Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 18:24   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I still drool over everytime i see a Fortuner.

My heart still beats for the Fortuner.
Completely agree with Charthom! The above two statements are good enough to get the booking amount out
Decide on the colour and accessories, and check-in to the assembly-line immediately after the delivery

All the best!
Old 18th July 2011, 18:32   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My heart still beats for the Fortuner.

Is Fortuner that bad. After reading your post, i think i will arrange for a back-to-back test ride with my parents. Please let me know if your FIL owned a 8 seater or a 7 seater with captain seats.
Before I say something let me tell you I drive a Innova everyday in the city traffic for 50kms in total.

Innova- Its an extremely boring car. All you do is fill the tank up and drive. Drive through excellent city roads, Crowded city traffic, pothole ridden road, road ridden potholes! Just keep driving and the car just keeps running on and on. It won't give you any complaints, no noises, no unwanted surprises of any sorts. I have driven it for 75k kms and this includes many highway trips with 8 people and luggage on board. Many of my dad's friends borrow the car many time for there highway trips and my dad is someone who just wont refuse you for the car ( I hate giving my car away but have no say in this). So basically what I am trying to say is that its gone into multiple hands and some of them would have driven it rashly, yet there is absolutely no sound or trouble of anykind.

But having said that when it was launched it was a new design and appealed to everyone. But now we are used to it and coupled with the fact that its entered the Taxi industry has taken away a lot of shine from this otherwise gem of a vehicle. But this is only in regards to the Exterior design.

Fortuner- Even my heart wants one. Everytime I see it on the road I want to upgrade to it from the Innova. But this is a matter of fact that the seating comfort of the fortuner or anyother SUV is inferior to the Innova. I myself being 5'11" and hefty have travelled in the back seat(3rd row) sometimes over long 4-5 hour drives. The space is excellent.

So there is no point in taking your parents for a TD as I am sure it will only complicate things in your mind. They will mostly love the Innova ( given you TD the cars for a good 10-15kms). But the problem is you like fortuner's looks.

In my humble opinion go for the Innova. You like the fortuner basically for its looks. I am assuming you don't do any off-roading. Its human nature to crave for things which are not there with us. Once you buy a fortuner and drive it for a couple of years you will tend to get bored with it too and start liking something thats another segment above. The market would have thrown in many new cars by then with new design languages and higher levels of Gizmos.

PS: Thats just my view. Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps you. In the end both the cars are fantastic vehicles in there own way. Cheers!

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th July 2011 at 18:35.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your inputs.
Is Fortuner that bad. After reading your post, i think i will arrange for a back-to-back test ride with my parents. Please let me know if your FIL owned a 8 seater or a 7 seater with captain seats.
Yeah please do arrange for a back to back test drive, it will give you a much better understanding.

My FIL owned the 8 seater. In the middle row, it is the middle seat (or the 5th passenger seat) where the real difference lies. The Innova is much more comfortable, but in the Fortuner it bulges out slightly making it very uncomfortable on long journeys. Also, I felt the third row is more spacious in the Innova, this point will be useful to you as you said you are a family of 6.

Obviously my observations are entirely based on a practical mind, there is nothing to replace the butch looks and the overall feel of the car.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 16:43   #49
BHPian

Image : Fortuner
Utility : Innova and Fortuner
Safety : Fortuner ofcourse. This is paramount and is taken lightly by many.
Finally Money : Innova is better deal.

But all said and as once quoted by Bertrand D'souza(Over Drive) that it is better to have a big SUV with solid lights like fortuner in our highways, as seeing the two xenon in the rear mirror, automatically the vehicle ahead of you let's you pass through. So if money is not constraint Fortuner is ideal.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Curious as to why you think the Fortuner is safer than the Innova? I think both have abs, and 2 airbags? Then how?
Old 19th July 2011, 19:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: Innova Top End or Fortuner MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Fortuner over Innova-
  • Image.
  • Looks. SUV vs MUV here.
  • The 3.0 engine, the Innova's engine is WEAK in comparison.
  • The bad road ride quality. Yes i know Innova has flatter ride but the extra travel in Fortuner's suspension can soak up worst of the roads.
  • The AWD, Go Anywhere capability and the rugged nature.
  • Whilst retaining most of the seating flexibility of Innova
  • FE not bad. Our Fortuner's MID shows 11kpl for last few thousand kms for just city use, Innova will give you 12 in similar usage.
If your usage is just limited to on road travel, Looks and Image are not important, Performance is on low priority and just ability to transport passengers in comfort is important, Innova might make more sense to you.
Innova over Fortuner
Cheaper to buy.
Oodles of space.
Cheaper to run.
More popular => more people with knowledge of repairing simple problems.
Easier to dispose -> the market for used Innovas is better than used Fortuners.

So net, net - listen to your head instead of your heart
Old 20th July 2011, 00:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Curious as to why you think the Fortuner is safer than the Innova? I think both have abs, and 2 airbags? Then how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki
Also to add to Akshay, - they have the same chasis as well. So while fortuner benefits from a slightly higher weight, that may mean marginally lower impact deceleration of about 5% or so, I dont see a a difference that is large. Marginal, maybe but not significant.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 20th July 2011 at 00:43.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Also to add to Akshay, - they have the same chasis as well. So while fortuner benefits from a slightly higher weight, that may mean marginally lower impact deceleration of about 5% or so, I dont see a a difference that is large. Marginal, maybe but not significant.
Well the body shape plays a part, the Innova having a short bonnet that too sloping,more mono volume like, while the T-Fort has a more traditional decent length high bonnet which in itself is a safety aspect.
The T-fort has more stronger body and sheet metal than the Innova if am not wrong, but i don' know sure about active safety( safe handling)
Old 20th July 2011, 10:36   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well the body shape plays a part, the Innova having a short bonnet that too sloping,more mono volume like, while the T-Fort has a more traditional decent length high bonnet which in itself is a safety aspect.
The T-fort has more stronger body and sheet metal than the Innova if am not wrong, but i don' know sure about active safety( safe handling)
I think the Innova would be more friendly towards a pedestrian in case of a crash because of the bonnet. I would also think that they use the same sheet metal for both.

If anything the Fortuners AWD might aid in getting out of a hairy situation.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the Innova would be more friendly towards a pedestrian in case of a crash because of the bonnet. I would also think that they use the same sheet metal for both.
If anything the Fortuners AWD might aid in getting out of a hairy situation.
C'mon ,really caring about the pedestrian ala European style. Not that am under valueing a human live, it's just that in our roads few buses and many trucks have high ground clearance that will swallow any vehicles under it except SUVs or other trucks/buses.
It's surely improving,most new buses are low floor and the new trucks have side and rear impact bars that will prevent cars from going underneath.
And sheet metal,from personal perspective Innova has thinner sheet metal while in GTO's review said that the T-Fort has thicker sheet metal gauge.
But i won't refrain from my earlier comment. the Innova is more practical for @MAS, but he going after his heart.So T-Fort.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
This is wrt to a recent accident I had where, I was waiting(stationery mode) in a signal and a car came and banged my car from the rear. My car being a sedan whole impact was felt by the dicky. It got crumpled. My kids where there at the back and with god's fortune nothing happened to either of them. From that day onward, I feel bigger and sturdier the vehicle the lesser than chance of people at back getting hurt. Fortuner being much taller and wider than innova may/or will have better chance in such conditions.

Even though wheel base is same it is taller, wider and longer than innova.

BTW the guy who hit my back did not have ABS( it was Ritz LDI model).
Old 21st July 2011, 12:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me if this was mentioned before (don't think it was).

There is a new Innova on the horizon. I think I read it in ACI that it is to launch in (mid?) 2012. They have found the current one so well accepted by the market that they didn't even know what to improve. IIRC it was to be slightly larger than the current one.

Also read on the forum that the Fortuner may be coming up with an interiors' upgrade.

@Mas, from what I read above, one way to look at it may be to take your parents for the Fortuner TD and see if they find the middle row comfortable enough. If yes - Fortuner. If no - TD the Innova (presumably they would find it more than comfortable) and go for it!

But since you aren't in a hurry, you may want to wait for the upcoming upgrades. Please do the research on if they really are coming up and not strangle my neck, in case you wait for them, and they aren't
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
C'mon ,really caring about the pedestrian ala European style.
Both from a "European - Caring" as well as a "Selfish - Not going to Jail" perspective, it is best that the the vehicles we drive are as safe as possible for the pedesterian.

Of course we all want to drive safe and pray that we never hit anyone even if it is their mistake - touchwood.
Old 24th July 2011, 08:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

Slightly off topic but has anyone actually done up the Fortuner or the Innova with the DC interior treatment (it's in all the magazines every month). Standard product retailing at about 5-6 lakhs.

Any reviews of that and reports on it's reliability as well as comfort quality etc?
Old 24th July 2011, 12:40   #60
rbp
BHPian

We have a Innova as well as a Fortuner in our house, I would any day prefer travelling in the Innova as the Fortuner is bumpy and head room is less. You have also mentioned about your parents being old, my dad(70yrs) has a knee problem and mom(60+) has a tough time getting into the Fortuner, they literally have to climb the Fortuner because of the height, they always prefer the Innova.
But I have to agree that the Innova is one of the most boring vehicles to drive around. If power and image is the highest criteria I would say go for Fortuner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks