I heard and Vivek Sir (ex ZX-10R) rider confirms that Kawasaki is least affected by compression issues. On long rides his ZX used to run fine wrt to that of Ken's R1.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:49   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
What i cannot understand is that your bike with 11.5 compression ratio is working fine with regular petrol where as ducati is stuck up with 95 and 95 only for the same compression ratio.I even got a call from Ducati Italy confirming the same.

Edit: Even Shayne is confirming that his bike with an even lower ratio of 11:1 is behaving differently with 97 octane. Nik does your bike behave differently as well with higher octane.

I have been using regular 91 fuel with an engine with compression ratio of 12:1 without any issues.Just that i make sure that i fill in from a reputed pump which has least adultration.
Maybe its to do with the ignition timing.
I got a tankful of 97 a few days back. Will update the performance change on the FZ1 thread. As of now , I didnt feel any difference in city riding and a burst to 100kmph
Old 14th May 2011, 11:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Is it now confirmed that Ducati closed shop in NCR?

I am hell bent to get a Diavel and hopefully it should come as Diwali Gift. But if fuel is an issue then something else will have to thought of. Navpreet, even if you live in Delhi, it does not make sense to use 97 as it is not available outside city limits and even DEL-Jaipur can't be completed on say 17liter Diavel tank(Avg. 10kmpl).
Old 14th May 2011, 12:22   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yes now these are big issues for acquiring the bike.It seems like i'm poised not to buy any bike now.I don't want another Jap.And non of the european bikes are going to survive on simple fuel.

I wish triumph came in with the bonneville.With the compression ratio of 9.2:1 its as good a deal we can have in india as possible.
Old 14th May 2011, 13:05   #95
BHPian

Hi guys,

have some inputs here. The Monster manual recommends at least 95 Octane and admittedly the bike runs much smoother with 97 Octane. But i just did a 1600 km run from Delhi to Sarahan (in himachal) and back, and first tank onwards used whatever fuel was available. The bike ran with no problems whatsoever. I did use Octane boosters but this was just for my psychological wellbeing since they dont really work other than to maybe keep the injectors clean. Anyway, as long as you are not redlining the engine, the bike runs just fine on less than perfect fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Is it now confirmed that Ducati closed shop in NCR?

I am hell bent to get a Diavel and hopefully it should come as Diwali Gift. But if fuel is an issue then something else will have to thought of. Navpreet, even if you live in Delhi, it does not make sense to use 97 as it is not available outside city limits and even DEL-Jaipur can't be completed on say 17liter Diavel tank(Avg. 10kmpl).
Yes the Gurgaon showroom has been converted to a Hyosung showroom. Am sure they will find another partner or resolve this problem and reopen a showroom in the NCR soon.. i hope!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th May 2011 at 15:12. Reason: posts merged
shayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 13:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Shayne how about the servicing.How is it being handled? Is there someone coming in from Mumbai to service the bike and how much do they charge for this?
Old 14th May 2011, 13:13   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
servicing cost comparison -
its at par with others. A friend who owns a black 796 in mumbai paid 7k for first service.
Shayne : how many servicings have u done so far?
Did the first service at 1000kms, was charged around Rs5500 for it. Included oil filter and oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Shayne how about the servicing.How is it being handled? Is there someone coming in from Mumbai to service the bike and how much do they charge for this?
The first service was done by the Gurgaon dealer. He still has all the tools etc needed to do it.. and though he has problems with Ducati, doesnt mean he cant/wont service the bike.
I actually bought the bike from the Bangalore dealer and the bike was shipped from there. The person who sold it to me has assured me that any problems or even regular servicing can be handled by them as long as it is scheduled in advance. This is because their engineer travels to Delhi at least once a month.
I personally feel that these bikes done need much upkeep since you don't really use them as daily drivers, and even if you do, take good care of it.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th May 2011 at 15:12. Reason: posts merged
Old 28th October 2011, 11:56   #98
BHPian

Update to my ownership experience:

As most people know the Gurgaon dealer closed a few months ago, leaving me with support from the Bangalore dealer (from whom i actually bought the bike). I was told that someone from that dealership comes to Delhi once a month at least and they would look after all my needs. Unfortunately this has not happened. For example, I have been trying to get the head stock of the bike tightened for the last 2 months, with no success. You need a special tool to be able to do this, so i cannot do it on my own.
The Bangalore dealer also seems to be now going through problems due to which not only have i not been able to get this small problem seen to, but unfortunately i had paid Rs 1 lakh to the dealer in July for a carbon fiber Termignoni exhaust for the bike. I am still to receive it. I asked for my money back, but was told not to worry, i would get my exhaust eventually! So at the moment i am at the mercy of the dealer, who has apparently ordered my exhaust from a dealer in the USA, but since not one of the commitments that have been made to me since before i bought the bike have been kept, i really don't believe this until i actually see the exhaust.
Will keep this updated on the Ducati India saga as experienced by me!
Old 28th October 2011, 12:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

Shayne, looks like you are at the receiving end for quite some time from Ducati. Have been following your thread from day one. Even though you are enjoying your bike and rides, these thoughts do take away your peace of mind. Hopefully things get resolved and look up for you at the earliest.
Old 28th October 2011, 13:16   #100
BHPian

Yes I hope so. How is your Yamaha experience coming along ??
Old 28th October 2011, 14:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Will keep this updated on the Ducati India saga as experienced by me!
Why dont you write or contact someone from Ducati directly. What about talking to the Ducati guys in Bombay (not that they are any better but yet)..i believe they only have the Delhi dealership. I also feel you would have been better off ordering your exhaust directly, it would have atleast given you peace of mind. Hope everything gets sorted out for you.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I hope so. How is your Yamaha experience coming along ??
Well Shayne, it has been picture perfect to be honest so far. Touch Wood
Apart from regular service and chain cleaning/lubrication/tightening there is no reason for me to visit the service station. Thanks for asking
Old 25th November 2011, 00:09   #103
BHPian

So, finally got my Termignoni exhausts night before last. But this is not a 'alls well that ends well' story unfortunately: my saga with Ducati continues.. the pipes are stainless steel not the Carbon fiber (that i ordered) or titanium (that i was told was coming since i had been so patient!). Obviously the SS pair are much cheaper, at least $500 less. I guess the person who got it for me thought i would not know that they are SS and not titanium! Anyway have not mentioned that i know of this since the ECU that came with it is of the ABS version, which means that my speedo doesn't work at all now! So now i am waiting for the non-ABS ECU to arrive in the next 20 days, though i am not sure it actually ever will.
Cannot make much of a noise about any of this since the pipes have been ordered through some other importer in Delhi and not the bangalore dealer. Obviously the person i was dealing with in the Bangalore dealership has some kind of deal going in the middle of all this. Probably told the dealer that he will handle my case, got the 1 lakh i paid from them, ordered the SS pipes for me, making a cool $500 AT LEAST in this way. Which would be ok, but even now the ECU is wrong and the clips for the heat shields for the exhaust never came with it. So: i paid around $2000 for something that actually costs half that, doesn't look that good (too shiny), doesn't work properly (speedo problem).. and there is not a thing i can do about it
On a positive note: still love the bike will give the term's a good workout over the weekend!
Old 25th November 2011, 09:25   #104
BHPian

Hmm.. Have been quietly following this thread right from the beginning. Almost convinced the family on the Ducati.
But, I guess I will give it a pass for 5-6 years at least, if not forever. And, I am spreading the word among all my friends who are harboring dreams for this one.
It gets my head burning to think that one have spent 10 lacs on a bike and cannot get a repair or service done within an hour of deciding so. I can not even imagine what your head is feeling like.

This kind of pain is absolutely not acceptable. One has to work hard and pay through their nose for this kind of purchase. And then the speedo does not work??!!! What else the bike's got other than that?

EDIT - Aren't there any avenues for direct import? I mean ordering online to a reputed ducati accessory dealer in Italy, UK or maybe Singapore or Dubai? The Indian bike importers have always been the scum of the earth anyway.

Last edited by sen2009 : 25th November 2011 at 09:30. Reason: Added a line
Old 25th November 2011, 10:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sad to read about all the hassle and heartburn that Ducati customers are going through. Hope it all gets sorted out soon.

Quote:
So: i paid around $2000 for something that actually costs half that, doesn't look that good (too shiny), doesn't work properly (speedo problem).. and there is not a thing i can do about it
Why can't you do anything about it Shayne? If you went the legal route, meaning if you have the bills, receipts, order form etc. you can approach a consumer court and claim the difference and damages for all the agony they have put you through. You could write a mail to the Ducati folks and let them know that you are contemplating legal action. That should wake them up. Its sad that such a respectable brand is so callous and careless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks