Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2006, 08:52   #1
BHPian

SUV options this year?

Honda: Any variant of the CRV expected this year?
Hyundai: Any variant of the Tuscon this year?
Ford: Would there be a CRDi version of the Ford Endeavour?
Toyota: Looks like the Toyota Fortuner is not going to be launched this year.
GM: Any idea if they will increase the power of the forrester? New version?
Suzuki - They were talking of new SUV to compete with the CRV/Tuscon - this year?
Skoda: Nothing this year
Old 31st January 2006, 09:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Honda: Focus will be on getting the new civic rolled out so fat chance
Hyundai: Minor variants, not much else
Ford: There is a new version out in Thailand so expect something new?
Toyota: With the Innova slow down, there might be a change of heart - prod line flexibility + easy indo thai tariffs means anything can happen
GM: Forester selling badly, volumes do not justify doing any mega revamps
Suzuki - Escudo/Grand Vitara might come in fully imported but will cost
Skoda: They do not make SUV's ...yet
Old 31st January 2006, 09:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Toyota: With the Innova slow down, there might be a change of heart - prod line flexibility + easy indo thai tariffs means anything can happen
I am REALLY waiting for the Fortuner to happen

GTO
Old 31st January 2006, 14:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mitsu is coming with outlander for sure. I guess thats the omly launch if the fortuner does not happen
Old 31st January 2006, 14:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

I see a few of the new Grand Vitaras on the road now and they look quite neat and clean - not too many aggressive design cues, but still looks the part. Some people may find it a bit boring, but its still WAY ahead of the Fortuner in terms of looks. I personally find the Fortuner quite ugly and ungainly.

The engine is quite smooth and seems to pack a wallop. Interiors are again clean and even if black look much better than those on the Fortuner. The Fortuner has a cramped middle row, too - probably the result of trying to push in 3 rows of seats. On the inside (and to a large extent on the outside as well) it looks pretty much like the Innova.

Between the two, I'd put my money on the Grand Vitara. It helps that its cheaper than the Fortuner out here - the top variant of the FOrtuner (4.5 L V6) is priced above the likes of the Cherokee and the Dodge Durango....but Toyota sells at an unrealistic premium in this market where you may find the Mondeo cheaper than the Corolla.
Old 31st January 2006, 15:16   #6
BANNED

Rest assured, the Fortuner will not be out anywhere before end 2007-early 2008. For our kind of usage (how many times will we or how many of us will really go (serious) off-roading? Be honest!), the Honda CR-V and Nissan X-Trail are the best amongst the options available to us. However, the X-Trail attracts INR 10L extra thanks to duties and the CR-V is due for a change in 2007. While the Grand Vitara looks good to some and my cousin owns one, I really dont think it makes a good buy... Not saying it's a bad buy, but it's not a good buy either. If you want a really good SUV kind of a vehicle, wait till 2007-08 and buy either the new Honda CR-V or the Toyota Fortuner.

If all of the above gets too depressing and/ or confusing... Just rob a bank and buy me a Toyota Prado... I'll cheer you up by letting you borrow it once a year for a drive to the beach and back.
Old 2nd February 2006, 07:24   #7
BHPian

Outlander date/price

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Mitsu is coming with outlander for sure. I guess thats the omly launch if the fortuner does not happen
Does anyone have a price\positioning\date of the release? It seems to be powered by a 160bph engine (we thought the cedia was going to have the same and they came out with a lower powered engine ;-(.. ) One can never say till the launch date i guess
Old 2nd February 2006, 11:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

ACI Feb issue has a feature on Outlander. According to ACI, it is expected to be launched at 15 lakh price bracket. Mitsu probably wants to undercut CRV.
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I should watch this thread closely as we need to upgrade from the Endeavour.... its been over 2 yrs and I feel the car aging already....even though it's run brilliantly over the years i can now feel problems arising ..the suspensions gotten worse and a few sqeeks and rattles. Engines feeling all the more heavier for some reason and noise levels have increased. We have another endeavour in poona and that one just feels so much smoother wether its the gear shifts or the clutch that cars far better .. i guess coz that was bought a almost 8-9 months later and our bombay car was the 3rd one in bombay...they probably made some changes after the 1st batch.
I am waitin for the Fortuner and will give up the endeavour without a doubt the minute Toyota makes the launch. I suppose its this year. The Mitsu Pajero lookalike SUV seems nice too but Toyota would be more reliable and better VFM i am sure.
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Between the two, I'd put my money on the Grand Vitara
But not many would,because it dosent have the badge to click in the mini SUV market even when the Vitara is one of the best real mini-SUV's(it is a real off-roader,not a proxy one)out there.it sells well in UK and australia but in india it wont.

But out of this bunch the Outlander and The vitara are the best bets in the current year.The biggest iquestion is whether they will have a diesel option?i doubt the vitara will.
Old 8th February 2006, 00:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
I am waitin for the Fortuner and will give up the endeavour without a doubt the minute Toyota makes the launch. I suppose its this year. The Mitsu Pajero lookalike SUV seems nice too but Toyota would be more reliable and better VFM i am sure.
I don't think the Fortuner will make an appearance before end 2007; if the Outlander comes, that's the only fresh option we have else it still looks like the Endeavour to me. The CRV & X-trail would not suit my Budget either in terms of purchase or running costs
Old 21st February 2006, 16:36   #12
BANNED

2006: Not so good for SUVs/ Crossovers

From what I was told last week, we can't expect the Outlander anytime before 2007.
Old 21st February 2006, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Ford: There is a new version out in Thailand so expect something new?
Ajmat, any details on what's new with the Thailand one, is it a new model altogether or some upgrades only?
Old 21st February 2006, 20:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

I think it has a new snout and engine
Old 23rd February 2006, 19:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Well, On the flip side there is also the labour unrest at the TKM factories.

Quote:
Skoda: They do not make SUV's ...yet
Check out the Yeti-2 from Skoda.

Most Viewed