Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 23:57   #31
BHPian

re: Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster

Congratulations dude! That is indeed great news.
Are you considering an exhaust upgrade to Termignioni, Leo Vince or Zard?
People at ducati forums say that an exhaust upgrade is a must for experiencing the true potential of the bike.

If not too inconvenient, could you please check with your showroom for the following queries -

1. Price of Full Termignioni Racing kit upgrade (Carbon and titanium)
2. Price for Termignioni slip ons?
3. Is the full termi system RTO approved? If not, is that a big problem? Is there a standard jugaad available to address the issue?
4. Can someone order the system along with the bike and get some reduction in the stock bike price as one is not taking the stock exhaust system and ECU? (meaning if there's a buy back on the stock parts replaced by the upgrade parts)
5. Price of T 14 sprocket upgrade?

Sorry for the long list of queries. And thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:25   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I am not a biker. Infact i dont even know how to ride a bike properly. But one thing i understand is passion. If you have always wanted to own a ducati, even though you know it has maintainence issues. I say GO for it. Follow your heart. No matter what you wont regret it. Good luck with purchasing your red ducati.
Md"Saab", truly a post worthy of calling you "Saab". I am a car enthusiast who only has a passing interest in bikes, yet can TOTALLY relate to what you said. My Jeep is old....it's rusty, vibrates & shakes, and lacks even the most basic creature comforts you'd get in a humble Nano. She's so old that I can't even find anyone to insure her. But she pulls me toward her all the time, so much so that I decided (and have stuck to) she'll always be a part of my life. I drive her only twice a week, but when I do, the pleasure syndrome is more than all my other cars combined. Indeed, you do understand passion.

In this time of practicality and all that, it's refreshing to read a post with this attitude. Thanks for sharing your worthy advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Booked a red Ducati Monster 796
Delivery probably before 15th of March, but if i am lucky much before that. Fingers crossed
Congrats! You owe us an ownership report. And do drive safe
Old 8th February 2011, 00:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
My personal experience is that people who constantly denigrate Ducatis have never owned one, get all their info from some online forum

With all due respect for each single post of yours on the forum that I have read atleast twice, I am surprised how you would criticise online forums for the information that is available on these portals, and that by posting on a forum.
If one knows how to breakdown the available information, dicussion forums seem the best thing that happened to the internet from a consumer point of view, automobile and just about everything else under the sun. They are the most raw form of user responses, unbiased opinions and feedback for a product which has been mainly responsible for top firms using online portals as sample sizes for most research based activities.

manson.
Old 8th February 2011, 02:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Seriously - Buell of all bikes?? They are history, out of business - good riddance
Ditrt and street means one thing- supermoto. Look at the KTM 690 SMC, the thing is so much fun, its nuts. If my high command approves another bike, it will be a supermoto bike for sure. My heart is set on the KTM. 690 SMC - Supermoto - Models - Models & Accessories - KTM.com - Ready to Race

There are 2 guys in our gang who ride a KTM, they turn on a dime, and pop wheelies at will. The bike has fun written all over it. Best wishes, for smiles on a supermoto bike.

BTW, just rode into work. How is that snow storm treating you? Sorry, had to rub it in.
relax, I mentioned buell just because i remembered the styling i know they are out of business (and question) now.

My insurance kicks in next month and I will start riding again. Next year not opting for winter lay-away period. Every two weeks i start my boulevard and take it for a short spin within the community , with winter jacket and gloves on.

the plan is to get bored of the cruiser this summer and move on to a more fun bike. Right now inclined towards 250-650 cc enduros (I weigh less than 130 pounds, so i guess they would suffice), but they lack styling for street.
Old 8th February 2011, 02:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
With all due respect for each single post of yours on the forum that I have read atleast twice, I am surprised how you would criticise online forums for the information that is available on these portals, and that by posting on a forum.

manson.
I apologize for giving the impression that I'm critical of all online forums. However, very few online forums are of the quality of Team-bhp. I wanted to point out the fact that when it comes to exotics (albeit not that unaffordable in the case of Ducs), performance and maintenance comments are usually not very valid if posted by people who have never owned these vehicles since, they're not that easily accessible to the majority. Therefore, it's very important to ensure that when it comes to these vehicles, the information is gleaned from people who are actually familiar with them.

When you surf the motor cycle forums, it's very telling that in Ducati or other such elusive bike forums, the japanese bikes are almost always respected. On the contrary, most Jap bike forums will have tons of comments disrespecting makes like Ducati, Cagiva, Laverda, Triumph, Augusta and such. I believe the reason for this is that most people who own exotics have already owned or still own Japanese bikes and knows their enormous capabilities, while vice versa is mostly not true.

I apologize again for offending anyone which, definitely was not my intend.
Old 8th February 2011, 08:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

@GTO thank for your kind words. I firmly believe in passion, as long as you follow your heart you will never regret it. Thats how i ended up buying our w115. That on arriving home from the sellers place, the coolant spilled all over our garage is another story. We have spent a lot on her, but everytime you take her out for a spin it all seems worth it. I have read your thread on the restoration of rush, and can tell how passionate you are about your jeep. Passion at its epitome, thats what i thought while reading your thread.

@shayne congratulations on your purchase and above all for following your heart. Looking forward to hearing more about your red beauty. Good luck!

Last edited by mdsaab : 8th February 2011 at 08:18. Reason: nervous.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Booked a red Ducati Monster 796
Delivery probably before 15th of March, but if i am lucky much before that. Fingers crossed
You are one lucky boy, please let us know the break up of cost, initial booking amount and OTR, also if you have taken a loan, that info will be very valuable. If I do take it, it will be through a loan. One more question what is that tipped 796 over 696, do let us know.
Until you get your bike, Happy dreaming
Old 8th February 2011, 13:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I apologize for giving the impression that I'm critical of all online forums. However, very few online forums are of the quality of Team-bhp. I wanted to point out the fact that when it comes to exotics (albeit not that unaffordable in the case of Ducs), performance and maintenance comments are usually not very valid if posted by people who have never owned these vehicles since, they're not that easily accessible to the majority. Therefore, it's very important to ensure that when it comes to these vehicles, the information is gleaned from people who are actually familiar with them.
Thanks for clearing that. I almost knew you were above this.

Quote:
When you surf the motor cycle forums, it's very telling that in Ducati or other such elusive bike forums, the japanese bikes are almost always respected. On the contrary, most Jap bike forums will have tons of comments disrespecting makes like Ducati, Cagiva, Laverda, Triumph, Augusta and such. I believe the reason for this is that most people who own exotics have already owned or still own Japanese bikes and knows their enormous capabilities, while vice versa is mostly not true.
From my understanding, the above sentiment is due to the universally better build quality and longevity of Japanese components. The Japanese have the edge when the owner does not want to bother too much over the machine and just wants to fill it, shut it and ride it which makes them a lot more bang for the buck over their European cousins.
The average rider usually finds it hard to justify the premium in ownership cost for a similar specced Jap.
The Jap v/s Euro exotic is a never ending debate, and everyone has their favourites picked out, so lets just leave it at that.

On another note, for the sake of my knowledge and understanding I would like to know your thoughts about my post # 2 in this thread.

manson.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:36   #39
BHPian

Hi Manson,

As you requested, my personal observations regarding your comments;

Quote:
The answer lies in how much time and money are you willing to spend around your bike post after two months of bringing it home. From what I have read till date, you will definitely end up spending more of each with the Duke than a Japanese I4 machine.
No arguments here. Bikes like ducati are way more expensive to maintain since their maintenance schedule must be strictly adhered to. Japanese superbikes rarely require anything more than regular oil change and tire/brake pad replacement.

Quote:
  • The Japanese I4 bikes have been here long enough now, to a point that even local mechanics feel at ease to work around the regular stuff and open up the simpler parts.
You simply do not take exotics to anyone other than master mechanics.

Quote:
  • Buying a naked bike for me is making a sensible decision, and have a no nonsense bike which doesn't ever break down, parts do not creak, electricals are always spot on, etc, this points out straight to FZ1.manson.
The new generation Ducatis since the 999 models are very reliable mechanically and electrically since, they use the latest technologies available.

Quote:
  • I have never ridden, let alone owned a Duke. But like they say, everything should be tried atleast once in your life, so I will have one someday, but that would be the 1098, or probably a more race bred machine that has an element I can be passionate about in order to hang on through the grim period in the ownership period. I would kick myself (very hard) for not buying an FZ1 everytime I had the Monster malfunction.
As long as the recommended service schedule is maintained, a malfunctioning Monster is not going to be a problem.

Quote:
  • Another simple theory, if I the Duke were to be rebadged to Yamaha, would you still buy it over the FZ1? Most probably not. On the flipside, if the FZ1 was to be rebadged to Ducati, you would surely buy one. So you are mostly buying into the brand than looking at any serious value proposition.
    40+ BHP on tap, Japanese reliability, much higher refinement levels are worth whole lot more than One Lac INR, had the FZ 1 been a Duke, you could surprise yourself silly at seeing it priced well over 13L INR on road.
Please note that the Ducatis are expensive because they come with the top of the line parts such as Brembo brakes, forged aluminum wheels, top of the line front and rear shocks, steering damper, just to name a few. These are simply not available in Japs as standard fitments. And if you go still higher into the 'R' models, you're now talking Titanium parts. I don't know if any Japanese bikes even offer these. Some of my co-riders here actually retire their Ducs and Agusta and simply will not sell. They also own Jap SBKs which they turn over every two years.

Quote:
  • Marketing point of view, many may argue but the Monster does not have any serious snob value, atleast over the FZ1 as it costs a Lac cheaper. It may have had some snob value if it were priced a couple of Lacs over its Japanese competition. I look at it as the cheapest entrant to get into the SBK scene, cheapest being the keyword. So this is where all the snob value over the FZ1 goes out of the window.
In my personal opinion, Monster is the only ducati model that is sensible for Indian road conditions. I just don't see where an SBK can be seriously ridden unless, you're talking about getting on a highway and going fast in a straight line. And that as I've said before, is not Sport Riding. You're much better of getting a Sport Tourer or Cruiser and will enjoy the experience much more.

Quote:
To add, my next bike again is going to be a Japanese machine, V4, I4, I don't know, but after the now tricked out aftermarket 954, I am longing to own a bone stock Japanese motorcycle straight from the showroom to really experience the epitome of refinement one could possible have around.

manson.
By refinement if you mean a smooth ride, it's mostly by the nature of I4 vs L-Twin. But if you're talking about a riding experience that is simply unforgettable every time, then you want to ride a Ducati, or an Agusta. Japs are simply not as memorable and soon every ride becomes like any other.

The whole debate about a Ducati and Japanese bike is a non-starter, in my opinion. It's almost like trying to compare a Lexus with Mercedes S Class. Both provide you with conveyance in style but the S Class will cost you way more. However, every component of the S Class is simply the highest grade available and provides a very involved driving experience. The Lexus provides unparalleled reliability but is the most incredibly dull car I've ever driven. Personally, I never understood why if you've $50K or more, you would want own a glorified Toyota.

I am so happy to see the maturing of the Indian riding community in willing to explore a riding experience outside the tried and tested jap bikes. I hope to see an ever growing Duc and Agusta riders who actually ride their bikes, instead of posing in front of cafes, like a lot of riders I see here, both Japs and other makes.

Last edited by VLOCT : 8th February 2011 at 21:39.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 23:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Congratulations dude! That is indeed great news.
Are you considering an exhaust upgrade to Termignioni, Leo Vince or Zard?
People at ducati forums say that an exhaust upgrade is a must for experiencing the true potential of the bike.

If not too inconvenient, could you please check with your showroom for the following queries -

1. Price of Full Termignioni Racing kit upgrade (Carbon and titanium)
2. Price for Termignioni slip ons?
3. Is the full termi system RTO approved? If not, is that a big problem? Is there a standard jugaad available to address the issue?
4. Can someone order the system along with the bike and get some reduction in the stock bike price as one is not taking the stock exhaust system and ECU? (meaning if there's a buy back on the stock parts replaced by the upgrade parts)
5. Price of T 14 sprocket upgrade?

Sorry for the long list of queries. And thanks in advance.
The full Termi kit is 1.5 lakh, just the slip ons are 90k. This is for the titanium ones, the carbon ones arent even stocked by the dealer as they are very expensive.The termis will not negate your factory warranty, unlike any other brand, according to the dealer.
As for the RTO bit, i dont know, but since the termis dont have a catalytic convertor, i doubt if the bike would pass a exhaust test.
I thought of the buy back as well, but not going to happen unless you find someone who crashed and wants them.
The dealer said that any modification to the bike (like changing the sprockets) would negate the warranty. Probably not true, but i wont test it myself
Old 9th February 2011, 10:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The full Termi kit is 1.5 lakh, just the slip ons are 90k. This is for the titanium ones, the carbon ones arent even stocked by the dealer as they are very expensive.The termis will not negate your factory warranty, unlike any other brand, according to the dealer.
As for the RTO bit, i dont know, but since the termis dont have a catalytic convertor, i doubt if the bike would pass a exhaust test.
I thought of the buy back as well, but not going to happen unless you find someone who crashed and wants them.
Thanks a lot for the info. 1.5 Lacs is definitely expensive.
And, given there is no buy back on stock parts, it doesn't make sense in getting the upgrade right at the beginning.

Quote:
The dealer said that any modification to the bike (like changing the sprockets) would negate the warranty. Probably not true, but i wont test it myself
This is weired!
The T-14 Sprocket is a listed accessory in Ducati international website.
Front sprocket 7mm (525) - T14 - Ducati Monster Multistrada SportTouring Streetfighter SuperSport Superbike Accessories

The T-14 is less of an upgrade and more of a necessity in Indian Roads.
If this mod kills the warranty, life will be difficult.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:47   #42
BHPian

I agree. Not only that, the international site lists the slip ons coming with an ECU and free flow air filter, whereas the dealer in Gurgaon said that these two things would only come with the full kit. He might have been wrong, will find out when the time comes.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:29   #43
BHPian

Hey, is there any update on delivery?
Waiting for a first impression cum ride report. And, do post up a few videos of your monster, when you get around to that.
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:34   #44
BHPian

The riding stance of the Hypermotard is quite suitable for Indian traffic.

''In my personal opinion, Monster is the only ducati model that is sensible for Indian road conditions. I just don't see where an SBK can be seriously ridden unless, you're talking about getting on a highway and going fast in a straight line. And that as I've said before, is not Sport Riding. You're much better of getting a Sport Tourer or Cruiser and will enjoy the experience much more.''( quote)

Last edited by air870 : 23rd February 2011 at 03:36. Reason: The quote from an another reply has not shown as such
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Hey, is there any update on delivery?
Waiting for a first impression cum ride report. And, do post up a few videos of your monster, when you get around to that.
The dealer is still quoting 15th of next month unfortunately.

Most Viewed