Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 12:06   #106
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Build quality
of Fortuner is two notches below Yeti? I don't know what to say, if you are also including overall build quality, including the quality of the platform and toughness of the 4WD system.

So what are your views regarding relative reliability of the two vehicles?
This reminds me to careful about giving sweeping statements in my posts. I was referring to the apparent finesse - mainly to eyes and the feel inside the cars.

Yeti is too new for me to make a definite statement about its reliability vis-a-vis Fortuner.

In its 30,000 km Fortuner that I am speaking about has never broken down on me - neither has Innova, nor for that matter my 12 year old Santro, with 1,00,000+ km on its odo. Yeti has given me 16000 km of trouble free service thus far and continues to fly exactly as it did on day one, in spite of traveling on very challenging surfaces. I am gentle with it and treat it with care and affection. But so I do with any other car. I think it will last a long time. So will Fortuner or the Jazz and of course the little Santro.

I still maintain that when I sit in a Fortuner, the insides remind me of an Innova - with a rather bumpy ride. To my ears it is noisier than Yeti. The feel of seats and knobs also does not reflect 20 lakh+ car.

Sit in a Yeti and it sort of emulates a car that is at least 6 lakh more expensive. It sports a modern engine that adorns cars like Audi. Fit and finish could be compared with a C-class Merc or 3 series BMW. Add to this six airbags, a brilliant music system, climate control with de-oderising filters, great FE, attention to little details and thoroughly a driver's car. Something grandmother is comfortable in and kids love it. It sports a Haldex clutch is used by many very respected names. Has a proven traction control and range of other technologies which actively and passively keep you from harm's way.

Yet I find Yeti overpriced by at a couple of lakh. In the same breath Fortuner should be priced at the levels which Yeti is priced today. Having said that I also believe that price has got little to do with cost. That is the reality of market economics.
Old 12th July 2011, 08:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

I recently had some interesting experiences from the dealers:

Chevrolet: I wanted a TD of the Captiva. They never called me. Recently a lady called me from Sundaram motors asking what I would want...

Vinayak Skoda: three weeks after the TD, the SM follows-up!

Nissan: This is the most interesting: I booked the TD on a monday. The SM never shows up, until wednesday evening, when he calls me and asks me if he can come then (that's about 7pm). He told me he was sick on monday so could not make it. I booked the TD for the following day at 11AM. This gentleman calls me at 11:30 telling me he's at NICE Road-BG Road junction and where must he go (after I'd provided him the correct directions to my housse). I could not help it but tell him, a left turn would take him to hosur road and a right turn would lead to mysore road. LOL!

After explaining the entire directions once again, he reached my home at 11:45AM. My idea was to have a TD between 11 and 11:30, and between 11:30 and 12, he could explain me the features & benefits and as I had a meeting at 12noon.

This meant I had to take a very short TD within my apartment complex. I asked him on how we may compare the fortuner with x-trail. His answer: Sir, you cant compare the fortuner with x-trail as that has a 3 liter engine while this has a 2 liter engine. You simply take a TD and you'll know!
He was in no position to explain anything as he was then busy following up with other customers! I then asked him for a brochure, which he gave me after much searching. He had no visiting card or price list. Till date he's not provided me the price list!

How do you expect such companies to sell cars!

regards,

Nitin
Old 12th July 2011, 10:47   #108
BHPian

Quote:

Build quality
of Fortuner is two notches below Yeti? I don't know what to say, if you are also including overall build quality, including the quality of the platform and toughness of the 4WD system.

So what are your views regarding relative reliability of the two vehicles?
Agreed,
T Forte is a hardcore SUV in this price range. If anybody wants a full sized SUV, then why should compare it with Yeti? ( yeti is more like jacked-up Fabia)
Skoda engineering is good but not reliable. I visited workshop many times to fix klicking noise from DSG. Now I avoid Laura for long trip, I fear DSG will break down any time.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

The Yeti and the Laura are great vehicles, for specific usage scenarios. I haven't driven the Yeti, but I drove the Laura TSI, and loved it. But given the kind of trips I do and want to do, I am willing to sacrifice some high speed performance and luxury for extra toughness and reliability.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

Nobody has any doubts on the Skoda, its just the thought of service that deters everybody. The challenge with european companies is that they cant seem to manufacture the spares or assemble in any country other than their origin, as this would lead to profits for the company but employment for the foreign country nationals!

Hence they've to manufacture everything in their respective countries and ship to the customer country which proves expensive. Also, they may have a contract with the shipping companies for a certain quantity/weight-age, so unless this is reached, they may not ship the spares, which adds to the delay.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:38   #111
Senior - BHPian

Not just the A.S.S. Other European manufacturers - including Mercedes, BMW and parent VW etc. seem to be having some issues with reliability, from what I read in this forum. So I would also be a little apprehensive about Skoda's reliability when taking the road less traveled.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

I've booked my fortuner and now awaiting delivery, which should be in the coming two weeks. I have a question on the alloy wheels; I really liked the landcruiser prado alloys and am considering replacing with these, however these are 17" as opposed to the 16" alloys of the fortuner. So would this replacement be possible?

If not, how about aftermarket alloys? Are they good enough? I have heard from users that aftermarket alloys are risky because they may not match well resulting in vibrations and other stability issues.

Please suggest me the best way out or whether to stick with stock alloys.

regards,

Nitin
Old 16th July 2011, 19:19   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Everyone!

I've booked my fortuner and now awaiting delivery, which should be in the coming two weeks.

regards,

Nitin
Many many congratulations on acquiring the vehicle. Wishing you miles and miles of trouble free, safe and enjoyable driving.
Old 16th July 2011, 20:08   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I've booked my fortuner and now awaiting delivery, which should be in the coming two weeks. I have a question on the alloy wheels; I really liked the landcruiser prado alloys and am considering replacing with these, however these are 17" as opposed to the 16" alloys of the fortuner. So would this replacement be possible?

If not, how about aftermarket alloys? Are they good enough? I have heard from users that aftermarket alloys are risky because they may not match well resulting in vibrations and other stability issues.

regards,

Nitin
The alloys of the Fortuner are 17" and not 16". Also even aftermarket rims, as long as the pcd is correct should not cause a problem.
Old 16th July 2011, 20:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

@akshay1234: What is PCD? Would the LC Prado alloys match for the fortuner?
Old 16th July 2011, 21:50   #116
BHPian

LC Prado is 18" not 17". So Not a good choice, go for after market if you are keen on replacing stock
Old 18th July 2011, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

I further had a call from Nissan, as I had also test driven the X-trail. Though this is a nice vehicle, I could not justify the price. The sales man finally offered to have the vehicle registered at Pondicherry, so that I may save some money in registration!

What unethical practices!

We should be more careful when buying from such dealers, as they may be resorting to anything to make a sale.

regards,

Nitin
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 11:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Nitin!

Hope to come across you someday, driving through some exotic locale...(rather than in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore).
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 13:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Nitin!

Hope to come across you someday, driving through some exotic locale...(rather than in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore).

Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 18th July 2011, 14:38   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the T-Fort and wishing you many happy miles in it!

Quote:
The sales man finally offered to have the vehicle registered at Pondicherry, so that I may save some money in registration!

What unethical practices!

We should be more careful when buying from such dealers, as they may be resorting to anything to make a sale.

Nitin
Agreed. Also, you will not get away with driving a PY registered vehicle in Karnataka for long!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks