Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 12:51   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

I have said this before and I'm repeating it again. If your not into offroading and don't need the 4WD get the Innova.

You want more power go for a Petes box and you get 127bhp. Not happy with the handling? Change to 225/60-15 tyres and it will improve the road grip by a big margin.

You get the same comfort but now you can take on a ANHC or Corolla/Civic on the highway easily.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 20:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Innova rides better than Fortuner. Fortuners ride a dealbreaker for the elderly, esp. on a long drive.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th July 2011, 23:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Innova rides better than Fortuner. Fortuners ride a dealbreaker for the elderly, esp. on a long drive.

Regards
Sutripta
MAS,
Was going through the thread and your dilemma. I have only point to make. If you want to be chauffered around or chauffer folks around , go for an Innova. If you prefer to drive and enjoy driving, go for the Fortuner. I have a Fortuner for the last year and a half and find it a fantastic vehicle. I have travelled in Innovas many times, it's a comfortable vehicle to be driven around in, but then so is any other good sedan.
I wanted a vehicle with the reliability of an Innova but without it's "taxi" badge and the Fortuner fits the bill to a T.
Old 25th July 2011, 05:54   #64
BHPian

might sound stupid, but then is there not a big difference in the attainable top speed by a T-fort and an innova?
Old 25th July 2011, 10:44   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
might sound stupid, but then is there not a big difference in the attainable top speed by a T-fort and an innova?
With Pete's or without? The Innova tops out at 160kmph while the Fortuner apparently crosses 180kmph.
Old 25th July 2011, 14:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
With Pete's or without? The Innova tops out at 160kmph while the Fortuner apparently crosses 180kmph.
Are you sure ?
I think the diesel Innova tops out at around 4K rpm in 5th gear. Considering the gearing, I think that max diesel Innova can do is around 145 kmph. My friend who has Innova has similar opinion and he has tried maxing it out multiple times on expresshighway.
If anybody who has stock diesel Innova, do confirm this.
Petrol is known to hit 160 kmph.

Fortuner is in a different league altogether as far as cruising speed is concerned and one can maintain that speed even on bad roads in Fortuner.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:21   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Are you sure ?
I think the diesel Innova tops out at around 4K rpm in 5th gear. Considering the gearing, I think that max diesel Innova can do is around 145 kmph. My friend who has Innova has similar opinion and he has tried maxing it out multiple times on expresshighway.

Fortuner is in a different league altogether as far as cruising speed is concerned and one can maintain that speed even on bad roads in Fortuner.
The top speed without Pete's will be around 145 probably. But with Pete's it gets more torque so it goes upto 155 with effort, and then struggles on to 160/165. The petrol Innova too crosses 180kmph.

EDIT - vinjosep - Yes the stock Innova above 105kmph does start feeling strained. But with Pete's it feels pretty normal till about 120/125kmph.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th July 2011 at 15:27.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quote:
Are you sure ?

I was refering to the stock setup. My FIL has an innova and I have driven it around quite a bit. The cruising speed, without too much of a strain, as far I could see was around 100-110kph. I felt the engine to be strained when i tried for a higher speed. (yes, it was capable of a reaching a higer speed but the engine clutter etc were high)

From the ownership reports, seems its easy to hover around 140kmph in the Fortuner. is this the case?

Last edited by vinjosep : 25th July 2011 at 15:26.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I was refering to the stock setup. My FIL has an innova and I have driven it around quite a bit. The cruising speed, without too much of a strain, as far I could see was around 100-110kph. I felt the engine to be strained when i tried for a higher speed. (yes, it was capable of a reaching a higer speed but the engine clutter etc were high)

From the ownership reports, seems its easy to hover around 140kmph in the Fortuner. is this the case?
Correct. Innova is quick till 100-110. After 120, the strain is there, but it would still go to higher speed.

Fortuner on the other hand can easily do 140. After around 150, the high CofG does not give the same planted feeling. My dad's friend has Corsa and Fortuner. He has similar view that Fortuner can cruise at 130-140 with ease and will cross 165 without any complain.

At the same time, I would still recommend anybody Innova as far as comfort goes. 100-110 are safe enough speed on Indian roads. Beyond that its certainly not safe on our operating conditions ( including roads ). Innova has everything to do this speed sufficiently while carrying 7/8 passengers. Fortuner makes sense if serious offroading is required.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner is not a people mover, Innova is. For six persons and long drive the Innova beats Fortuner any day. You get better space management and softer ride. I for one would never go beyond 120 on our highways with six persons aboard, occasionally yes, but sustained 140 no, these speeds are for sedans not for tall MPV and SUV.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 15:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure ?

The stock Diesel Innova can do 160+ . The rev limiter does struggle to cross 4k rpm but you have to give it sometime there. Of course I am unsure if any speed higher than 120 Kmph is sane on our roads? Even in the US, majority of speed limits are 55-65mph and a few places allow you to do 75 mph.

I agree that Innova is short geared and would benefit immensly from a taller gearing like the Fortuner.

PS : I have a 2009 Diesel VX model

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th July 2011 at 16:02.
Old 16th February 2012, 18:44   #72
BHPian

So finally which one you drived home ?
Old 29th April 2012, 00:51   #73

Hi Guys, I don’t know if this is the right forum for my question but please move it to relevant section if this is not the correct one.

I have recently bought a Innova 2012 (7S) model and primarily I was looking for middle row comfort and good AC. Since this vehicle would be driven by driver, I was sure this is the best vehicle plus keeping in mind the overall low running costs.
Also the big reason was that my close friend has a 2006 Innova 2006 V (7S) model and I had driven it considerably and even enjoyed the second row ride in great comfort. The AC has always been a Chiller. So that prompted me to go for Innova as I thought this is the best one for me.

Now the problem:
The ride quality of the middle row is not upto the same mark as the old Innova. The current ride is lot bumpier that the old one. Though the suspension is same, noiseless, but the current one bounces quite a bit when there are just two people (driver and me). In the same combination, the ride in 2006 model was plush and comfortable. The seats in 2012 model shake a lots on just small uneven surface. If I keep my head on the headrest, it just keep on bouncing. I tried to reduce the tyre pressure to 32psi, but that is also not helping. Can anybody throw light on what could be the problem? Is it that this is new vehicle and will settle down in suspension after few thousand km? Does this happen to all new vehicles, initially and am I overacting? Frankly, I am little lost as I have a huge trust on Toyota, specially seeing the quality of my friends Innova, which has done almost 1 lac plus km and still going strong and comfortable.
Also the AC in my vehicle is not upto that mark. No doubt it is working fine, but in no way it is Chiller like the old Innova and does take time to cool down the cabin. No Chilling, even after long drive. I tried to show it to service station and I was told that it is just fine…which is hard to believe.
I know I am comparing the 2006 model to 2012 model, but my assumption was that they must have improved the 2012 model, after being in market for so long but what is coming out that they have reduced the quality level?

Is this right? Any thought on the suspension issue as that is creating more problem than the Ac issue?

Appreciate your views guys.
nottobesaid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 11:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

The reasons can be the following
. Most probable the tyre pressure is too high. Check and adjust it.
. The tyre sidewalls may be rigid in the new car. Please check the make and change them to a better tyre.
. The suspension may have been stiffened up. Discuss the issue with the Toyota engineers at the work shop, for all you know the shock absorbers may be defective (stiffer than usual), in that case get them changed under warranty.

Or else the older vehicle must have had more people, say five or six, and in the new vehicle there are just two of you.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottobesaid View Post
Hi Guys, I don’t know if this is the right forum for my question but please move it to relevant section if this is not the correct one.
Is this right? Any thought on the suspension issue as that is creating more problem than the Ac issue?

Appreciate your views guys.
I do remember that my Innova's ride improved after the first 1000 kms or so. But also, meanwhile please check the air pressure very carefully. The meter you are relying on, may be defective. I have asked them to fill 31 Psimany times and ended up wtih 35 or even 42 once.

The low speed ride of Innova is a bit firm and has always been that way. In addition, the ride of Innova is extremely sensitive to tire pressure and I suggest that you try with 30 psi first and then gradually build up from there. To give an example, I get an extremely cushy ride at 30 psi that turns to an extremely bumpy ride at 33-34 psi if I am the only one in the car. I use225/60 tires and not the original 205/65 mileage oriented lot.

Once you have confirmed that the meter is allright, give it 1-2 k kms and a little lower pressure (even try 28 - 29 for a day and see) till then and you should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks