Originally Posted by aquavelva View Post
Abi : Helix clutch.

Sorry the clutch is Haldex Clutch
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Purchase Advice on a Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
1. Front Mud Flaps: These cost Rs 900, and are availablewith Skoda dealers. Takes about 15 minutes to fix. Get these before you take delivery.
2. Floor Mats: The ones available from Skoda are expensive. The dealer himselfmay have aftermarket ones. My wife bought a set of clear plastic (no plastic smell) generic floor-mats for Rs 800. These come with markings to cut them to fit.
I have also seen moulded floor mats which are vehicle specific. They are called 3D mats and fit exactly. Because they fit like pans on the floor,they are better at collecting all the rubbish and you could empty them out like a tray. I recall having read a post on BHP forums, but couldn't locate it today. These are expensive. In Pune I was quoted Rs 5k and I didn't think it was worth the price.
3. The films that really cut our heat and are transparent are quite expensive. The Vkool V-70 (I think) that I have on my Jazz cost us Rs 30,000 (Front Side back). The Blaupunkt Arctic on Yeti around 25,000. These are good. But you need to be surethat you are dealing with rightpeople. It is rather easy for the vendor to substitute a Rs 30K film with the one available for say 10K and you wouldn't be able to make the difference by looks. But it willnot perform. I got mine done from the Blaupunkt India (Mumbai) themselves, and they themselves acknowledged that they werehaving issues with their dealers indulging in these malpractices. Blaupunkt comes with a 10 year warranty - if you believe that!
Thanks a lot for the help. I promise I won't be driving illegally, just one more year. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The 3D mats are good and worth the cost. They are imported and available at these locations.
Thanks, but there seem to be no dealers in the NCR. The North Zone number is prolly from Punjab.
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavelva View Post
Abi : The Yeti is available with a discount. I was offered a 35k discount in Mumbai. Your dad may like to ask for a discount. They are also having a Skoda celebration.

Nice choice and perfect reason for opting for the chosen vehicle. I found the Helix clutch surprising. Needs getting used to. Happy passenger seat riding.
We did get a 35k corporate discount because of the Skoda Celebrations, but nothing more than that.
I'll let Dad know about the Haldex clutch point of yours.

UPDATE: The Yeti in Aqua Mist shade has arrived at the Gurgaon stockyard. To be available with the dealer soon. Will soon carry out the PDI and post pictures with more details.
Watch this space! =)
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi AbiDas,

I'd suggest you to visit the stockyard, have a proper look at the vehicle and make a note of the VIN and verify. This is generally a good practice.

Am expecting a user/owner review soon!
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
We did get a 35k corporate discount because of the Skoda Celebrations, but nothing more than that.
I'll let Dad know about the Haldex clutch point of yours.

UPDATE: The Yeti in Aqua Mist shade has arrived at the Gurgaon stockyard. To be available with the dealer soon. Will soon carry out the PDI and post pictures with more details.
Watch this space! =)
There is no issue with the Haldex clutch. It's part of the 4X4 system and plays its role without driver intervention.

The real issue is that if you allow the RPM to drop below 1000 and then release the clutch the vehicle tends to stall. Having said that if you realease the clutch gently then you can get Yeti to move without touching the accelerator. The clutch/accelerator coordination will need a little getting used. But that happens on many cars - especially when you switch from petrol to diesel or vice-versa. You'll also need to downshift any time the RPM falls below 1000 RPM in any gear.

There have been instances - including mines - when dealers have delivered the car with abnormally high tire pressure. My Yeti was delivered with tire pressure in excess of 50 PSI. Ensure that tire pressure is adjusted to 32 psi front and 34-36 psi rear.

Some BHPians find even this excessive. But these are the figures from the manual for lightly to moderately loaded Yeti.

Higher pressure in tire makes for a bumpy and uncomfortable ride.
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

I would second Sushil on that. I'd test driven the Yeti and if you release the clutch slowly even at low rpms, it wont stall. I'd also driven the vehicle on second gear from stationary point.

I am hoping Skoda would really initiate and start providing better service, so that it becomes a competition to the Fortuner. As of now, Toyota dealers behave like "buy it if you want". There are no discounts and a two months wait period :(
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The stalling issue is common to most Skoda and VW manual cars sold here. I stalled the TSI twice when i drove it for the first time, i also stalled Yeti and Jetta. In comparison most other Diesels do not stall even when moving without any accelerator input, For Example my Punto can be driven without accelerator input and does not stall even with sudden clutch release, similar was the case of my Elantra.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:29   #38
BHPian

Abi, congrats on your new Yeti!!

I'll be waiting for pictures of your new baby! As my uncle found out, Skoda can be a real pain when it comes to A.S.S, but the way they drive makes you forget everything else!!
Old 4th July 2011, 08:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The stalling issue is common to most Skoda and VW manual cars sold here. I stalled the TSI twice when i drove it for the first time, i also stalled Yeti and Jetta. In comparison most other Diesels do not stall even when moving without any accelerator input, For Example my Punto can be driven without accelerator input and does not stall even with sudden clutch release, similar was the case of my Elantra.
@Anshuman

This characteristic of Skoda/VW appears to be by design rather than default.

Would you have any idea why this might be so? I have seen a couple of explanations mentioned in some posts - aka light flywheel, better fuel efficiency. However they are all tentative and speculative.

Surely there must be a more concrete and convincing explanation!
Old 4th July 2011, 10:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The real issue is that if you allow the RPM to drop below 1000 and then release the clutch the vehicle tends to stall. Having said that if you realease the clutch gently then you can get Yeti to move without touching the accelerator. The clutch/accelerator coordination will need a little getting used. But that happens on many cars - especially when you switch from petrol to diesel or vice-versa. You'll also need to downshift any time the RPM falls below 1000 RPM in any gear.
Yes, the clutch in my Laura TSI also required some getting used to. I stalled it a few times during my first few days. After a few drives one does realise at what point of release, the car will stall. It just a a little early compared to other cars which is the reason why people tend to stall it the first time they drive it. I have never stalled my car ever since those first couple of days.

Now that I have gotten used to the clutch on my Laura , I tend to over rev while taking off, while driving my Corolla
Old 4th July 2011, 19:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Now that I have gotten used to the clutch on my Laura , I tend to over rev while taking off, while driving my Corolla
Exactly like I tend to over rev my Jazz, having got used to the Yeti. Besides the controls for light and wiper around the steering are placed just the opposite for the two cars.

The latch for opening the bonnet is placed on the passenger side, which too is quite annoying - particularly when hotel or other security wants to inspect the space under the bonnet and I am the only person in the car.

Besides Yeti's clutch is also harder than that of Jazz, which has one of the lightest clutches in my experience. Sorry for going off the thread, but your comment is simply too tempting to ignore.
Old 4th July 2011, 23:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The latch for opening the bonnet is placed on the passenger side, which too is quite annoying - particularly when hotel or other security wants to inspect the space under the bonnet and I am the only person in the car.
I didn't even know there was a latch like this on the passenger side. I just use the "unlock all doors" button on the central console tunnel to release the boot lock for inspection !
GloryManUnited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 01:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi AbiDas,

I'd suggest you to visit the stockyard, have a proper look at the vehicle and make a note of the VIN and verify. This is generally a good practice.

Am expecting a user/owner review soon!
The car was sent from the stockyard to the dealer's the morning after it arrived from the Aurangabad plant. We went to check it out in the afternoon - it's beautiful. =)

Quote:
There have been instances - including mines - when dealers have delivered the car with abnormally high tire pressure. My Yeti was delivered with tire pressure in excess of 50 PSI. Ensure that tire pressure is adjusted to 32 psi front and 34-36 psi rear.
We'll have the type pressure checked when we take delivery - which will definitely be sometime this week. I'm just hoping they give us enough diesel to travel back home/to the nearest petrol bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I am hoping Skoda would really initiate and start providing better service, so that it becomes a competition to the Fortuner. As of now, Toyota dealers behave like "buy it if you want". There are no discounts and a two months wait period :(
Yes, Toyota dealers can show quite an attitude when it comes to the Fortuner. Here in Delhi the waiting period is 4 months - they warn you beforehand and only book the mini-bus(!) for the oh-so-desperate customers.

I've been told by some people that Skoda service has improved tremendously. The only complaints that we read on the forums are pretty old and mostly Fabia-oriented (there was a certain problem with the older diesel version). I can't imagine a European car-maker providing sub-par servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Abi, congrats on your new Yeti!!

I'll be waiting for pictures of your new baby! As my uncle found out, Skoda can be a real pain when it comes to A.S.S, but the way they drive makes you forget everything else!!
Haha, true. Just checked out the vehicle on Sunday. Haven't been able to upload the pictures yet, but they'll be coming soon!

Quote:
This characteristic of Skoda/VW appears to be by design rather than default.

Would you have any idea why this might be so? I have seen a couple of explanations mentioned in some posts - aka light flywheel, better fuel efficiency. However they are all tentative and speculative.

Surely there must be a more concrete and convincing explanation!
It's another guess, but it has probably something to do with the light-footedness of Europeans. Since these cars, or the Yeti for that matter, is a completely-knocked-down (CKD) unit being imported from the Czech Republic, I'm pretty sure it is manufactured keeping European standards (driving habits) in minds.
AFAIK, Europeans hate revving their vehicles, and most of them who've driven me around just release the clutch without pressing the accelerator when starting off. It's more like a habit, but I'm not sure if that's how cars are being manufactured these days. -_-

A question though: I have taken a few pictures of our car pre-registration. Should I post them on this thread, or shall I make an Ownership thread and start it off with pre-delivery pictures?
Old 5th July 2011, 08:19   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
A question though: I have taken a few pictures of our car pre-registration. Should I post them on this thread, or shall I make an Ownership thread and start it off with pre-delivery pictures?
My suggestion is to have it all as a part of the detailed ownership thread. A teaser pic here may not do any harm though
Congratulations again!
Old 10th July 2011, 12:33   #45
BHPian

Got delivery of our Yeti last evening.
Not a perfect dealership experience, but will post about it in the Initial Ownership Review.
Another thing that may surprise you all (it certainly surprised me) is that our Yeti is a Brilliant Silver, not an Aqua Mist shade. That is the result of another confusing blunder, but more on that in the Ownership thread, the link of which I shall post as soon as I write it.
Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks