Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Purchase Advice on a Skoda Yeti

Booked the wonderful Skoda Yeti recently, but I'm still undecided on the colour that I want.

I'm only considering the following three colours though - Aqua Mist, Mato Brown and Brilliant Silver.
I've seen the Aqua Mist Yeti during Auto Shows, and saw the Silver one at the dealership.
But I'd like suggestions from BHPians who have seen all three in flesh, because the Wallpapers/Official pictures don't give me a clear idea of the actual shade.
I need to decide within 2 days regarding the colour.

Secondly, my dealer (in case I go for the Silver shade) told me that he would give me the vehicle that is on display at the showroom. I wasn't very happy about that, knowing that everybody, including myself, likes to work the buttons, switches, gears while inspecting it. I would not feel comfortable about paying 18 lacs and still getting just a display item.
What do I do? Do you deem it alright to buy a display item with no additional discount? Would it not have maintenance issues much earlier than non-display vehicles, with all the manhandling done by everybody?

Thirdly, I will be inspecting the vehicle I receive before its registration. I'll also be checking its VIN. How much is the maximum permissible (of course not legally) age of a vehicle I should buy? And how much should it have been driven around at the most?
Anything in particular that I should watch out for, apart from scratches and dents?

Thanks a ton in advance. =)
Old 26th June 2011, 16:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti - Purchase Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
Secondly, my dealer (in case I go for the Silver shade) told me that he would give me the vehicle that is on display at the showroom. I wasn't very happy about that, knowing that everybody, including myself, likes to work the buttons, switches, gears while inspecting it. I would not feel comfortable about paying 18 lacs and still getting just a display item.
What do I do? Do you deem it alright to buy a display item with no additional discount? Would it not have maintenance issues much earlier than non-display vehicles, with all the manhandling done by everybody?
You have to insist on additional discount. Do you know for how long it has been on display? If it has spent few months, you should insist on substantial discount .There wont be any takers for this car without discount and they have to offer discount.
Old 26th June 2011, 21:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You have to insist on additional discount. Do you know for how long it has been on display? If it has spent few months, you should insist on substantial discount .There wont be any takers for this car without discount and they have to offer discount.
It's been in the showroom since March 2011.
You think it's still alright to buy it? Won't I be encountering early maintenance issues?
Plus, I kinda feel like buying a used car.. =/
Old 26th June 2011, 22:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

@AbiDas: First of all, buying a Skoda itself is a big risk, on top of that you're considering purchasing a vehicle on display! I admire your risk taking ability. Between, I'm considering between a Yeti and a Fortuner, any specific reason why you finalized on the Yeti?
Old 27th June 2011, 00:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I admire your risk taking ability. Between, I'm considering between a Yeti and a Fortuner, any specific reason why you finalized on the Yeti?
Hahaha..you'd have to admire my dad's risk-taking abilities then. Mine haven't started yet, not with 17. =)

There were a couple of reasons we chose the Yeti. Listed in order of preference:
1) The price factor. My folks are scientists, and we lead a modest middle class life in suburban Delhi. We had a limited budget, and the Yeti was way above it. But my father was very passionate about this car, so he somehow made it happen. A Fortuner was just too pricey.
3) Manouverability. We found the Yeti to be very capable in city traffic, because that is where we are most of the time. You're located in Bangalore, if I'm not mistaken. Lived there, hated its traffic. I'd definitely recommend the Yeti for the haywire, clumsy city roads. Reading reviews on TBHP told us a lot about it driveability and handling. Believe it or not, we haven't taken the Yeti for a TD at all. I believe the Fortuner is just too bulky, more like a mini-bus.
2) The European Connection. Brought up in Germany, I always had a fascination for European cars and German engineering. Skoda, a part of the VW Group, was the closest we could get.
3) Interiors. I've only seen equivalent interiors in a luxury sedan. After seeing the Yeti, I was surprised a cross-over could have such amazing interior quality. The Fortuner's interiors are monotonous.
4) The Dream. My Dad's been dreaming to own an SUV for a few years now. It's always been the price factor that stopped him. A Scorpio/Safari was the initial goal. But Dad wanted a compact yet big car, perfect for city traffic as well as for long road trips. The Yeti fit in perfectly.
And it'll soon be parked in our garage. =D

Last edited by AbiDas : 27th June 2011 at 00:21.
Old 27th June 2011, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha..you'd have to admire my dad's risk-taking abilities then. Mine haven't started yet, not with 17. =)

There were a couple of reasons we chose the Yeti. Listed in order of preference:
1) The price factor. My folks are scientists, and we lead a modest middle class life in suburban Delhi. We had a limited budget, and the Yeti was way above it. But my father was very passionate about this car, so he somehow made it happen. A Fortuner was just too pricey.
3) Manouverability. We found the Yeti to be very capable in city traffic, because that is where we are most of the time. You're located in Bangalore, if I'm not mistaken. Lived there, hated its traffic. I'd definitely recommend the Yeti for the haywire, clumsy city roads. Reading reviews on TBHP told us a lot about it driveability and handling. Believe it or not, we haven't taken the Yeti for a TD at all. I believe the Fortuner is just too bulky, more like a mini-bus.
2) The European Connection. Brought up in Germany, I always had a fascination for European cars and German engineering. Skoda, a part of the VW Group, was the closest we could get.
3) Interiors. I've only seen equivalent interiors in a luxury sedan. After seeing the Yeti, I was surprised a cross-over could have such amazing interior quality. The Fortuner's interiors are monotonous.
4) The Dream. My Dad's been dreaming to own an SUV for a few years now. It's always been the price factor that stopped him. Even a Scorpio/Safari was a initial goal. But Dad wanted a compact yet big car, perfect for city traffic as well as for long road trips. The Yeti fit in perfectly.
And it'll soon be parked in our garage. =D

AbhiDas, no problems with your choice. The Yeti is a fantastic car. It is unfortunate that most people in our country equate the price with the size of the car.

But, why a display car? You are spending such a huge amount and you don't want to have any doubts in your mind..would you?
Also, the car is already 4 months old.

If I were in your place, I would not have ever thought of buying a display car even if the dealer offered a hefty discount.

If you haven' taken the delivery yet, I would strongly advise you not to buy the display car.
Old 27th June 2011, 00:32   #7
BHPian

Adi, exactly what I was saying to Dad!
We'd never feel like sitting in a new car, it's just not right. Our dealer's ordered the Aqua Mist shade for us as well, and we'll take a final decision after we've seen it. But I'm simply not ready to take a display vehicle home. I'll show your post to Dad. He trusts BHPians a lot. Hopefully he'll refuse the dealer more strongly and push him to order a new car, even if we choose Silver.

But one thing : I got to know that finished Yetis are stored for about a month and a half at the Skoda plant. Is this a normal practice? Or is it just because there aren't enough orders to cater to?
Old 27th June 2011, 00:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the Yeti does not sell in very high volumes finding a Yeti in color of your choice in stock would not be a tough task. Just try with some other dealer. I would never take the display car. Do not forget to negotiate the discount.

Which Dealership are you talking about here?
Old 27th June 2011, 00:57   #9
BHPian

Why don't you go for Mato Brown, I have that colour, it looks great! I don't like the silver in comparison. In case you guys still decide on silver get a different car rather than the display model, it's your money and you have the decision to take or leave its not sales guys who is going to decide, you can even check the VIN and other details before getting the cars, don't rush to get the display car!
-Pramod
Old 27th June 2011, 01:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Which Dealership are you talking about here?
Finding the colour isn't an issue. All the colours would be available within 2-3 weeks.
The Aqua Mist is currently on its way. Even with a discount, I think I'll manage to convince Dad against taking the display vehicle.

We're dealing with Nawab Motors, Noida. And apparently, we can't deal with any other showroom because of some Skoda policy of every dealer having their own territory.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Why don't you go for Mato Brown, I have that colour, it looks great! I don't like the silver in comparison. In case you guys still decide on silver get a different car rather than the display model, it's your money and you have the decision to take or leave its not sales guys who is going to decide, you can even check the VIN and other details before getting the cars, don't rush to get the display car!
-Pramod
Thanks Pramod!
We saw the Mato Brown one today. We had a few reservations though : the brown color would look black at night, hence no "floating roof effect". The silver one is a common shade, which wouldn't really make the car stand out in terms of colour. But on the positive side, touch-up applications will be easier to perform, with the colour readily available in the market. Also, my folks rather like the silver one, maybe because we have a Maruti Alto in silver, and we simply love it.
Just waiting for more suggestions and a sighting of the Aqua Mist at the end of this week..
Old 27th June 2011, 08:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

I will say stay away from the showroom piece. An that too its a Skoda. Is there any particular rush that you want to go for a showroom piece?

Patience is the key. Its after all your money.
Old 27th June 2011, 08:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been in the showroom since March 2011.
You think it's still alright to buy it? Won't I be encountering early maintenance issues?
Plus, I kinda feel like buying a used car.. =/
If there is a huge incentive, may be yes, but not otherwise. People would have fiddled with the controls and the doors would have been opened and shut few thousand times. You may be able to see the fingernail scratches etc.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hahaha..you'd have to admire my dad's risk-taking abilities then…
…The Yeti fit in perfectly.
And it'll soon be parked in our garage.
Excellent choice, and definitely you are not taking a risk there.

I will strongly recommend staying away from the display piece (unless they are giving you a discount of 100K+ for a shop-soiled piece). And the dealer definitely cannot insist on you to buy a display piece, because of the colour you selected.

On the choice of colour – I am a big fan on silver shade, but somehow I personally did not like the Silver shade on the Yeti. It gave me a kind of remote control like feel (it could be just me).

My suggestion will be to go with the Mato Brown. It’s quite unique, looks classy, and it may not highlight dirt as much as some other shades. And then, brown is the flavor of the season.

Other than Mato Brown, I liked the Yeti in white and black.

Congratulations once again!

Note: I liked your dad’s risk taking abilities, and the corresponding reasons quoted. Good to see requirements driving the decision, rather than size and road presence.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:32   #15
BHPian

Hi AbiDas,

Excellent choice! Unless you are getting a significant discount, please do not buy the showroom model, and, perhaps even not then. I doubt if I would buy the showroom model unless I was getting a minimum of 3 lacs discount.
The turbo in the car is a high boost turbo, try not to drive the car in a spirited manner until the engine heats up and oil starts flowing through assembly at the correct temperature. Also give the car a minute or two before killing the engine, this will help avoid any potential turbo issues. I hope you are happy with your selection !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks