Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 12:57   #76
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottobesaid View Post
Now the problem:
The ride quality of the middle row is not upto the same mark as the old Innova. The current ride is lot bumpier that the old one. Though the suspension is same, noiseless, but the current one bounces quite a bit when there are just two people (driver and me). In the same combination, the ride in 2006 model was plush and comfortable. The seats in 2012 model shake a lots on just small uneven surface. If I keep my head on the headrest, it just keep on bouncing. I tried to reduce the tyre pressure to 32psi, but that is also not helping. Can anybody throw light on what could be the problem? Is it that this is new vehicle and will settle down in suspension after few thousand km? Does this happen to all new vehicles, initially and am I overacting? Frankly, I am little lost as I have a huge trust on Toyota, specially seeing the quality of my friends Innova, which has done almost 1 lac plus km and still going strong and comfortable.
Also the AC in my vehicle is not upto that mark. No doubt it is working fine, but in no way it is Chiller like the old Innova and does take time to cool down the cabin. No Chilling, even after long drive. I tried to show it to service station and I was told that it is just fine…which is hard to believe.

Is this right? Any thought on the suspension issue as that is creating more problem than the Ac issue?

Appreciate your views guys.
Suggest:
1) Try checking Air at another Petrol Pump. - Start from 30psi then increase to 31 and then finally to 32. Have felt that HP pumps meters tend to give a higher air pressure then BP ones, so 33 in BP is about 31 in HP. But that could be restricted to the pumps close to my home.
2) Increase tyre size to 225/65/R15, from 205/65/R15. But the ride in the new one compared to the 2006 one should have be same or better with the same tyres. So do also check if it is the same brand of tyres that you have been comparing in the two vehicles. Tyres brands too have a major impact on the vehicle ride.
3) If the earlier model that you had a manual AC and the newer one has the ACC then that can impact how we view the AC, the automatic climate control AC's tend to seem to chill lesser. This is true of almost all ACC units. This can be take care of to some extent by manually setting the AC for medium blower and placing the temp at Lowest level. But still though it may be closer to the previous experience it may not exactly match it. It could also be that since this is Apr, your memory is not exactly comparing the summer to summer chilling.
4) Also the ride should improve with about a few more kms under the belt. - Do note I have not really been on a drive in the latest Innova so commenting bases genrics.
Old 14th July 2012, 14:01   #77
BHPian

Hi all. I'm too in the same boat and I'm confused between the Fortuner Auto and the Innova VX diesel. (Price difference is not an issue)
The vehicle (chauffer driven) will primarily be used by my wife and 2 kids and maid to travel between Chandigrh and Delhi. She is adamant that she will not be seen in the Innova (no offence to Innova owners as that is just her opinion) and I have tried to explain to her that Innova back seat will be much more comfy for her and the kids, but to no effect. For Chandigarh in-city use, here most of the roads are more or less 10/10, so that part is not much of a problem.
Is there any way to make the ride more compliant/less bumpy in the Fortuner?

Last edited by ackyash : 14th July 2012 at 14:03. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 14th July 2012, 16:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Hi all. I'm too in the same boat and I'm confused between the Fortuner Auto and the Innova VX diesel. (Price difference is not an issue)
The vehicle (chauffer driven) will primarily be used by my wife and 2 kids and maid to travel between Chandigrh and Delhi. She is adamant that she will not be seen in the Innova (no offence to Innova owners as that is just her opinion) and I have tried to explain to her that Innova back seat will be much more comfy for her and the kids, but to no effect. For Chandigarh in-city use, here most of the roads are more or less 10/10, so that part is not much of a problem.
Is there any way to make the ride more compliant/less bumpy in the Fortuner?
Yes the fortuner has the road presence that the Innova does not, though the Innova would be the right choice, I do understand your wife's sentiments. If the fortuner is going to be chauffer driven why take the automatic version, the manual will suffice.

Another option is to take the Innova and do the DC convert (5 lakhs extra), I have seen and sat in an DC Innova (my aunt has it) and trust me nothing can match the comfort. The amount of gizmos will just blow you away.

But if I were you and since the car will be chauffer driven I would have opted for the Skoda Superb or the VW Passat/Jetta. They both will have a much better ride and comfort and also space than the Fortuner.

Best of luck for your decision, keep us informed.

Last edited by xtremeshock : 14th July 2012 at 16:13.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner middle seat is ordinary, and it is not meant to be a chauffeur driven vehicle - as a Fortuner owner I can say that. If you don't need a 4WD, then you will be buying the Fortuner only for the image.

You should explore other vehicles that are more middle-seat passenger friendly.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:18   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

If your wife is very conscious about image and does not like the comfortable but taxi ish Innova, then maybe you should consider the Captiva or Santa Fe. both of these are comfy soft roaders and their middle seat comfort is better than that of the Fortuner.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 19:23   #81
BHPian

If you are going to drive yourself most of the time then there is a Fortuner variant with automatic transmission available, whereas Innovas are not offered with automatics in India at least.

Especially if there is going to be a lot of city driving involved an AT would make more sense.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am in exactly the same Dilemma,

Innova is a great Highway cruiser and most comfortable 3rd row seat.

Fortuner - if you plan to do some off-roading and some non-highway trips.

I would suggest Fortuner 4X4 as it has a better "image" that the taxi image of Innova.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:38   #83
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Just over a year after starting this thread, I have come a full circle, but I still haven't answered the question.

In the past one year, I sold the Fusion and bought the all new Fiesta. I sold off my first car, my loyal Santro. Now I'm looking at owning a pre-worshipped Fortuner to save on the Moolah (or the lack of it). My heart says Pre-worshipped Fortuner at 16 Lakhs. But my brain says I could as well buy a brand new Innova for the money.

I will be taking a decision in the next week. Will test drive both the cars tomorrow and look at the options available. Will keep this thread updated.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Just over a year after starting this thread, I have come a full circle, but I still haven't answered the question.

In the past one year, I sold the Fusion and bought the all new Fiesta. I sold off my first car, my loyal Santro. Now I'm looking at owning a pre-worshipped Fortuner to save on the Moolah (or the lack of it). My heart says Pre-worshipped Fortuner at 16 Lakhs. But my brain says I could as well buy a brand new Innova for the money.
My Suggestion - Its the fortuner anyday. Fortuner has a better image than the Innova. If you find a decent Fortuner at 16 lacs, grab it. It is difficult to find even 2009 models at 16 lacs.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 14th July 2012 at 23:50.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 23:57   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I'm looking at owning a pre-worshipped Fortuner to save on the Moolah (or the lack of it). My heart says Pre-worshipped Fortuner at 16 Lakhs. But my brain says I could as well buy a brand new Innova for the money.
Yup it looks like the second owner would take most of the depreciation hit when it comes to the Fortuner. A 2009 model with ODO @ 40-50k is selling at around 17+L. Say you buy such a vehicle then surely after 3-4 years of usage you should get around 9-10L for it. Mind boggling pricing according to me.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:02   #86
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
My Suggestion - Its the fortuner anyday. Fortuner has a better image than the Innova. If you find a decent ortuner at 16 lacs, grab it. It is difficult to find even 2009 models at 16 lacs.
Thanks Scorpiobharat. I'm already inclined towards the Fortuner.

I spoke to my good friend at MPL Ford. On my request he spoke to his friend working for Toyotautrust. According to him, the used car price of Fortuner (and Endy) have tumbled due to the success of XUV500. With the successful launch of Duster, prices are expected to come down even further. He advised me not to pay anything above 14.5 Lakhs for any of these cars and if the car is from a known circle, then I should pay 15 Lakhs.

I did see a few cars on-line where the owners have quoted as low as 16 odd Lakhs for a 2010-end car. This is before any sort of negotiations. I know it is going to be hard work, but I'm willing to put as much effort as I can to find myself a good example.

Last edited by MAS : 15th July 2012 at 00:11.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 06:48   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

It is heart and mind matter so logical points in favour of Innova would not make the grade. From my reading I would suggest Innova as VFM+New factors. Pre-owned at such high prices is not good buy.

Waiting for outcome of your decision process 8-)
Old 17th July 2012, 23:46   #88
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

This is a kind of anti-climax. I had a look at a number of fortuners and none of them were well kept (they were actually driven the way they are meant to be). Leather on the driver's seat was cracked, leather on the gear stick scuffed, paint on door panels and edges completely etched and the dealers were asking for a hefty price for these examples (17.5 - 18 Lakhs). I was prepared to shell out this amount for a well maintained Fortuner, but as I could not find a good one, suddenly I was not attracted to the Fortuner anymore.

At this point of time, my old friend and a used car valuer, comes up with a 19K done, extremely well maintained, Dec 2010 Endeavour 4x4, Diamond White with clean history (MPL Ford's Mr Rajan and Mr Sampath helped me here and gave the car a clean chit). Checked the Vehicle today and after spending a little more than an evening with the car, I was ready to buy it.

I had earlier called up few dealers to check the prices. They were offering a April 2010 Endeavour for 16.50 Lakhs and a June 2011 car for 19.5 Lakhs.. When I approached them as a seller (19K done Dec 2010 D White Endeavour) they offered me between 14 - 14.50 Lakhs. Car Wale suggested a price of 15 Lakhs. Armed with this information, i sealed the deal for 14.50 Lakhs and will be taking delivery during the course of this week.

This will be my third Ford and both my current cars will be from the blue oval (New Fiesta and this Endeavour). I will put up the ownership thread as soon as I get it home.

Last edited by MAS : 17th July 2012 at 23:54.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:20   #89
BANNED

Quote:
At this point of time, my old friend and a used car valuer, comes up with a 19K done, extremely well maintained, Dec 2010 Endeavour 4x4, Diamond White with clean history (MPL Ford's Mr Rajan and Mr Sampath helped me here and gave the car a clean chit). Checked the Vehicle today and after spending a little more than an evening with the car, I was ready to buy it
It is certainly a good deal since the Endy is as good as new MAS. Also, the Endy being an automatic, will serve you well in the crowded streets of Chennai.
Congrats on sealing the deal and looking forward to your ownership thread.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 10:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Armed with this information, i sealed the deal for 14.50 Lakhs and will be taking delivery during the course of this week.

This will be my third Ford and both my current cars will be from the blue oval (New Fiesta and this Endeavour). I will put up the ownership thread as soon as I get it home.
Wow, very good deal. You are buying a vehicle that you had left out initially .
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed