Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 20:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

MAS, for the family-Innova.In fact for you too,it is Innova.

Fortuner IMHO,is a glorified car-Unless you really want to go off-roading,buy the Innova and save the change for a new Honda Brio

You will have peace of mind and both a fantastic long distance runner and a stylish,chic city traverser for the price of a Fortuner. Fortuner,I doubt, has lost its short lived monopoly as a style statement.
Old 15th July 2011, 23:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
You will have peace of mind and both a fantastic long distance runner and a stylish,chic city traverser for the price of a Fortuner. Fortuner,I doubt, has lost its short lived monopoly as a style statement.
But its still selling some 800-1k units each month. Though I agree its become way too common now.
Old 16th July 2011, 07:09   #33
BHPian

Hi MAS ,

Did you book a vehicle finally ? If yes which one . I and many others here are really really eager to know . By the way I was reading the news paper a couple of days ago and read about the Land Rover Discovery which has been launched in India at 27 Lakhs . If you are willing to strech your budget by so much you might want to take a look at that too . But I guess in 27 you can buy the TFort and the Innova
Old 16th July 2011, 13:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But its still selling some 800-1k units each month. Though I agree its become way too common now.
Agreed.But then it commanded a waiting period of more than 6 months-and at one stage they had to stop accepting booking. Now with the X1 and probably with the entry of Q3,Fortuner will be just one of the many OK SUVs to consider.

But Innova-which vehicle in that price range has Innova's quality? Sedan's may brag a bit about image value,but no one can deny the unbeatable comfort and practicality that Innova offers.

Hence in my frank opinion,it is practical to buy an Innova,which owners are swearing to give excellent value for money and use the rest of the cash to buy another stylish and offbeat small car like the Brio. Unless the owner wants bullying abilities- if the car is purely chosen with the family in mind,Innova is definitely the better choice(with the assumption that the family is not intersted in bullying abilities and off-roading adrenalin rush etc etc)
Old 16th July 2011, 13:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now with the X1 and probably with the entry of Q3,Fortuner will be just one of the many OK SUVs to consider.
@Mas

Quite clearly the Innova is the more practical and comfortable vehicle which meets your needs from the head. But wait! There is a need to satisfy the heart too!!! And that seems to come from the Fortuner. Enough to dole out the extra moolah.

Quite agree with charthom, that with the newer launches, the feel-good factor of the Fortuner will become much lesser. So factor that in mind when you are looking at spending that extra bunch of cash - that it may get you only so much of the 'feel good' about the Fortuner.

Now this is a very personal opinion and possibly biased (and with no offence meant to ones who love this vehicle). I have NO experience with the Fortuner; but from the outside, the Fortuner never did it for me. Gives me the feeling of "I am also there", "please count me in as one of the biggie SUV's" sort of feel. In terms of presence and appeal the Endevour works, however it fails miserably in rear seat comfort (though the newer ones are a tad better). X1, CRV, Outlander have a different sort of an appeal - sort of charm, however not suitable for you.

Where does that leave you? Well, wait and save more and go for one of the newer launches, which then actually do give you that bang for buck with a lot more feel-good. Or save the bucks, be practical and choose the Innova now and let some of the feel-good part wait. But what the heck! If the Fortuner does it for you - junk this post!

PS: Captiva, Discovery?
Old 16th July 2011, 14:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Guys, don't give MAS wrong info. The Landrover Discovery 4 is launched for 27 lakhs in India? Where on earth did you get this piece of info? The journalists wrote that new variants will be launched in UK, and it will cost that much if you convert GBP to INR. Please do share...there will be a mile long queue to buy the Disc 4 then :-) The Freelander 2 will be launched around 30L (+/- a few lakhs), AFAIK. I hope you guys know the difference between the Freelander 2 and the Discovery 4. The Disc 4 will cost around 60-65 lakhs in India. Just FYI, the Freelander 2 is priced cheaper than or the same as the Fortuner in some places.

MAS: if you can afford it, and if your heart wants it, go for the Fortuner! You know what it can do...for someone who has wanderlust, visits roads less traveled and wants that toughness and reliability - important when traveling with family - it is a fantastic vehicle. I don't think you are considering it for 'I have arrived' or posing/mallroading type of reasons, are you? :-)

How did you parents find the vehicle? It becomes easy to climb up if one uses the footstep and the grip/handle...

For those who are recommending the Landys: You might want to read Manuuj's ownership reports - he owns a Range Rover as well as a Fortuner. Better to take first hand ownership experience into account...

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th July 2011 at 15:05.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 14:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Remember to follow your heart always.... because ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA...
Old 16th July 2011, 15:06   #38
BHPian

Hi MAS,

My Father in Law was too in this dilema, he had owned a Innova for more than 5 years and after selling that he bought a Fortuner. Trust me, if you want comfort especially on long drives nothing beats the Innova. You will be doing a great favour to your parents by buying this. He still repents not buying a new Innova.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hi MAS,

My Father in Law was too in this dilema, he had owned a Innova for more than 5 years and after selling that he bought a Fortuner. Trust me, if you want comfort especially on long drives nothing beats the Innova. You will be doing a great favour to your parents by buying this. He still repents not buying a new Innova.

Hope this helps.
Yes, on good roads the Innova is more comfortable than a Fortuner. The difference is most stark in the two captain seats in the middle row.

However, not all roads in India are good.
Old 16th July 2011, 16:27   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed. But then it commanded a waiting period of more than 6 months-and at one stage they had to stop accepting booking. Now with the X1 and probably with the entry of Q3,Fortuner will be just one of the many OK SUVs to consider.
But Innova-which vehicle in that price range has Innova's quality? Sedan's may brag a bit about image value, but no one can deny the unbeatable comfort and practicality that Innova offers.
Partially agree on what you mentioned above

Yes, with the launch of new SUV’s the Fortuner could become one of the many SUVs – but that competition is definitely not the X1 and Q3. These are an excuse for SUVs (phrase courtesy: GTO) and is best driven on roads. If someone is in the market for a Yeti kind of a vehicle, and have another 10 lakhs to stretch, I will probably recommend the X1/Q3.

That said, I would really like to see some good competition for the Fortuner. The Endeavour is not really up there for a fight.

Note: I would like to see more people buying the Fortuner (or similar vehicles) for its actual virtues (like Nilanjan), and not just for the imposing road presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Good one

@mas: If you are looking for a diesel softroader outside Toyota, maybe an X-trail or Captiva (if the face-lift is launched soon) will be worth looking at.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th July 2011 at 16:27. Reason: realigned
Old 16th July 2011, 22:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
if the car is purely chosen with the family in mind,Innova is definitely the better choice(with the assumption that the family is not intersted in bullying abilities and off-roading adrenalin rush etc etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Partially agree on what you mentioned above
vb-san,I was looking at it from the point of view of Fortuner/Innova for the family. For you to enjoy off roading or imposing road presence it is fine.As I mentioned in my above post.Take me-I would buy an Innova for the family rather than the Fortuner. IMHO,the Fortuner has no ability to satisfy my adrenalin rush and the family's need for comfort simultaneously.

But if I can afford,I will buy a Q3-for the family and myself. My prejudice(repeat prejudice) is that it is an all-rounder in this matter.
Old 16th July 2011, 23:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
vb-san,I was looking at it from the point of view of Fortuner/Innova for the family. For you to enjoy off roading or imposing road presence it is fine.As I mentioned in my above post.Take me-I would buy an Innova for the family rather than the Fortuner. IMHO,the Fortuner has no ability to satisfy my adrenalin rush and the family's need for comfort simultaneously.

But if I can afford,I will buy a Q3-for the family and myself. My prejudice(repeat prejudice) is that it is an all-rounder in this matter.
I think we’re quite aligned here. Sorry if I did not make myself clear there.

My partial disagreement was on this comment “Now with the X1 and probably with the entry of Q3, Fortuner will be just one of the many OK SUVs to consider”. For me these cars are in different league and cater different sensibilities and requirements. And X1/Q3 kind of vehicles may not make any impact on the Fortuner sales.

I am no fan of Fortuner and I am quite sure that I will never buy a Fortuner myself. Reasons (1) I am quite sure that I will not have kind of requirements / usage which can justify a Fortuner (2) Butch looks are not my personal preference.

The OP was to suggest between a Fortuner and an Innova, and though Innova is a better family car, I suggested Fortuner because I feel it offers more safety on highways compared to an Innova. Even on a state highway, compared to an Innova I felt more safer in a Corolla Altis. Maybe its just me.

OT: Q3 looks like a promising rival to the X1, and I guess cross-overs are ideal for Kerala especially with the kind of bad roads we have (not necessarily the super luxury ones though)
Old 18th July 2011, 11:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

With the arrival of X1 and Q3, there would be many SUVs to consider. However, if the user is considering 50% or less city and 50% or above off-roading, the Fortuner is more ideal, as it can withstand abuse.

The X1 and Q3 are entry level SUVs/cars from these vendors for users who just with to have a BMW/Audi at a cost effective option. These are similar to an Innova with 4WD capability, with more focus on comforts for the driver and passengers.

IMHO, the Skoda Yeti would be better than X1 or Q3 unless you're particular on owning a BMW or Audi. Its much cost effective with similar features and am sure the service quality and cost is on the same lines.

The Fortuner or Pajero is built with more focus on the usage than comfort.

I would say the preference of these cars depend on the usage pattern.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:08   #44
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
please dont compare the TFort with Prado, there is no comparison! (because TFort is based on a Pickup.....Hilux, i drive one in Dubai!)
Parm, no offense meant. It was only fair that when one could compare the interiors of Innova to a Fortuner; one could also compare the engines of a Fortuner and a LC Prado.

Quote:
MAS, for the family-Innova.In fact for you too,it is Innova.

Fortuner IMHO,is a glorified car-Unless you really want to go off-roading,buy the Innova and save the change for a new Honda Brio

Innova is no doubt a great MUV (or else how will it sell in such kind of numbers consistently with 6 - 8 weeks of waiting period). I believe that a car/vehicle is an extension of one's personality. Innova somehow looks like an Ambulance to me (from the sides) and that is the reason i am unable to accept an Innova. The sheer number of Innova's running on the road is also a turn down.

The amount i would save by going in for the Innova would be around 8 Lakhs and for this we can get a Jazz too. But i'm not being tempted for this as i would anyway have a Sedan/Hatch (ANHV/i20) for my daily use and a Fortuner for the weekend and for the long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hi MAS ,

Did you book a vehicle finally ? If yes which one . I and many others here are really really eager to know . By the way I was reading the news paper a couple of days ago and read about the Land Rover Discovery which has been launched in India at 27 Lakhs . If you are willing to strech your budget by so much you might want to take a look at that too . But I guess in 27 you can buy the TFort and the Innova
Since i am "inclined" towards a Fortuner, i have delayed my buying decision to save up some money. There are also strong "rumours" about the facelifted Fortuner with even better interiors. Land Rover Discovery at 27 Lakhs sounds anything but true. Having said that, after experiencing the Toyota Servicing and reading about the low cost of maintenance, i am inclined towards a Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@Mas

Quite clearly the Innova is the more practical and comfortable vehicle which meets your needs from the head. But wait! There is a need to satisfy the heart too!!! And that seems to come from the Fortuner. Enough to dole out the extra moolah.
You read out my mind my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Quite agree with charthom, that with the newer launches, the feel-good factor of the Fortuner will become much lesser. So factor that in mind when you are looking at spending that extra bunch of cash - that it may get you only so much of the 'feel good' about the Fortuner. PS: Captiva, Discovery?
I still drool over everytime i see a Fortuner. There are a number of newer cars in the market, but they are not from Toyota and hence i am not looking at them. Captiva was a good alternative, but when compared to Fortuner, i was not convinced with the looks, the A.S.S and the Used Car sales price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
MAS: if you can afford it, and if your heart wants it, go for the Fortuner! You know what it can do...for someone who has wanderlust, visits roads less traveled and wants that toughness and reliability - important when traveling with family - it is a fantastic vehicle. I don't think you are considering it for 'I have arrived' or posing/mallroading type of reasons, are you? :-)

How did you parents find the vehicle? It becomes easy to climb up if one uses the footstep and the grip/handle...

For those who are recommending the Landys: You might want to read Manuuj's ownership reports - he owns a Range Rover as well as a Fortuner. Better to take first hand ownership experience into account...

On good roads the Innova is more comfortable than a Fortuner. The difference is most stark in the two captain seats in the middle row. However, not all roads in India are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
@mas: If you are looking for a diesel softroader outside Toyota, maybe an X-trail or Captiva (if the face-lift is launched soon) will be worth looking at.
My heart still beats for the Fortuner. "Showing-off" is not me. If it was, then i would have opted for a X1 or something in that lines. I may start sounding like a Toyota fan, but i am not for the Landy. What i want is a rugged, tough, reliable, comfortable kind of 6+ seater Toyota for the family, that i can keep for say 5 - 7 years. The Sales Executive from Lanson Toyota is waiting for my okay to bring the Fortuner home so that we could test ride it together. I'm unable to make up the time to get my parents meet the Fortuner.

Most of the roads in Chennai are now pointing towards off-roading. Hence a test ride on these non-existent roads would give a better picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Exactly my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Is Fortuner that bad. After reading your post, i think i will arrange for a back-to-back test ride with my parents. Please let me know if your FIL owned a 8 seater or a 7 seater with captain seats.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thank you very much for your inputs.

Innova somehow looks like an Ambulance to me (from the sides) and that is the reason i am unable to accept an Innova. The sheer number of Innova's running on the road is also a turn down.

and a Fortuner for the weekend and for the long drives.

i am inclined towards a Toyota.

I still drool over everytime i see a Fortuner.

My heart still beats for the Fortuner.
Mate your heart is chanting Fortuner!! Why waste any time?Listen to it

Quote:
The Sales Executive from Lanson Toyota is waiting for my okay to bring the Fortuner home so that we could test ride it together. I'm unable to make up the time to get my parents meet the Fortuner.
Oh,just make up the time soon-best of luck for your TD.

Yes,the all wheel drive makes the Fortuner ride harsher than Innova. The middle row of Captain's seats on a 7 seater Innova is best for bad backs. Owners and users swear by it.

I have personally hired Innovs being the most ideal vehicle, on a no.of occasions to take my wife with back injury to hospital and once on long journey after 1.5 years on an emergency [my father was dying :-( ]

Still-some times,as you correctly mentioned,we identify ourselves with certain things- oblivious of demerits,if any. It is like falling in love with your woman. Irrespective of the defects,you know- she is the one for you.

Here,Fortuner is what you identify yourself with,it is what you want. No more logic,no more calculations-until you TD her or rather him.

Hope to read your ownership thread soon. Remember to post plenty of pictures. Best of luck. charthom.

Last edited by charthom : 18th July 2011 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks